PDA

View Full Version : Coal prices

Geo
11-Oct-04, 19:14
How much are you paying for a bag of ordinary coal. Ours has gone up to £9. Is there just the one firm selling it in Wick?

johndy
11-Oct-04, 20:45
Coal for a closed in fire has jumped from £10.20 a bag to £11.70, Gunns Coal Lybster delivers in Wick twice a week :)

linzy222
11-Oct-04, 21:46
Hunters coal in Thurso for a closed in fire went up from 10.40 to 11.70

Zael
11-Oct-04, 22:06
perhaps they're worried you might start running your car on it.

The Angel Of Death
13-Oct-04, 09:39
Or perhaps the petrol Mogul's are branching out into the coal business ???

2little2late
15-Oct-04, 18:47
Three reasons for high coal prices.
1, Imported coal.
2, Lack of competition.
3, It's about time gas was installed in the whole of Caithness.

Geo
22-Dec-08, 13:11
I was searching the forums for logs and found this thread I started in 2004. I wish coal was still £9 now! :)

binbob
22-Dec-08, 13:16
1, Imported coal.
2, Lack of competition.

i wish for the same.....in 14 months ..i have paid £1200 for oil...
on natural gas in my old house i paid £600 for 12 months..huge difference.i want gas too...sorry nothing to do with coal ,which also seems to be very expensive.

kitty kat
22-Dec-08, 13:26
being on gas:D

teenybash
22-Dec-08, 13:33
I pay 14.50 for a bag of coal.........don't want gas..........

daviddd
22-Dec-08, 14:09
1, Imported coal.
2, Lack of competition.

there's absolutely NO chance of gas being installed across Caithness I'm afraid - it would cost millions and the cost would never be recoverable.

hotrod4
22-Dec-08, 14:20
being on gas:D
Little wonder you dont know what VHS is then!!!![lol]

mccaugm
22-Dec-08, 14:27
A bag of coal for my closed in fire was about £11-12 when we moved here 3 years ago, its now £17. With ithe electric companies not passing on the reduction in their costs..our fuel bills are way past ridiculous.

jac1791
22-Dec-08, 14:51
think i a pay more than £16 a bag for my closed in fire, and go through 2 bags a week

viking
22-Dec-08, 14:51
I got coal delivered in Thurso last month and 3 bags was £43!!!!!

EDDIE
22-Dec-08, 16:34
ask a silly question how long does a bag of coal last the average person?
Secondly would it be more econimical in the long run if u have a coal fire to install a wood burning stove so u can burn more things

kitty kat
22-Dec-08, 17:04
Little wonder you dont know what VHS is then!!!![lol]

i do eat my veg thank you i run on me own gas [lol] and its main line lol

come christmas day my house hold will have enough to have some spare :D

any takers its free hehehe might smell a bit though

Bad Manners
22-Dec-08, 17:29
We have a multi fuel fire and we burn coal as well as logs Coal is £16. a bag and the logs are from friends of Dunnet Forrest still would not want Gas though

percy toboggan
22-Dec-08, 18:24
Coal generates about fifteen per cent of the UK's electricity....and about nine percent of it comes from UK mines - opencast and deep mined.

We have three hundred years worth beneath us and it will - I am convinced play a much bigger part in all of our futures.

Carbon capture and storage is the key. I am a big fan of the black stuff and have put some money where my mouth is.....a consequence of which is I'm glad to see the price of a bag of nutty slack creeping up a bit.

percy toboggan
22-Dec-08, 18:28
We have gas powered , electrically circulated 'warm air' heating - much maligned by some folk but it is economical, and almost instant. Once you get used to the sound of the blower - which we did c.1977 - it's smashin'...loads of hot water en all.
I rate it very highly. Only regret - no chimney! If we ha done of those we'd have a wood burner too.

forevera123
22-Dec-08, 20:34
the coal price is quite expensive now. same as the electricity bill, gone up far too much.hope the weather is not going to get colder:(

mccaugm
22-Dec-08, 20:34
I lived in a Council House in Invergordon that had the warm air heating..electrically powered. Cost a fortune to run. No heating upstairs (why I ask myself ?) It left me with skin so dry I thought I was actually ill. My skin peeled as if I had been sitting in the sun.

