PDA

View Full Version : Stovies

Rubha_an_Tuir
04-Sep-06, 16:40
Had made a big roast yesterday and I'm going to make stovies tonight....any old Caithness cookin' tips for this king of Scottish dishes?

All advice welcome

Thanks

RaT

squidge
04-Sep-06, 16:44
Ooh we are having stovies tonight too and we had a roast last night too - OMG are you me??????:eek:

grumpyhippo
04-Sep-06, 18:29
You must use dripping (To L with your heart!)

You must burn the stovies to the bottom of the pan. Stovies is the only meal that that benefits from being burnt, in fact, the crispy burnt bits are the best.

Now can anybody give me advice on how to get a burnt stovies pan clean in less than two days soaking?

connieb19
04-Sep-06, 18:31
How do you make stovies? I always thought it was made with corned beef. :confused

pultneytooner
04-Sep-06, 18:43
Stovies recipe here (http://www.rampantscotland.com/recipes/blrecipe_stovies.htm)

Kingetter
04-Sep-06, 18:51
Just a thought - maybe any recipes could be added to the recipe board as there is one?

Whitewater
05-Sep-06, 09:35
I remember once at a Scout camp, I was doing the cooking, I had left over stew and tatties, tossed it all into the one pan, heated it up and served it for lunch. "Great stovies" came the appreciative reply, I never even knew what a stovie was. So there you go, must be many ways to make them as long as you have good leftovers.