PDA

View Full Version : First Minister in Wick

Mr P Cannop
01-Apr-11, 16:07
The First Minister will be visiting the constituency on Monday 4th April. He will be touring local businesses in different areas, but he'll be out on the doorstep from 10am to 11am in Wick. If you've not been to the by-election yet, or even if you've not been out at all, make this the day you come out and help.

This is a major boost to the campaign, and shows the momentum is with the SNP in the Highlands. This is a target seat for the SNP, so let's all get out and win it in the next five weeks!

Meet at the Grant Street office at 10am for leafleting and door-knocking. We'll meet for a photo with the FM on the High St at 11am sharp.

Shabbychic
01-Apr-11, 16:51
In the same vein, I see Tongue (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-12923245) is having a hustings on the 14th of April. It would have been great if one could have been organised here.

gleeber
05-Apr-11, 22:52
I was trying to watch the video posted on the front page but it wasnt performing very well on my pc. Good for Alex. Hes also getting endorsed as the best first minister for Scotland by non other than John Farquhar Munro who's been a Lib Dem MSP since 1999 but standing down this year. I imagine the Lib Dems in the north will be fuming.

golach
05-Apr-11, 22:59
He is not the First Minister at the moment, Parliament has been stood down, and I for one will not be voting for him or his party

gleeber
05-Apr-11, 23:11
Aye your quite rightII widna vote for him either if I didna like him. I like him though.

gleeber
05-Apr-11, 23:21
I'm not a nationalist but i'm Scottish. Surely a Scottish nationalist party is the best for Scotland. No need to go Independant. Just keep the free bus pass and free prescriptions and cheap booze and cheer any team that plays England and everything will be fine. Vote SNP and get the best man for scotland.

Shabbychic
06-Apr-11, 00:32
I used to detest Alex Salmond, but find he has really changed over the past few years. At the moment there are really only two choices for the next Scottish government. Alex Salmond or Iain Gray. Now, for me there is really only one option; someone who cares about Scotland and the Scottish people, someone who doesn't take orders from Westminster, someone who can hold his own in debates, and a party who have proved they can balance a budget, even in a minority government. I'm afraid I don't see Iain Gray ticking any of those boxes.

Gronnuck
06-Apr-11, 08:45
Alex Salmond and the SNP are as bad if not worse than the preceding labour administration. If we’re honest the only reason they were successful at the last election was because people were heart sick of labour and voted SNP just to get rid of them. The SNP has failed spectacularly to fulfil or even attempt to address many of the key promises made in its manifesto.
Let me remind you that in their Manifesto they promised to offer us Scots the opportunity to decide on independence in a referendum. They even mentioned a likely date of 2010. No referendum has happened. I remember Wendy Alexander saying, “Bring it on!” So what happened? The SNP knew this key ideological issue on which their party is based is anathema to most Scots.
Another of the SNP manifesto promises was the dualling of key roads, such as the A9. I would have thought this would have been of particular interest to anyone living north of Perth. However it never happened the whole issue has been quietly shelved and the A9 south of Inverness is as dangerous as ever, particularly to those who are unfamiliar with it.
OK what happened to the reduction in class sizes in Primary 1,2 and 3. The SNP promised 18 pupils or less – it never happened. They said they would maintain teacher numbers too; so why have we lost nearly 3000 teachers since 2007? They said they would instigate a moratorium on the sale of playing fields, but by the beginning of 2010 they allowed local authorities to sell off over 25 acres of playing fields.
The promise that the SNP would instigate our withdrawal from the Common Fisheries Policy might have ‘bought’ support from our beleaguered fishing industry, but never happened.
OK let’s look at something else. The SNP promised that drinks licences would be forfeited if the licensee was found to have sold alcohol to underage Scots. Yet when asked in 2010 the Scottish government said it did not know how many licences were lost due to the sale of alcohol to children – it didn’t bother to keep records despite making the issue a manifesto pledge!
Iff I could be sure the SNP could win and establish a majority in Holyrood I would be prepared to give them another chance but I’m not sure that will ever happen.

rob1
06-Apr-11, 09:39
Gronnuck - I don't think that SNP got in power just because of people being fed up with labour, you have to remember that 7% of ballot papers were classed as spoilt.
To be honest the only real difference to my life since the Scottish parliament was established is that we now don't pay for prescriptions.
I don't like Alex Salmond and I don't like the SNP. I also don't like labour, and despite Iain Gray being in office for sometime, he does not seem to get much TV time as Annabell Goldie or Tavis Scott and therefore don't know much about him.
I personally think we should get rid of the Scottish parliament as I think it is just another layer of unnecessary bureaucracy.

