PDA

View Full Version : Game-hunting?

phoenix
11-Oct-04, 11:25
Its been suggested I start a debate of my own about the ethics of game-hunting instead of butting in on someone elses genuine query. .............So here goes............Is it right or wrong to shoot Woodcocks etc?

Mandy
11-Oct-04, 11:48
Well, I think it's totally wrong, but that's just my opinion as an animal lover. I hate to see any animals being hurt or injured, and I have never agreed with animal hunting of any kind. :~(

golach
11-Oct-04, 12:47
....Is it right or wrong to shoot Woodcocks etc?
Phoenix I dinna know are they vermin....do they destroy farmers crops....do they fly into aeroplane engines......are they worse than Seagulls?
I just dinna know why anybody would or should want to kill them

Golach

Zael
11-Oct-04, 13:29
Surely its because it makes them feel like big men (women that do this already look like men). Or perhaps its a therapy for depression?

ians
11-Oct-04, 14:54
Being a hunter myself, I say NEVER shoot anything just for mindless fun, only shoot what you intend to eat.
Hunting for sport is fine by me but these animals are not just put on earth to kill for fun, but I am all for meat eating thats who we are, but please eat what you kill or you took a life of an animal for no reason.

phoenix
11-Oct-04, 15:02
Golach........Ive no idea what it is { if anything} they do to warrant being shot. Ive had a look at a bird book, its a bonny wee bird with a long beak:

Description: A very secretive and unusual wader, rarely seen near water. Males emerge from their woodland haunts at night in spring and summer to perform the "roding" display, when they fly on jerky wings around a set route making peculiar grunting calls and the occasional shrill whistle. {Reminds me of something else}. On rare occassions the woodcock maybe seen feeding on the woodland floor, probing its long bill into soft mud in flight, in good light, the rich red-brown plumage and broad dark bars on the head and the broad wings show clearly. The markings make superb camouflage and nesting females are vey difficult to spot on the woodland floor.

Seems harmless enough.

squidge
12-Oct-04, 00:52
Woodcock in wine

4 woodcocks
1 small cup of butter
2 onions
1 tablespoon of flour
1/2 small cup of red wine
4-5 ripe tomatoes
salt and pepper
3-4 slices of bread
extra butter for frying the bread

Prepare the woodcocks, salt and pepper them, and secure the beaks between two legs (this is the most impressive presentation). Melt half the butter in a pan and when hot, fry the woodcocks. Remove from the pan and place in a saucepan. To the butter in the frying pan, add the finely chopped onion and sauté.

Next, add the flour and stir with a wooden spoon until golden. Add the wine; when it comes to a boil remove the pan from the heat and pour the contents into the saucepan containing the woodcocks. Add half a cup of water, return the saucepan to the cooker and simmer for another half hour. Finely chop the livers and sauté in the remaining butter. Add crushed tomatoes, salt and pepper, and cook the sauce for 20 minutes. Pour the sauce into the saucepan and allow the dish to cook a few more minutes.

Serve the woodcocks on a platter, garnished with bite-sized pieces of bread that have been fried in butter, and pour the sauce over.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :D

http://www.gourmed.gr/greek-recipes/show.asp?gid=1&nodeid=17&arid=801

George Brims
12-Oct-04, 09:47
To save ammunition, one could go to the supermarket and buy those wee frozen Cornish game hens and do the same recipe. I myself might also cut out some of the butter to keep the old arteries from clogging.

tides of pentland firth
12-Oct-04, 10:38
One shot and the woodcock is dead. The chicken lives in horrible cramped conditions (unlike the woodcock, roaming the lovely countryside of Caithness) all its life then is electrocuted and plucked by a machine then sold (not even fresh, unlike the woodcock) in slabs on a supermarket shelf, covered in all sorts of chemicals to make it look nice. Now, what is a more humane way of getting your poultry?

What we need to be worried about is fox hunting. The hunt mannies say that getting ripped limb from limb by a pack of snotty dogs (and watching with enjoyment) is a more humane way of controlling foxes rather than, BANG, one shot of the rifle. [disgust]

squidge
12-Oct-04, 12:47
Im with you on this one tides

I can stomach all hunting if the prey is going to be eaten or cooked or enjoyed. I have no problem with shooting fishing hunting as long as someone lovingly prepares the animal for dinner afterwards.

Strikes me we have become so sanitised about food that we dont know or appreciate the taste of something freshly caught prepared and served. Fish cooked and eaten within a few hours of swimming in the river tastes soooooooooooooooooo much better thanthe flaccid and mass produced stuff we buy in the shops. The same can be true of most game.

Fox Hunting is different. Teh animal is caught and torn to pieces by dogs for amusement - nothing else. NOTHING else. For the thrill of the kill. its cruel barbaric and panders to the basest of our instincts. Cruelty for amusement - appalling!!!!

