PDA

View Full Version : Vodafone Sure Signal

kitty
31-Mar-11, 18:29
Just wandering if anyone up here has one and if it works as good as it says it does.

They used to have a signal checker and up here wasn't included for it but now all it says you need is a 3G phone and broadband of a certain speed.

Can anyone please tell me anything more about it.

orkneycadian
31-Mar-11, 18:35
You'd probably be better off with a proper repeater that repeats everything to all phones rather than just the ones you have to "pre-register" with the Vodafone femto cell. Plus, with a repeater, you'll still have mobile signal if the landline / broadband goes down.

kitty
31-Mar-11, 18:40
I've not heard of one of them orkneycadian..... where do you get them?

orkneycadian
31-Mar-11, 18:46
Alas, forum rules prevent me making a recommendation of where to buy one from. But if you try putting "Mobile Phone Repeater" or "Cell Antenna Repeater" into Google, it may be helpful!

By the way, for these to work, you do need some signal, probably up at roof level. If you live in a coal mine or the moon, your'e probably stuffed....

kitty
31-Mar-11, 18:50
Thank you. Will have a google. I do get some signal but at the window... does that count?

orkneycadian
31-Mar-11, 18:53
Should be OK. Most of the repeaters use a directional antenna (like a peedie TV aerial) to hoover up what signal is there, amplify it, and make it available in the building through a second, non directional antenna. You would put the directional aerial somewhere where it can get signal (in the loft say) and the other one in a central place (say the lobby).

kitty
31-Mar-11, 18:54
Thanks again :)

They look pretty pricey just from a quick look :(

cptdodger
31-Mar-11, 20:25
I have a Vodafone Sure Signal Box, in my opinion, it's worth the money.

kitty
01-Apr-11, 07:12
I have a Vodafone Sure Signal Box, in my opinion, it's worth the money.

Thank you.. will look into getting one now :)

orkneycadian
01-Apr-11, 11:08
OK, just bear in mind that you have to register the phones you want to work on it with Vodafone before hand, I cant remember if it is restricted to Vodafone handsets only. Means anyone else coming to your house will not see the increased signal, unless you go onto your computer and register their number as well. You used to have to register numbers 24 hours in advance, but not sure if that is still the case.

And do remember, that if you line / broadband go down, so does you mobile. From the number of threads on here about broadband problems, that seems a very regular occurrence in Caithness!

Also bear in mind that if its the 3G service thats of interest to you, if your phone will connect to your wifi (assuming you have wifi....), then using services across that will still be faster than across the 3G. Presumably as well, if you use 3G across the Sure Signal, it will eat into your data allowance / tariff

kitty
01-Apr-11, 12:48
OK, just bear in mind that you have to register the phones you want to work on it with Vodafone before hand, I cant remember if it is restricted to Vodafone handsets only. Means anyone else coming to your house will not see the increased signal, unless you go onto your computer and register their number as well. You used to have to register numbers 24 hours in advance, but not sure if that is still the case.

And do remember, that if you line / broadband go down, so does you mobile. From the number of threads on here about broadband problems, that seems a very regular occurrence in Caithness!

Also bear in mind that if its the 3G service thats of interest to you, if your phone will connect to your wifi (assuming you have wifi....), then using services across that will still be faster than across the 3G. Presumably as well, if you use 3G across the Sure Signal, it will eat into your data allowance / tariff

Thanks orkneycadian for your advice. I really only want a signal in my house so that i can make calls with my mobile instead of using the house phone to call other mobiles. Figure the one off payment for the device is better that the call charges over a couple of months.

I would still use my wifi for anything i was using my phone for in the house such as facebook and other stuff. :)

torisdale
01-Apr-11, 16:17
Works amazing! :)

orkneycadian
01-Apr-11, 16:50
Torisdale,

Out of interest, does it work with handsets for any network or just Vodafone? And is there a 24 hour delay between registering numbers and being able to use them?

cptdodger
01-Apr-11, 17:52
No you do'nt have to register numbers 24 hrs in advance, my number was already registered, so when I got the box I registered my partners phone, and she was able to use it straight away. As far as I know the phones have to be Vodaphone, but I am certain the phone has to be 3G enabled.

orkneycadian
01-Apr-11, 18:12
Just been Googling and it appears that it will only work with Vodafone numbers / handsets.