weeboyagee
06-Apr-11, 14:27
Would you believe it??? Yup, I agree with gleeber. I know that golach is still smarting from his snatching of a draw from the jaws of victory on Sunday (sorry, golach, just HAD to throw that in!) but I'm afraid he doesn't recognise a good thing when he sees it :D

Since the SNP have been in, albeit, a minority government position, they have admirably shown us how a) a minority government can work with other parties to produce a positive lot for Scotland during a time of economic difficulty, b) answer queries and points put to them with clarity and conviction, rather than evasion, c) listen to the Scottish people and change when it's appropriate, d) ease the burden to create a better future - prescription charges, student fees, free bus travel etc, etc. They can ALSO stand firm on what they know was a decision made for the right reasons as known at the time i.e. the compassionate release question.

At the same time, they have the grace NOT to throw it in the face of the Westminster Labour opposition as much when the persuasion of release for oil issue is clearly landed on them.

I DO hope that the people of Scotland are not taken in by the only card that is left to the opposition who have no real policy other than "we'll do what the SNP are doing now but do it better" - given that they were not for most of the policies implemented over the past 4 years but now seem to be given their popularity. Oh, nor let Scotland be taken in by the fear-mongering of "who's going to pay for it all"!

The SNP have done a good job over the past 4 years. I was so proud to hear the SNP beating Labour at the elections 4 years ago, I went over the Smiddy to celebrate the belief that we could put them in which, at the time, was probably as much as punishment to Labour and protest as it was a hope for a better future. Well, they delivered on the better future, and here's to it being even better with the SNP in greater power after this election.

If the Scots don't put the SNP in then they don't know a good thing even when it's blatantly staring them in the face - it's not often most people can remember what the party in government have done over the past 4 years when asked prior to an election, but I bet most people in Scotland would be able to list the good things that the SNP have done in the past 4 years no bother. And they'll remember them saying they would do it before they got put in! Testament to people's interest in what the SNP have done for Scotland. OK, so one or two didn't get done, but who's perfect!

As for independence - let the SNP continue to do what they can do as a devolved government first and THEN start thinking independence. Let them continue to prove that they can deliver.

Don't let golach put you off - I'll even speak to Hearts to let Hibs win (aye that'll be right!) after the election if the SNP get in!

WBG :cool:

Shabbychic
06-Apr-11, 15:21
I don't think the SNP are perfect, which government is, but I believe they have managed quite well, on the whole. You should also take into consideration the fact that they were a minority government, and many of their manifesto pledges were blocked by the other parties, especially Labour. Take the last Scottish budget for example. Even Iain Gray's Labour group were angry at the fact they were ordered to vote down the budget even though it met their demands. How childish is that?

I also believe they have done more than scrap prescription charges. Off the top of my head, they have frozen council tax, cut business rates for small firms, they have put Scotland high on the map of global renewable technology, saved many A&E units, removed bridge tolls, free personal care for the elderly, abolished student fees, abolished charges at NHS run hospital car parks, they have also toughened up wildlife crime measures, to name but a few.

So all in all I think they have not done too badly.

gleeber
06-Apr-11, 15:43
I also believe they have done more than scrap prescription charges. Off the top of my head, they have frozen council tax, cut business rates for small firms, they have put Scotland high on the map of global renewable technology, saved many A&E units, removed bridge tolls, free personal care for the elderly, abolished student fees, abolished charges at NHS run hospital car parks, they have also toughened up wildlife crime measures, to name but a few.

That's quite a good resume they have and considering its been at a time of doom and gloom we've done good. The scottish tories are admitting they would charge for prescriptions and no more free buses for over 60s because we cant afford it. Maybe someone from the SNP could tell us where the monies coming from considering Scottish fundings taking a big hit next year.
I think anyone who thinks any of the other political parties can do any better for Scotland than the SNP is deluded. :eek: I hope the Scots notice that Alex Salmonds a good first minister and that Independance is not at stake by voting SNP. Hes neither left wing nor right. Hes for Scotland.

Shabbychic
06-Apr-11, 16:14
I notice, the betting like the polls, are changing direction.

