PDA

View Full Version : Car Insurance abroad & here

Garnet
30-Mar-11, 21:06
Just watching Emegency Bikers (Paramedics & Bobbies). A man got stopped for no Insurance, however since he's living in France and only popped over to pick up daughter and return, he then produced a document of insurance....issued in France! It transpires as he wasn't with a company affiliate to UK insurers........he got done.....severely. Has anyone come across this before as I thought Insurance companies here covered you for over there or is that only some? Anyone know? :confused

lindsaymcc
30-Mar-11, 21:16
Unless you ask for cover to drive abroad when you take out your policy, then no, you are not covered.

Used to need a "green card" to drive abroad on your own policy, but that info is 10yrs old so not sure what the current state of play is.

Phill
30-Mar-11, 22:16
I thought now we're all Europeans we had a minimum cover for the EU. The following is from the commission:

http://ec.europa.eu/internal_market/insurance/motor_en.htm

I ain't read more than the first few lines 'cos I don't wanna go sleep yet, but it indicates (I think) 3rd party cover as an EU wide standard.

Mebbe they did 'im fer bein' French. Fair play really.

bekisman
30-Mar-11, 23:23
Just watching Emegency Bikers (Paramedics & Bobbies). A man got stopped for no Insurance, however since he's living in France and only popped over to pick up daughter and return, he then produced a document of insurance....issued in France! It transpires as he wasn't with a company affiliate to UK insurers........he got done.....severely. Has anyone come across this before as I thought Insurance companies here covered you for over there or is that only some? Anyone know? :confused

Yes, watched that myself, poor bloke gets pulled into a service station, shortly later his daughter and suitcases are unloaded, and his car is put onto a transporter and driven away, and he's left there...

Garnet
31-Mar-11, 01:34
Thanks Phill,I haven't read it all but will do later, sadly the guy targeted actually was English..just lived in France and as bikisman says after being hit with all the fines etc they were left there, no transport nothing and still would have to pay more to get his car out of the pound and yes lindsaymcc I also thought as you did, doesn't time fly!!! Thanks all. G.http://forum.caithness.org/images/icons/icon7.png