PDA

View Full Version : Steve Irwin

fender
04-Sep-06, 07:41
Sad news today with the death of Steve Irwan, A man who lived on the edge. RIP

newpark
04-Sep-06, 08:13
I know what sad sad news he was ace and I loved watching him. Not many people die having lived as much as he did.
He will be missed on my telly thats for sure.

willa
04-Sep-06, 08:34
He lived his life to the full and died doing what he enjoyed the most. Hope his family will be alright.

candyfloss
04-Sep-06, 08:59
Very sad news, and he's got such a young family too :~(

Sporran
04-Sep-06, 09:03
Crikey, that is sad news! :~( I will miss Steve Irwin, the Crocodile Hunter himself! He certainly was a character, and I enjoyed watching his daredevil antics on TV. He was one of a kind, that's for sure! RIP Steve.

Whitewater
04-Sep-06, 09:06
I always enjoyed his programs, he lived on the edge, but that was the way he wanted it. He always displayed a sense of wonder and awe for all the creatures he worked with.

He certainly lived his dream.

unicorn
04-Sep-06, 09:36
Such terribly sad news Steve was a legend in his own right. My thoughts are with his young family. :(

Blazing Sporrans
04-Sep-06, 09:41
It might be cliche to say so but I bet he lived more in his forty-odd years than most of us would live in 400.... He was a real character, however no matter how upsetting the news is to some, I bet he's the type of person that would want everyone to celebrate the achievements of Australia Zoo and not mourn for a minute.

simpsoney
04-Sep-06, 11:38
OMG i have only just heard about this. I am so shocked. What a sad sad shame. My thoughts are with his family. I absolutely loved watching Steve on the telly as did i am sure so many others. An absolute shame.

BazzaG
04-Sep-06, 11:51
OMG i have only just heard about this. I am so shocked. What a sad sad shame. My thoughts are with his family. I absolutely loved watching Steve on the telly as did i am sure so many others. An absolute shame.

my exact thoughts aswell. A great loss

Rheghead
04-Sep-06, 11:51
Sad news but sometimes when I watched his programmes I'd wished he'd just leave the poor things alone.

tisme
04-Sep-06, 11:53
Totally agree with everything said in this post. Certainly he died the way he lived.

Ojibwa
04-Sep-06, 13:56
Just woke up to this sad news about Steve Irwin. He was a great personality with such enthusiasm for what he did. So sad for his wife and youg family. I'm sure the amazing work he has done at The Australia Zoo will be carried on.

scorrie
04-Sep-06, 14:28
Wasn't this the same guy who was waving his baby son about in front of a crocodile on one occasion?

newpark
04-Sep-06, 14:31
Wasn't this the same guy who was waving his baby son about in front of a crocodile on one occasion?

No, he was not waving his baby about, He was in the paddock with his son but he must have felt it was safe. People are to quick to judge. This was his proffesion his daughter was brought up doing the same as her Dad and she has never been harmed. I do not believe for 1 minute he would put his sons life in any danger.

scorrie
04-Sep-06, 15:04
No, he was not waving his baby about, He was in the paddock with his son but he must have felt it was safe. People are to quick to judge. This was his proffesion his daughter was brought up doing the same as her Dad and she has never been harmed. I do not believe for 1 minute he would put his sons life in any danger.

Calm doon now, yer a bit quick to judge me. I am not a big TV watcher and the only thing I recall about this guy was a controversy about having a baby near a crocodile. I do believe that they changed the law on allowing kids into enclosures after that, so somebody must have thought it was not very safe.

It is obviously tragic for his family but the guy was a risk taker and these things are more likely to happen to such cavalier spirits. I think it is getting a bit over the top to state that the mis-spelling of his name in the starting post is a bit disrespectful. This is only a forum and it's not like it was put on the gravestone with a spelling mistake. A bit of perspective is required in my opinion. If I recall, the poor Pope got some stick here when he passed away!!

pedromcgrory
04-Sep-06, 16:41
Sad news but sometimes when I watched his programmes I'd wished he'd just leave the poor things alone.

he gave these animals etc treatment when they needed it so why should he of leaved them alone he monitored size growth etc along the years and well as there health so thats why he never left them alone

MGB1979
04-Sep-06, 16:50
More of my posts have been deleted, what a surprise.

