PDA

View Full Version : Days you'd rather not remember

bagpuss
04-Apr-11, 20:07
Mother's Day has been raking in money for the supermarkets and florists over the past few days. However , for those who hve lost their mums, and don't have children themselves it can be a poignant reminder of things that are missing in one's life. Johnny Walker on Radio 2 made a very wise, tactful and sympathetic comment on this yesterday.

I spoke with a good friend last night on skype. His own mother died two years ago, and his much loved wife died last summer. He has two young daughters, and found the day incredibly difficult.

Valentines day; Christmas; Fathers Day; special birthdays- what and who do the orgers mss most?

Vistravi
04-Apr-11, 23:49
For me it is fathers day as my dad passed away in 2006.
But i would not choose to forget the day or him.

shazzap
04-Apr-11, 23:53
The day my son died.
The day we buried him.
The day my husband was told he had cancer.
The day my mother died.
The day i was told i had cancer.

Those are the main ones, but there are others.

The Drunken Duck
05-Apr-11, 00:03
Every 2nd of September. Nineteen colleagues gone in two accidents, one in 1995 and one in 2006. Same day, same squadron, same crew number .. just eleven years apart to the day.

lindsaymcc
05-Apr-11, 08:44
7th August 2004 when I lost my mum. My eldest child was only 2 weeks old. Very sudden, and 48 is no age for a person to die.

Mothers Day is very hard, as are the anniversaries of her birthday, death, wedding anniversary etc etc etc

Of course, most events make you sit back and realise there is someone missing.

golach
05-Apr-11, 08:51
I could list many days I would rather not remember, but I find that so depressing and morbid. I much prefer looking forward to the future, like a visit tomorrow of my Caithness grandson, and my number three Grandaughter preparing to go and sing in New York in Central Park with her Mum and Nana, all three are members of the Lothian & Borders police choir.

Hoida
05-Apr-11, 10:23
Mothers day ia very hard but I have so many wonderful memories of my dear mum I try and focus on them. That also goes for my dad as well as I was very close to both.

lexie
05-Apr-11, 17:58
everybody must have days they would rather forget or has memories.....

for me mothers day was .... a knock at the door and a huge bunch of my favorite flowers from my girls with a card that had such a wonderfull message, that made me cry with happiness... bless them

ellimac
06-Apr-11, 10:14
For me its Mother's Day and Father's Day.....

Just reminds me how much I have missed them and how I wish they were still here and be able to meet my girls, their Grandchildren...

I'll always be greatful for all my memories and picture's I have off my Mum and Dad and also my Brother.....

Miss you all..xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

oldmarine
06-Apr-11, 15:06
Mother's Day has been raking in money for the supermarkets and florists over the past few days. However , for those who hve lost their mums, and don't have children themselves it can be a poignant reminder of things that are missing in one's life. Johnny Walker on Radio 2 made a very wise, tactful and sympathetic comment on this yesterday.

I spoke with a good friend last night on skype. His own mother died two years ago, and his much loved wife died last summer. He has two young daughters, and found the day incredibly difficult.

Valentines day; Christmas; Fathers Day; special birthdays- what and who do the orgers mss most?

At 85 years of age and reading the posts to date helps me to remember pleasant thoughts that some prefer to forget. I remember the wife who died from ovarian cancer after giving me two wonderful children before she died. I remember the children's elementary school teacher who reached out and touched me and the children after we lost our dear one. We were married and she brought forth two more children for me. I have always said "God took one home and He gave me another". I remember all the comrades I had known throughout WW2. Some of them lost their lives during that horrible war, but others survived and stayed in touch until they died natural deaths. My parents are gone plus a sister and one brother. I consider myself blessed with pleasant memories of everything. I believe we have to take everything into perspective.

gleeber
06-Apr-11, 15:20
At 85 years of age and reading the posts to date helps me to remember pleasant thoughts that some prefer to forget.

I suspect when I'm 85 Ill consider the past slightly different than I consider it now at 63. Youve done your bit olmarine and some of the documentaries I watch about the Pacific campaign tells me you did more than most.
I think much of the way we view the past will be governed by how much we presume about the future. With a bit of luck I could push another 30 years before I lose it so the future looks rosier than a 90 year old. You never know though. :lol:
I dont linger too much on the past although its there all the time.

ducati
06-Apr-11, 15:32
At 85 years of age and reading the posts to date helps me to remember pleasant thoughts that some prefer to forget. I remember the wife who died from ovarian cancer after giving me two wonderful children before she died. I remember the children's elementary school teacher who reached out and touched me and the children after we lost our dear one. We were married and she brought forth two more children for me. I have always said "God took one home and He gave me another". I remember all the comrades I had known throughout WW2. Some of them lost their lives during that horrible war, but others survived and stayed in touch until they died natural deaths. My parents are gone plus a sister and one brother. I consider myself blessed with pleasant memories of everything. I believe we have to take everything into perspective.

oldmarine, my Great Grandfather was a soldier, my Grandfather was a soldier, my Father was a soldier, it is thanks to you and people like you that I am not and never will be a soldier. Thank You