WILLIAM HILL (http://www.gambling.com/news/2271/snp-cut-in-scottish-election-race) have cut the odds about the SNP winning the forthcoming Scottish Election for the third time in a week, during which time their odds have shortened from 7/2 to 9/4, while Hills have lengthened favourites Labour from 1/6 to 1/3, while the Conservatives and Lib Dems are both rated as 125/1 outsiders.

'Nearly all the betting support - over 90% of it - during the last week has been for an SNP victory and their odds, which had been on the drift, have shortened dramatically' said Hill's spokesman Graham Sharpe.

Looks promising.

gleeber
06-Apr-11, 16:26
Looks promising.

Not at those odds :lol:

Shabbychic
06-Apr-11, 16:47
Not at those odds :lol:

Well, they're moving in the right direction anyway.

Corrie 3
06-Apr-11, 17:04
Yep.....SNP for me also !!
I must admit to being a bit of a LibDem Man in the past but I have now finished with that lot. Jumping into bed with the Tories has just about killed them off, I would love to see the SNP get into Westminster next time as well. At least we know they wont join up with the Tories like Clegg, Alexander and Thurso have done...shame on them!!!!

C3.....:eek::roll:

jaykay
07-Apr-11, 10:07
I don't think the SNP are perfect, which government is, but I believe they have managed quite well, on the whole. You should also take into consideration the fact that they were a minority government, and many of their manifesto pledges were blocked by the other parties, especially Labour. Take the last Scottish budget for example. Even Iain Gray's Labour group were angry at the fact they were ordered to vote down the budget even though it met their demands. How childish is that?

The SNP have also been good for Scottish farming interests. There cannot be many Scottish farmers who won't be voting SNP at the forthcoming elections.

Alice in Blunderland
07-Apr-11, 12:03
http://www.breakingnewsnorth.net/hollyroodcampaign.html

watched this with interest.

weeboyagee
07-Apr-11, 14:55
Yup - just hope that folk listening to that can understand that these policies are believable and sustainable. Then to break away from "the way they've always voted" to believe that their change of vote to the SNP will achieve something better for them.

WBG :cool:

golach
07-Apr-11, 15:34
Yup - just hope that folk listening to that can understand that these policies are believable and sustainable. Then to break away from "the way they've always voted" to believe that their change of vote to the SNP will achieve something better for them. WBG :cool:

Personally WBG, as long as wee Eck is the SNP leader, I will not vote for them, and because I do not wish to vote for them now does not mean I never did, I was a fully paid up SNP member for many years in the past, are you a fully paid up member? [lol]

peter macdonald
07-Apr-11, 16:58
Aye Golach...would the antagonism have been to do with the 79 Group???? That was a tough time... I came to the SNP with a few others from another party who were knifed in the back by their so called friends.. hence Ill never vote Labour as long as I have breath
PM

gleeber
07-Apr-11, 20:33
This is brilliant. Listen to the wee wifie in the background. No where else but Glassgow.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-12998918

golach
07-Apr-11, 22:23
Aye Golach...would the antagonism have been to do with the 79 Group???? That was a tough time... I came to the SNP with a few others from another party who were knifed in the back by their so called friends.. hence Ill never vote Labour as long as I have breath
PM
Have to say I was a Wendy Wood follower, met her often, now that woman could knock spots of the present day Scot Natsties

Corrie 3
08-Apr-11, 14:36
I see the SNP won the by-election in Wick, well done to them...Good to see the Tories and LibDems come nowhere, even being beaten by an Independant!!!
Lets have the same result in May at the Scottish Elections!!!

C3.....;):roll::)

ducati
08-Apr-11, 14:45
Interesting that only Scottish Conservatives are proposing to introduce tuition fees, despite the Colleges and Universities saying it is needed and inevitable.

Shabbychic
08-Apr-11, 16:40
Had to laugh at Iain Gray's attempts to rid himself of the protestors in Glasgow yesterday. Then he compares this with the civil war in Mozambique, the genocide in Rwanda, and the killing fields in Cambodia. Glasgow must be a pretty dangerous place these days! :eek:

I don't know about First Minister, but he was certainly First in the queue at Subway.

Auntie Bella met up with the same team in Edinburgh last week, but she stayed to talk and ended up shaking hands with them.

This wee film (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S67QyGVHALk&feature=youtu.be) says it all. :D