PDA

View Full Version : Boat Who Wouldn't Float

Kingetter
04-Sep-06, 00:35
Something quite humorous came into my reading selection probably 20 years ago. I read one book and instantly wanted to read more by this author. I did and enjoyed every one. Here, about one book, are
"Publisher Comments:
Happy Adventure was a schooner with one fatal flaw. It leaked like a sieve. So why would anyone repeatedly expose himself and his friends to the elements of the North Atlantic in a treacherous, stubborn, uncomfortable, unfloatable boat which at last count, has sunk eight times? Any explanation of this appalling narative seems outrageously unlikely. But the story is true. All too true. And it's decidedly the funniest story yet from Farley Mowat, whose books have sold over a million and a half copies in this country alone."

Farley Mowat, a Canadian author.

Ann
04-Sep-06, 07:03
I like "The Dog Who Wouldn't Be". Thank you for reminding me of this author; may just try and get a hold of more of his works.

Kingetter
04-Sep-06, 11:14
I like "The Dog Who Wouldn't Be". Thank you for reminding me of this author; may just try and get a hold of more of his works.

What is it about Farley Mowat that appeals most to you?

Ann
04-Sep-06, 17:45
His sense of humour, reality and his ability to see things a different way.
I would have to read more of his stuff before I add anything else as it is a long time since I read "The Dog Who Wouldn't Be".
Because of various problems, I have difficulty remembering details even though my overall feeling is one of having liked a book.

Kingetter
04-Sep-06, 18:30
His sense of humour, reality and his ability to see things a different way.
I would have to read more of his stuff before I add anything else as it is a long time since I read "The Dog Who Wouldn't Be".
Because of various problems, I have difficulty remembering details even though my overall feeling is one of having liked a book.

I share those views and I would benefit from reading all again. It has been 20 years I suppose and I might see things in a different light now. I'm sure however that I would enjoy.

canuck
05-Sep-06, 00:08
Farley Mowat is known as a bit of a character in Canada. One of his somewhat endearing qualities is his persona non gratia status with the United States. A few years ago my mother's neighbours added a new golden lab pup to their household. Too young for the required shots, it too was denied entry into the United States. It immediately was given the name Farley and has grown into a beloved member of the village community.

Kingetter
06-Sep-06, 03:27
Farley Mowat is known as a bit of a character in Canada. One of his somewhat endearing qualities is his persona non gratia status with the United States. A few years ago my mother's neighbours added a new golden lab pup to their household. Too young for the required shots, it too was denied entry into the United States. It immediately was given the name Farley and has grown into a beloved member of the village community.

The USA Government may not have 'liked him' but his work was popular in the States.