We now have an expensive to run smokless fuel Raeburn closed fire. Heating works great and in the summer we just put on the immersion for hot water now and then.

Skerries
22-Dec-08, 21:08
ask a silly question how long does a bag of coal last the average person?
Secondly would it be more econimical in the long run if u have a coal fire to install a wood burning stove so u can burn more things

We use about a bag a week of anthracite singles and they are about £16 a bag. Used to use economy anthracite but it's now such a low quality that I can't get it to burn properly.

We have a multi-fuel burner so we can use windfall wood and other rubbish on the fire but we also have oil-fired central heating which is only used in the summer when it's too warm for the fire, and to heat the water.

I wouldn't give up the real fire, no matter how expensive it was! I like it too much :D

teenybash
22-Dec-08, 21:29
We have gas powered , electrically circulated 'warm air' heating - much maligned by some folk but it is economical, and almost instant. Once you get used to the sound of the blower - which we did c.1977 - it's smashin'...loads of hot water en all.
I rate it very highly. Only regret - no chimney! If we ha done of those we'd have a wood burner too.

How is Santa going to get into your house.........................Merry Christmas:Razz

Foxy
23-Dec-08, 01:43
We buy our coal by the tonne and the last tonne cost us £310. :eek:

changilass
23-Dec-08, 01:48
We pay 14.50 a bag but can't compare with yours foxy as I dont know how many bags makes a tonne.

braalterr903
23-Dec-08, 08:39
I pay 15 for a bag off coal and i burn logs aswell price off coal is very high mine is a multi fuel their is brickets to that burns good to a man up west sells them and they last longer richards garage has them.

sadam
23-Dec-08, 08:51
Coal for a closed in fire has jumped from £10.20 a bag to £11.70, Gunns Coal Lybster delivers in Wick twice a week? Does Gunns of Lybster deliver to Thurso cause at these prices they would certainly do well. It's £17.00 a bag here for the closed in fires and I for one would definately change

johnlc
23-Dec-08, 09:02
I pay £18 a bag for closed in fire,for a bag of doubles,tried the cheaper stuff at £2 less but it was crap

footie chick
23-Dec-08, 09:49
Coal for a closed in fire has jumped from £10.20 a bag to £11.70, Gunns Coal Lybster delivers in Wick twice a week? Does Gunns of Lybster deliver to Thurso cause at these prices they would certainly do well. It's £17.00 a bag here for the closed in fires and I for one would definately change

The post that quotes Gunns prices is dated October 2004.

percy toboggan
23-Dec-08, 17:43
[quote=mccaugm;473548]I lived in a Council House in Invergordon that had the warm air heating..electrically powered. Cost a fortune to run. No heating upstairs (why I ask myself ?) It left me with skin so dry I thought I was actually ill. My skin peeled as if I had been sitting in the sun.

quote]

I have heard similarly awful l tales of the electric version.
It sounds quite dreadful. Shivering up the stair and skin peeling off all over the livvy carpet!

Glad your content with the solid fuel.

Foxy
23-Dec-08, 18:14
We pay 14.50 a bag but can't compare with yours foxy as I dont know how many bags makes a tonne.

There are 20 bags in a tonne, so ours works out at £15.50 a bag. :eek: Who supplies your coal?, I think i need to change my supplier [disgust].

teenybash
23-Dec-08, 19:04
McEwans in Wick are £14.50 for grade 2. You can also get cheaper for the lower grade/

Miss Mack
24-Dec-08, 21:29
Petrol and oil have come down considerably, so why hasnt coal....... because they have no bloody competition he must be rubbing his hands every time we pay. Dross has gone from £3:50 to £6:00, its ridiculous[evil]

miranda
25-Dec-08, 18:58
i pay £18 for a bag of doubles . I have a closed in fire and for the few months over the winter is expensive!!! but am changing to electic after the new year! no more cleaning oot the fire for me ...yippee!!

lildj
26-Dec-08, 00:41
i don’t buy coal, i buy peat its better and cheaper at £2.60 a large bag cant go wrong :D[smirk]