PDA

View Full Version : Dihydrogen Monoxide

Phill
01-Apr-11, 22:40
Should we be concerned?? :eek:

http://www.dhmo.org/

orkneycadian
01-Apr-11, 22:57
Looks bleeding lethal to me! I think it should be banned.

roadbowler
01-Apr-11, 23:16
quick one before midnight eh?

orkneycadian
01-Apr-11, 23:18
Don't mind if I do. Some DHMO in it or straight?

Phill
01-Apr-11, 23:20
quick one before midnight eh?
Never one to refuse a quickie (best not tell the missus though)

ducati
01-Apr-11, 23:29
I wasn't :eek:

joxville
02-Apr-11, 10:39
Yes, especially when some thoughtless people use it, and I quote from the website "as a major ingredient in many home-brewed bombs" :eek:

orkneycadian
02-Apr-11, 10:44
As co-incidence would have it, I also use it as a major ingredient in many home brewed beers!

Gronnuck
02-Apr-11, 11:20
Well I'm sure someone in the grubbiement will write a paper about it minimising the problems then repackage it and introduce a tax on it. Then ten years from now there will be a review, the Daily Mirror will report a major scandal and will reveal the CEO of the manufacturers is the very politician who wrote the original paper.

Dizzymilly
02-Apr-11, 12:23
Can you buy this stuff locally?

lol

secrets in symmetry
03-Apr-11, 13:48
Don't forget that this seemingly harmless liquid was the source of the hydrogen that caused the explosions at Fukushima's nuclear reactors. It's truly explosive stuff.

orkneycadian
03-Apr-11, 14:02
It would also appear to be partly to blame for todays home brew hangover (someone else brew this weekend....), having been the major constituent of what was in a glass last night, and the carrier for ingredients even more potent! :cool:

secrets in symmetry
03-Apr-11, 14:09
You are absolutely right. Like alcohol, two thirds of its atoms are hydrogen. Its sale should be regulated in the same way.

orkneycadian
03-Apr-11, 14:15
Nah, if you regulate and tax it to the hilt like alcohol, folk are only going to start brewing their own DHMO. That in itself is fairly hazardous, as I hear to do it you need a cylinder of oxygen, a cylinder of hydrogen, a match and a pair of earmuffs amongst your brewing kit. Even then, the amount of DHMO yielded is minimal, especially considering the mess your house is now in....

secrets in symmetry
03-Apr-11, 14:54
Can you not extract it from sea water, as has been suggested for lithium and uranium?

John Little
03-Apr-11, 15:03
The dangers surrounding this substance have been exaggerated- it is present in some quantity in your food and drink and there is always a certain background level of it present in the air you breathe. So long as it does not reach such levels as to saturate the osmotic process in your lungs you are usually quite safe with it.

Dadie
03-Apr-11, 16:06
Just dont leave the DHMO outlets in your house running!
Makes a fair old mess.

orkneycadian
03-Apr-11, 16:37
The dangers surrounding this substance have been exaggerated

Try telling that to Capt Edward John Smith (assuming there is an afterlife and you can find a medium that works....)

I seem to recall he had a right old bout of trouble with DHMO in both its solid and liquid forms, and probably wished he had never encountered the stuff.

John Little
03-Apr-11, 16:51
As I recall Captain Smith had an encounter with a funnel which fell on him, and reputedly died shouting 'Be British.' This clearly indicates that he was a Unionist, but not that his untimely demise was due to DHMO in its solid form- which, as any whisky drinker knows, must be treated with respect.

orkneycadian
03-Apr-11, 17:09
This appears at odds with some postings on another thread. On there, we were informed that the probability of anyone being slaughtered by a chimney was ridiculously low. But yet, you claim this was the very reason for the demise of Capt Smith? Curious....

That aside, the more commonly accepted record of Capt Smiths last words is "Where the [goodness gracious me] is all this dihydrogen monoxide coming from?" - The "Be British" suggestion would hint more at him being a BNP supporter rather than a Unionist.

Anyone know any good mediums we could ask for clarification?

ducati
03-Apr-11, 17:22
I've come across a formula for instant DHMO on the internet, it seems relatively straight forward..........

John Little
03-Apr-11, 17:38
This appears at odds with some postings on another thread. On there, we were informed that the probability of anyone being slaughtered by a chimney was ridiculously low. But yet, you claim this was the very reason for the demise of Capt Smith? Curious....

That aside, the more commonly accepted record of Capt Smiths last words is "Where the [goodness gracious me] is all this dihydrogen monoxide coming from?" - The "Be British" suggestion would hint more at him being a BNP supporter rather than a Unionist.

Anyone know any good mediums we could ask for clarification?

I think that in the context of the time his being BNP is unlikely as it would pre-date the existence of the first Fascist party. However the 'Be British' thing came from a book published in the 1930s at a time when many contemporaries were alive - it was called '50 amazing disasters which shook the world.' However on the net I found this;

http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/be-british-my-men-capt-smiths-order.html

Which has him yelling it from the Bridge- so if he yelled it later as the funnel fell on him it might seem that he had a thing about Unionism which he carried in extremis. However it may be that the eyewitness confuted two separate incidents. If I still have the book I shall investigate further.