PDA

View Full Version : Castletown eye sore

caithnessmw
06-Apr-11, 05:06
Can anyone tell me what that is next to the Castletown Drill Hall. It has a Norscot sticker on the front of it. I thought it might have been for a new build near the main road of Castletown but it doesn't look like it. It has been there for 2 years +. Anyone like to let me know what that eye sore is for?

Gronnuck
06-Apr-11, 09:08
You might want to contact Norscot at their Bower Workshops. The telephone number is: 01955 641303

SunnyChick
06-Apr-11, 09:14
Maybe it's a work in progress?

That part of Castletown isn't looking too good at the moment anyway, what with that boarded up project next to the Drill Hall, and then the burnt out Taj Mahal opposite and empty garage. It's a real shame, as the rest of the main road which runs through Castletown is pleasant enough. The Drill Hall looks like it needs a bit of money spending on it too.

But it's all time and money, and there's just never enough of those things around.

maidencaithness
07-Apr-11, 07:47
the Drill Hall has just had £30,000 spent on the small hall, the windows are next to be upgraded as you say it all takes time and money.

badger
07-Apr-11, 10:46
There's a Community Council meeting in the Drill Hall this evening (I think, unless it's been changed - should be a poster in the PO window) so why not come and ask as I know they've been trying to get Norscot to do something about it for ages. They weren't able to build what they wanted so having made a mess of it they seem to have just abandoned it.

plumber
07-Apr-11, 11:44
What on earth has the small hall needed? That all that money has been spent on it. Didn't think it was old enough to justify spending that kind of money on it.

Eilanboy
07-Apr-11, 11:56
What on earth has the small hall needed? That all that money has been spent on it. Didn't think it was old enough to justify spending that kind of money on it.

Plumber think you will find it was badly water damaged over the winter due to a burst pipe

plumber
07-Apr-11, 12:05
What a shame, sorry to hear that.

SunnyChick
07-Apr-11, 12:57
:)

The small hall was in desperate need, it'll be looking fabulous after that money. Each thing one step at a time.

caithnessmw
21-Oct-16, 08:37
Over 6 years later, it's looking a lot worse. At least there is some building going on in the Main Street.

mi16
21-Oct-16, 08:55
Castletown has always been a hole, and always will be it seems

Recycle it
21-Oct-16, 18:26
Castletown needs a much stronger community council that pushes forward with the issues that directly effect the community and are up for taking those who are hell bent on bring things down to book . Name and Shame really works, the highland council should hold those folk to book for failing the stitch to the planning they got , if they don't do what was promised legal action should be an opinion that the defaulters expense .

hells_belle
21-Oct-16, 19:14
the highland council have no room to speak .castletown old cemetery is an utter disgrace,a fortnight ago i got in touch with council and offered to clean it up free of charge,and have yet to get a decision.to many cut backs is no excuse.

Scout
21-Oct-16, 20:01
I think Castletown is nice pretty village. It has good Children play ground and football ground as well. You can nick and pick little things, but most has good shops and history with great harbour area.

silkie
21-Oct-16, 20:02
In reply to the Castletown eye sore posts of 21st October, why criticize the Community council who are in the older age group and are few in numbers and doing all they can but come along to the meetings and give them support. If anyone of the public can help please come along
next Thursday and air your views to the community council at their meeting in the small drill hall at 19 30 . I am sure they will make you most welcome
The work in the cemetary has now started an they are doing a very good job with their limited resources

hells_belle
21-Oct-16, 20:19
am very pleased to hear it,just a shame its been so neglected in the first place.

Goodfellers
22-Oct-16, 10:18
http://norscotkits.co.uk/homes-for-sale/

hells_belle
25-Oct-16, 12:37
was up at cemetary today,the very top cemetary untouched,between trees that have fallen and broken grave stones and ivy covering stones got to take my hat of to council,what an absolute joke.

onespace
25-Oct-16, 14:51
Since when has broken gravestones been the responsibility of the Council ? It's up to the plot owners to maintain them. And since the very top cemetery is centuries old I can't imagine there's many next of kin around. The other two cemeteries at Olrig are well maintained.

Another moaner for moaning sake.

hells_belle
25-Oct-16, 16:06
words fail me

cptdodger
25-Oct-16, 18:50
was up at cemetary today,the very top cemetary untouched,between trees that have fallen and broken grave stones and ivy covering stones got to take my hat of to council,what an absolute joke.

Although onespace could have put it a bit nicer he is right. If you have a look at this it is basically saying as follows -

It also recommended that the following matters should be included in regulations:

Memorial masons operating in cemeteries or churchyards (both local authority and private) should be able to show that they have proper training, certificates and accreditation for both business and fixers. At present the national body the National Association of Memorial Masons ( NAMM), supports the British Register of Accredited Memorial Masons ( BRAMM). However, the Government acknowledges that other bodies that achieve necessary accreditation in fixing and fitting memorials could also be included in any future regulations if they can demonstrate the necessary quality controls and guarantee their workmanship.

That memorial masons supply a minimum 10 year guarantee for materials and fixing.

That there are adequate arrangements to ensure that after the guarantee period of 10 years has elapsed regular checks are made as to the safety of memorials, and that the cost of such checks would be the responsibility of the owners.

That owners are encouraged to take out insurance to protect their property.

That it is clearly stated that all responsibility for memorials / headstones is a matter for the person/s holding the exclusive right to erect a memorial.

I found that information on here - http://www.gov.scot/Publications/2010/01/26131024/5 this is a consultation paper which I think dates back to 2010, so whether it's in force now or not I don't know. If I were you I would contact your MP to clarify the situation.

I know where I come from some of our cemeteries are in a right state, due to erosion, in some cases flooding (trust me, that's not pleasant) and sadly vandalism. Whether the headstones are one or one hundred years old, it is still distressing to see broken and fallen headstones when visiting friends and families.

silkie
25-Oct-16, 20:18
Just to clear up a few facts about Olrig cemetery and the request to tidy up the middle cemetery.Not the old old one)
Work started about a week ago and is progressing well and credit must be given to the workmen who have done an excellent job by already removing all the offending ivy from the outside wall This has made a big difference to see all the grave stones again, and work is to continue with the rest as requested so hope there is no more negatives posted as we must remember money is scarce and a good job is being made.

onespace
25-Oct-16, 21:35
The middle and new cemeteries are indeed looking good - I was in them on Sunday. And the old one is fine too - it is a very old cemetery and it looks the part. So whoever is looking after ALL of them is doing a grand job.

It's therefore a shame that Castletown's greatest busy-body has to cast her aspersions at the wrong people over a non-problem as usual.

hells_belle
26-Oct-16, 08:24
am not casting aspersions.and am laughing at the she bit.away and boil your head.

onespace
26-Oct-16, 08:53
You obviously feel affinity with the term 'busy-body' then if you think the reference was about you. Your choice.

hells_belle
26-Oct-16, 08:59
pathetic wee troll lol