PDA

View Full Version : Is Jeremy Clarkson Faking it?

sandyr1
30-Mar-11, 16:05
Just read a story on Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear possibly Faking a test of the Tesla Electric car. There was also some suspicion some time ago that he may have been playing games with the Corvette and the Hummer.
It seems we will soon be having the program on a regular basis in North America...

What is the true story?? Anyone know?

The Drunken Duck
30-Mar-11, 16:13
Tesla have spat the dummy that their electric car was said to only have lasted 55 hours round the Top Gear track, they claim up to 300 hours according to "EU Tests". Basically they have taken the BBC to court and the BCC are fighting it. I watch the film clip when it was on the show and Clarkson was actually quite complimentary about the car in most areas .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEN1YAP9SYE&playnext=1&list=PL2FDBC32DECB1F761

Dont hear Tesla making out they faked the drag race where their car trounced a petrol Elise. Sounds like they are just having a cry that the nasty man didnt make out their car was the be all and end all.

donss
30-Mar-11, 16:18
Tempted to say: 'Who really cares?'; Clarkson and the Top Gear program / programme (take your pick), is really only for entertainment value..... Enjoy it for what it is.

sandyr1
30-Mar-11, 16:57
Of course it is entertainment.....but 'very British' in North America and rather fun!

bekisman
30-Mar-11, 16:58
This is there take on it: http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/ten-million-electric-miles-and-counting-jove-it-does-work-real-world

The Drunken Duck
30-Mar-11, 17:30
This is there take on it: http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/ten-million-electric-miles-and-counting-jove-it-does-work-real-world

Yup .. just smacks of not being able to take criticism. Clarkson called the car a "technological miracle" on the show so its hardly like they hate it. I did laugh at the bit where they whined about the show continuing to air though. What a bunch of pussies. Looking forward to the inevitable Tesla jokes and references in the next series though.

They seriously need to grow up, the Top Gear crew have said far worse about other cars and you dont see those manafacturers running to court in a huff.

ducati
30-Mar-11, 18:15
Welcome to the real world Messrs Tesla. Make a sports car and don't expect people to thrash it!

The people who would buy one at £100k can probably afford two (one for when the battery is flat in the other).

I particularly enjoyed the show when they got a Prius to do 19MPG, worse than the the 325 it was following :lol:

Geo
31-Mar-11, 11:38
Tesla's tagline is, "The Supercar Redefined." If you call your car a supercar, make it look like a supercar and quote supercar performance figures for it then you have to expect a bunch of TV car enthusiasts to drive it like a supercar! You can't then whinge about it when the battery doesn't last as long as when it was independently tested under strict combined driving cycles at slower speeds. Anyone interested will know it won't last as long per charge when driven hard. Given the information we have Tesla are just looking silly.

dafi
31-Mar-11, 13:04
Interesting to read Tesla's blog on the subject. It will also be interesting to see what happens when and if it ever comes to court. If Teslas claims are correct and the claims made by top gear are proved to be lies by the cars data logging systems then how much more of this factual entertainment programe is false hoods intended to decieve for entertainment purposes....Maybe there should be a disclaimer at the start of the show....Some of the facts purported to be truth may have been adjusted for entertainment purposes, any resembalance to the truth may just be coincidental.....

Crackeday
31-Mar-11, 16:18
Mon e clarkson!!!! They tell it as they see it even if I don't agree with them all the time. After all it's only their opinion, before anyone buys anything they do their OWN research. I know I do before I buy something I check out forums etc before I buy, after all a company isn't going to tell you their product is rubbish!!!!!
Think a rewording of that omd classic tesla girls us in order!!!! Lol

Even Chance
31-Mar-11, 16:52
Top Gear used to be good, but lately they've been trying too hard to make it more entertaining by adding stupid gimmicky rubbish.
Its put me off anyway..............

The Drunken Duck
31-Mar-11, 22:19
The biggest problem with the Tesla is that it is about £90,000 for a car that sounds like a sewing machine and looks like an updated Lotus Elise, which is basically a roller skate with wheels. Battery life is the least of its problems in my view. Plus you can get a Nissan GT-R for 20 grand less, and when Clarkson took that to the limit it put his neck out and he left the track in an ambulance. It might not be as enviromentally friendly as the Tesla (god it even sounds wimpy) but then it isnt a car for big girls blouses whose manafacturers cry and run to court whenever anyone says anything nasty about it.

If it was my cash I know which one I would buy.

bekisman
01-Apr-11, 10:42
Wonder if Clarkson will test this one?;
Rolls-Royce electric car. The silence is, if not deafening, than at least spine-tingling as the 2.7 tonne Rolls-Royce Phantom effortlessly takes off down the drive of the carmaker's Goodwood factory.

The only sound is a slight tyre noise, and even that is barely audible inside the luxury car's insulated cabin.

Seated deep in the soft, hand-stitched leather seat, accelerating along narrow Sussex country lanes, the car feels marginally less stable than the conventional Phantom, especially as it conquers the bendy road beyond East Lavington towards Duncton.
For Autobahn warriors, the electric Rolls-Royce may even come across as slow, what with its top speed capped electronically at 100mph (160 km/h) - though it accelerates from nought to 60mph in about eight seconds.

Some might also grumble about the car's limited range - estimated at about 125 miles on one charge of the biggest battery yet to be fitted in an electric car. So take the price of a Phantom and double it and the search could well be on for customers prepared to cough up something in the region of £600,000 .. and so on

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12923112

The Drunken Duck
04-Apr-11, 14:56
The BBC have taken the unusual approach of responding to Tesla on the Top Gear website. Makes for an interesting read, particularly the Tesla PR faux pas and just how they conduct the tests of the cars on the Top Gear track.

http://transmission.blogs.topgear.com/2011/04/02/tesla-vs-top-gear-andy-wilman-on-our-current-legal-action/

steeko
06-Apr-11, 19:18
Top Gear used to be good, but lately they've been trying too hard to make it more entertaining by adding stupid gimmicky rubbish.
Its put me off anyway..............

Couldn't agree more

grumpyhippo
06-Apr-11, 23:30
I have it on good authority that ' Mrs C's has been faking it for years:lol::lol:

sandyr1
11-Apr-11, 01:31
i have it on good authority that ' mrs c's has been faking it for years:lol::lol:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

dafi
11-Apr-11, 09:29
And on that bombshell.......