Kenn
12-Oct-04, 16:38
Errr golach mentioned segauls..now is this some sort of rare breed or is he saying that french sailors are a pest? [lol]
As regards hunting,shooting.fishing I am a farmer's daughter but was brought up to respect all life my father would never condone the local hunt being on his land along with many others in the area they considered the hunt a bigger pest than the fox.
It's no good complaining about the damage being done by the rabbit population when you have killed off the foxes and the birds of prey that keep their numbers under control.Likewise it's no good bemoaning your lot if the fox gets into your chicken run when you have failed to make the fencing fox proof and not shut your chucks up for the night.If a few pheasants are lost that's a risk one takes.. they are an introduced species that has grown to pest proportions to the detriment on our indigenous wild life.
Once a year the local farmers would get together in the autumn and organise a shoot the bag normally consisted of pigeons,rabbits and maybe the od pheasant. Needless to say they all ended up in the pot or the oven.
Provided that shooting,fishing is done put of the breeding season or to cull a herd of deer in order to keep it healthy I have no quarrel with a person taking for the table and will admit to being quite partial to a roast pheasant.
For those that would defend hunting with hounds I question their morality and would remind them that the law might be an ass but it is still the law and in a democracy the will of the majority often becomes that law.Would they be happy if there was an open season on 4x4s,country estates,fishing reaches etc. I think not.If those in that position wish the populace to respect their lands and property then they should respect the will of the people.

Right that's me off my soap box for NOW. :p

Kenn
12-Oct-04, 20:22
'Ats no fair golach..ye've changed the spelling..it was segaulls IT WAS [lol]

JAWS
13-Oct-04, 03:09
I wonder why it is that people are quite happy with rats are being poisoned, mice being squashed to death in traps (and no they don't all die quick painless deaths) and flies to be decimated with fly-sprays amd left to die slowly. and with the speed of thier metabolism very slowly, yet fuss when it comes to sweet little feathered or furry things.

Hands up anybody who has never killed any midges, or don't they count because they are not pretty or cuddly?

Naefearjustbeer
13-Oct-04, 09:18
Funny that I always wonder when I see vegetarians who dont like animals being killed wearing leather shoes!!
I enjoy eating meat and I also shoot and fish. I like to know that some of the food on my table has been caught and humanely killed before being prepared and cooked by myself before I eat it.
Have you ever seen what happens at a slaughterhouse? Do you think the cattle are blissfully unaware of what is happening and quite happy up until the moment they get dispatched?
I did notice an article in the paper recently where school pupils were getting venison on the menu at school and a lot of them seamed to enjoy it. Maybe they have not seen bambi as a lot of peole quote this film when they say they dont eat venison.

phoenix
13-Oct-04, 20:43
Ive never killed anything for eating , but have eaten meat/game killed by someone else. Personally I find game more palatable than any meat from the supermarket, no additives, preservatives or colourings in the wild.

Nowadays though I rarely eat meat from the supermarket if I can help it and eat game even more rarely. I do wear leather shoes, I need to wear something on my feet and I prefer leather to synthetic materials.

One thing I really hate is the guys who fish and once theyve caught one the fisherman then proceeds to remove the hook from the fishes mouth and throw the fish back in the water, and they tell you it doesnt hurt the fish. How do they know?:eek:

JAWS
13-Oct-04, 21:43
Venison is now recommended as "Healthy Eating" because it contains very little fat!

Loafer
13-Oct-04, 21:50
I think at this time of year, with Christmas coming up, we have to feel sorry for the poor Mistles. They die a horrible death after their toes are cut off so everyone can have a kiss under them. :~( :~( :~( :~(

The Loafer

Loafer
13-Oct-04, 22:24
Totally forgot about the poor, poor baby crimpoles that they used to murder to make crimpoline suits. That WAS disgusting. :~( :~( :~( :~(

The Loafer

phoenix
15-Oct-04, 19:24
Loafer youre probably right........considering the mistletoe came from a living breathing tree/bush. As for crimpoline isnt it a derivative from oil which is sucked out of planet earth. Often wondered about that, oil is used for so many things, there must be some huge holes out there. :~(

Loafer
16-Oct-04, 10:12
Phoenix

You are so wrong! The Mistle is a lovely wee creature, not the bonniest in the world, but loveabe and caught because of it's eight toes.
The baby Crimpole is similiar in looks to a baby haggis, a really cuddly, huggable, fluffy wee animal that you just want to take home and love.

The Loafer

golach
16-Oct-04, 12:07
Loafer!!! Weel done ye made your owld cyber faither laugh!!! [lol]
How is my cyber D in Law?

Golach

phoenix
16-Oct-04, 20:12
Depends how you look at it Loafer, I dont think Im wrong I think you are OOO :D