PDA

View Full Version : Budget Accounts Oil

starry
01-Apr-11, 16:11
Can anyone tell me if most companies have a cut of date during the year ?

Gleaner won't carry forward anything past May and I wasn't sure if this was normal practise.
I have been caught by needing to order now which means I need to pay within 4 weeks.

If I was to order on 2nd May I could just pay it as normal on standing order.
My account is in credit for 3/4s of the year and this seems a bit unfair. How can it be a budget account when you can still get caught with huge bill :confused

It is years since I had a budget account and am not sure if all companies do this now ?

Thanks x

onecalledk
01-Apr-11, 16:26
hi there,

I used to be with gleaner when I lived in my last house and they allowed any oil that was bought in April to be carried over to May so that a big bill was avoided. That was a few years ago now so they could have changed their policy. Have you contacted their customer service number and asked if they still do this? always found them very helpful when I was with them.

good luck
K

starry
01-Apr-11, 16:50
I did that today, to be honest they were pretty unhelpful, in the first phone call they said the minimum order was 900litres which would have meant finding approx £700 by end of April.
Second phone call to cancel account and ask them to send me the money I am in credit to the lass said she could give me 500 litres but it still needs to be paid by end of April.

I phoned a few places but all want payment upfront on first time deliveries and before setting up a new budget account, which is fair enough.

So I am kind of stuck with taking Gleaners 500litres and paying the £300 by end of April.

I will pay that off as soon as I can and just cancel with them, if other companies don't have the cut off date or allow me to carry a month over like Gleaner used to do with you then I will go to them.
But the way Gleaner spoke it sounded like all companies were doing this now.

orkneycadian
01-Apr-11, 17:21
Must admit I never have this problem with oil suppliers over here. I order oil, they deliver it, I pay them for it. Simples! :)

starry
01-Apr-11, 17:31
I used to just pay when I ordered Orkney but circumstances in my life changed and it seemed easier to try budget it out over the year.

Glad all is good with you and your oil though :)

Sage
01-Apr-11, 18:21
We're with Scottish Fuels and were hit with a big bill in the beginning of March. Every year it happens...pay every month then a big fill happens a week before the yearly account is updated. We thought we'd be in credit due to new heating this year, but nope... I ended up phoning, paying the bill as usual and upping the payments to hopefully cover it next year.

I do wonder if its cheaper to just pay as you go?

starry
01-Apr-11, 18:48
So Scottish Fuels do this as well, that is another one of the list.

I am thinking about these guys,

http://www.boilerjuice.com/

if I am not getting the benefit of budget account I want to know I am getting cheapest I can.

Has anyone used them in the past ?

Sorry you got caught as well Sage x

starry
01-Apr-11, 18:50
Oh I don't think they cover a lot of Caithness, sorry :(