PDA

View Full Version : Buddleia

Liz
04-Sep-06, 18:11
Can anyone tell me whether the flowers which have turned brown should be removed?

Thanks!

sassylass
04-Sep-06, 20:35
yes, deadheading will prolong the blooming season.

Scunner
04-Sep-06, 21:57
yes, deadheading will prolong the blooming season.

With Buddleia?????????????

Liz
04-Sep-06, 22:03
So what do I do?

sassylass
04-Sep-06, 22:54
I've had luck with deadheading my buddleia. By snipping off the brown flowers, the shrub is encouraged to flower again.

Rheghead
05-Sep-06, 01:23
At the end of the flowering season, I think it is ok to cut it right back to about 12" tall for the winter and it will grow back 6' tall with gusto for next year.

Liz
05-Sep-06, 12:38
Wil
I've had luck with deadheading my buddleia. By snipping off the brown flowers, the shrub is encouraged to flower again.

Thanks! Will get the secateurs out!

It has been beautiful to see all the butterflies on the Buddleia on the nice sunny days.:D

Scunner
07-Sep-06, 08:51
The flowers come on last years growth, same as a honeysuckle, and raspberries.

Scunner
30-Nov-06, 12:58
Just read an article in Gardening Questions and Answers, to cut buddleia half back just now and then further back in the spring. Seemingly this stops it swaying in the wind and it will not suffer so much damage.

trinkie
30-Nov-06, 17:08
Yes, cut back now and again in spring. This will ensure that next year's blooms are all over the plant and not a straggly bush with flowers at the top.

They are easy to take cuttings from too - cut off at a heel and stick in the ground !

Liz
30-Nov-06, 19:29
Thanks for the advice both.

However my Buddleia is in the first year of growth so I think just a good cutting back in Spring should be okay as it isn't that tall?

sweetpea
30-Nov-06, 23:43
I have a big buddlea bush and I cut it back twice, once a good bit befor eit blooms, just as it's getting going and then to dead head it again later in the year