Here's the obligatory Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Irwin) article for anyone ignorant of Irwin's work.

connieb19
04-Sep-06, 17:26
No, he was not waving his baby about, He was in the paddock with his son but he must have felt it was safe. People are to quick to judge. This was his proffesion his daughter was brought up doing the same as her Dad and she has never been harmed. I do not believe for 1 minute he would put his sons life in any danger.I bet he thought the diving expedition which led to his death was safe too. :roll:

zappster
04-Sep-06, 17:30
yep very sad news ..my kids were upset this morning when we heard the news..We always watched Croc files together!

Liz
04-Sep-06, 18:04
I am really shocked and saddened to hear of Steve Irwin's death.

He had such an enthusiasm for conservation and wildlife.

I remember watching a programme when his beloved pet dog was dying and was in tears.

He will be a real loss but let's hope his good work continues.

Of course he is also a family man with very young children and my heart goes out to them.

zebedy
04-Sep-06, 18:05
I have 3 heros in my life... one already gone... Steve Irwin was one... Another is family...

jimi hendrix ( rip )
Steve Irwin ( rip )

rich12345
04-Sep-06, 19:54
:( none of you guys liked steve as much as me it was a honour to see a man of such skill on tv rest in peace steve:~(

scorrie
04-Sep-06, 20:28

I went and checked this story out further. Irwin had his baby son in one arm whilst feeding a chicken to a crocodile with the other arm. I think that is closer to my statement in terms of the actual level of danger that was present, than your vague statement that the child was in the paddock. I cannot think of any valid reason why his child should have been in that position. It was obviously a publicity stunt and therefore exploitation of the child. Do me a favour and have a think about it before giving me a blast!!

mostlyharmless
04-Sep-06, 20:33
I was stunned when I heard not sure why as I don't really know him, but I loved watching his programmes and was always in awe of his nerve.
I loved his enthusiasm for all animals and for a man who perhaps risked his life more than most his excitement for life.
Seems sad to lose all that joy and awe he had for the natural world around us, perhaps thats why I'm stunned I don't know.
I hope a legacy of enthusiasm like his lives on ...

Big Jean
04-Sep-06, 20:49
I was shocked to read about this accident. I too watched his programmes, although there were times I had to close my eyes ! He had a dangerous and exciting life and enjoyed sharing this with people of all ages . It is extremely sad for his wife and young children, and our sympathy goes out to them . He died while doing something he loved . RIP .

Ricco
04-Sep-06, 21:03
Big, big man. Lived life to the full. Really did a great deal for the profile of the croc. Loved his stuff and will miss his style.:~(

newpark
04-Sep-06, 21:09
I went and checked this story out further. Irwin had his baby son in one arm whilst feeding a chicken to a crocodile with the other arm. I think that is closer to my statement in terms of the actual level of danger that was present, than your vague statement that the child was in the paddock. I cannot think of any valid reason why his child should have been in that position. It was obviously a publicity stunt and therefore exploitation of the child. Do me a favour and have a think about it before giving me a blast!!

i'm not blasting you I don't care enough for that. I think he was ace and funny and it's a shame he is dead thats that.

BINDI 42
04-Sep-06, 21:34
Our handicapped son was heartbroken today when his dad and i told him of steve's death ,he totally idolises this great man has done for well over 8years to the extent that he dresses the same as him
To see the tears in his eyes this morning broke our hearts in a million pieces
R.I.P Stevo you were one of the best.........xxx

Kenn
04-Sep-06, 22:17
Will be sadly missed here too, he may have been known for his exploits as "The Crocodile Man," but he and his wife worled tirelessly for the protection and conservation of wildlife and not just in Australia.
The world will be a lesser place without him.

willowbankbear
04-Sep-06, 22:28
Top entertainer,of that there is no doubt, wasnt my cup of tea but he was an amazing bloke the way he went up to nut job crocs & extracted the urine out of them in a cute way.

