PDA

View Full Version : Broadband speed problems

NickInTheNorth
31-Mar-11, 09:59
I know there have been some posts recently regarding speed (or lack of!) problems.

I am on BT Broadband and also have BT Vision - which I like, however it has not worked properly for a long time, so having finally had enough of the run around from call centres that do not know what they are talking about I emailed most of the BT board members.

As a result of the email to the Chief Executive of BT Retail - the boss of the bit of BT that us humble domestic customers have contracts with - Gavin Patterson, I now have a decent helpdesk looking into the issue for me.

The real problem - surprise surprise - is congestion on the BT backhaul network. The Thurso exchange is on what is known as a VP Hotlist which is a BT Wholesale list of where they have problems.

If you are facing this type of problem and getting nowhere via the usual helpdesks and have a BT Broadband service might I suggest that you do a search on google for :

bt gavin patterson email

and when you have the address email him with concise details of your issues and request that this is looked into as a metter of urgency.

If you are with other providers then contact your ISP directly and tell them that Thurso is on a BT Wholesale "VP Hotlist" and ask them to confirm if you are affected by this issue.

Just for the record my normal connection speed is around 6mb (very lucky). However even when using BT Vision which has a guaranteed bandwidth which in my case has been reset to 2000kb to try and resolve the issue I am still dropping to as low as 300kb during busy times.

orkneycadian
31-Mar-11, 13:20
Its no wonder the virtual paths are as congested as they are with folk using internet bandwidth up to watch TV, when they could get it terrestrially or through satellite!

RecQuery
01-Apr-11, 09:38
Over subscription by BT and some ISPs is also a problem. They could just break up backend connections into 8 meg chunks (even if the some people got less based on location, they still have 8meg dedicated to them) and not assign too many people to a backend connection.

They only have about 1500 total broadband lines in Wick and about the same in Thurso.

Tristan
01-Apr-11, 22:30
One thing you can do is get the BT broadband accelerator or if you know what you are doing cut the bell wire to your line...I cut my bell wire and it doubled the speed I was getting.

bekisman
01-Apr-11, 23:47
Is this it: http://broadband-speedup.blogspot.com/

Tristan
02-Apr-11, 07:31
Yea that is it. It filters the bell wire which is rarely used now.