Lolabelle
05-Sep-06, 00:38
Huge Shock, we didn't even know till today, I hurt my back yesterday and didn't see the news. He was a bit over the top sometimes in my opinion, but he certainly had a zest for life and an enthusiasm that made him quite remarkable and well known all over the world. He will be missed. I feel for his family, imagine getting the news. He was larger than life.

Venture
05-Sep-06, 09:01
Just heard on the news that Irwins family want to show footage of his actual death on tv. Personally I think this is a bit over the top.

Naefearjustbeer
05-Sep-06, 09:45
Steve was a man who lived his life with a great enthusiasm for his interests which we were lucky enough to be able to share via TV. They happened to be crocodiles, snakes and all a sorts of dangerous* creatures. He died doing what he loved. I feel for his family and friends But he died doing what he enjoyed. You have to have respect for the man for that. As for the danger of things it is dangerous to cross a road. If you live a life restricted by dangers or perceived dangers you are going to die a lonely sad git because you are too frightened to get out of bed in the morning. RIP Steve. I do believe that he will now be chasing snakes round a cloud somewhere and is in a better heaven than many of us will ever see.

* in many peoples opinions

candyfloss
05-Sep-06, 10:17
Just heard on the news that Irwins family want to show footage of his actual death on tv. Personally I think this is a bit over the top.
:eek: Why ! :eek:
I think thats a bit weird too.

MadPict
05-Sep-06, 14:43
Sooner or later this guy was going to get badly injured or killed - he pushed wildlife to the edge and when threatened wildlife has a habit of defending itself. He may well of wrestled with crocs and taken chances with other dangerous creatures but maybe he was a little bit over confident with a creature which is normally pretty reluctant to interact with humans.

You play with fire you're going to get burned....

Kingetter
05-Sep-06, 14:49
When your numbers up, its up, end of story. Only God, and (not those who believe they have God-like powers) can really change something like that. IMVHO!

Cedric Farthsbottom III
05-Sep-06, 15:05
Steve Irwins story reminds me of Houdini the magician.Spent his days doing all these life defying things and met his maker with a freak accident.

Saveman
05-Sep-06, 16:38
When your numbers up, its up, end of story. Only God, and (not those who believe they have God-like powers) can really change something like that. IMVHO!

Are you saying that Steve Irwins death was God's will? Just curious. :)

Sporran
05-Sep-06, 17:16
Steve Irwin has died
Little man, larger than life
Many will miss you

Angels4me60
05-Sep-06, 21:03
Our handicapped son was heartbroken today when his dad and i told him of steve's death ,he totally idolises this great man has done for well over 8years to the extent that he dresses the same as him
To see the tears in his eyes this morning broke our hearts in a million pieces
R.I.P Stevo you were one of the best.........xxx

Dear Bindi42,
I've had the unique pleasure of meeting your handicapped son. I'm sure it would have been a great honor to Steve Irwin and his family to know that he had touched such a special child in such a big way. I have witnessed first hand the way he dresses, acts, and also has to be called that of his hero. As for you Steve, where ever you may be, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for putting a smile on the face of a child I have come to care about so much. xoxoxoxo

robglysen
05-Sep-06, 21:08
Steve Irwin was brilliant, but lets be honest, he wasn't gonna die of old age.

Great loss.

mareng
06-Sep-06, 08:56
Whilst I would rank Steve Irwin alongside Johnny Ball and Fred Dibnah as the greats in creating public interest in subjects, It can hardly come as a surprise that he died doing it.

As another said ..... he pushed wild animals to the limit.

oldmarine
06-Sep-06, 17:59
More of my posts have been deleted, what a surprise.

Here's the obligatory Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Irwin) article for anyone ignorant of Irwin's work.

This is a very interesting article on the history of Steve Irwin. It's long but well worth the read. Steve was a very capable entertainer who did a lot of good for animals as well as people. Thank you for placing this article on the website for us to read. May our Lord bless the surviving members of Steve Irwin's family.