PDA

View Full Version : Two British Institutions .. Now Gone.

The Drunken Duck
29-Mar-11, 23:11
Just been sent these links to some brilliant High Definition clips of Harriers doing their final flypasts before retirement and operating on exercise in the US and off the Ark Royal. Sadly two institutions that are now gone and off to the scrapyard. If you ever wondered what the view is like from the cockpit of Harrier have a look, they are very well put together.

Final 16 ship flypasts .. http://vimeo.com/19303061

Exercise Red Flag in Las Vegas .. http://vimeo.com/16319066

Operating on Ark Royal (for the resident "fish heads") .. http://vimeo.com/15981334

Garnet
30-Mar-11, 00:46
That was brilliant DD, thanks very much, I just loved the Harriers since I was a kid, used to have a model Hawker Sidley Harrier in combat colours and always wanted to fly, did eventually manage it...It's brilliant. Shame these old ladies aren't being replaced by newer ones they had such capabilities, always remember seeing the news clip on tv of one rising out of the trees (Germany I think?) having been well hidden. Mind you a close up of the side of one in the video looked a bit ragged at the seams...heck, but thanks for that. G

Bazeye
30-Mar-11, 01:21
Only time i ever seen them was at the launch of HMS Invincible in 1978. One of them was hovering in front of the royal box, then bowed, turned back on itself and shot vertically into the air like a rocket. The half day holiday wasnt bad either.

northener
30-Mar-11, 08:00
Just been sent these links to some brilliant High Definition clips of Harriers doing their final flypasts before retirement and operating on exercise in the US and off the Ark Royal. Sadly two institutions that are now gone and off to the scrapyard. If you ever wondered what the view is like from the cockpit of Harrier have a look, they are very well put together.

Final 16 ship flypasts .. http://vimeo.com/19303061

Exercise Red Flag in Las Vegas .. http://vimeo.com/16319066

Operating on Ark Royal (for the resident "fish heads") .. http://vimeo.com/15981334

Blimey.....

I remember being in the Caribbean in 1978 when the previous Ark Royal was on the verge of decomissioning. I can remember doing night excersises and watching Phantoms flying off her deck into the night sky like it was yesterday.

I feel old.....

The Drunken Duck
30-Mar-11, 08:25
Have you read "Phoenix Squadron" by Rowland White Northerner ??, its the story of Ark Royal and the role of the Phantom and Buccaneer squadrons in Belize just before she was decomissioned. Its a cracking read.

pmcd
30-Mar-11, 09:11
I remember catching a dhjaisa in Grand Harbour, Valletta to a sundown cocktail party on the old Ark Royal in the mid-seventies. Band of the Royal Marines playing - Evening Hymn and Last Post - in the jewelled setting of this gold and blue ancient harbour. Priceless.

northener
30-Mar-11, 09:42
Have you read "Phoenix Squadron" by Rowland White Northerner ??, its the story of Ark Royal and the role of the Phantom and Buccaneer squadrons in Belize just before she was decomissioned. Its a cracking read.

Certainly have, it's sat on me bookshelf now. Interesting stuff.

northener
30-Mar-11, 09:49
I remember catching a dhjaisa in Grand Harbour, Valletta to a sundown cocktail party on the old Ark Royal in the mid-seventies. Band of the Royal Marines playing - Evening Hymn and Last Post - in the jewelled setting of this gold and blue ancient harbour. Priceless.

Never got into Malta, I was always disappointed by that. We used to go into Gib all the time or Pireaus in Greece....which was a manky hole if ever there was one.:(

Anyway..all is not lost.

Comes with full service history...but when run at full power will burn about 35 tons of diesel per hour.......

http://www.edisposals.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Disposals-Public-Site/en_US/-/GBP/ViewProductDetail-Start;pgid=MieqQ4wkQg8000ArvQ_8K1sp0000X22WalAF?Pr oductUUID=eIDAqBIQIhQAAAEupZZcNt5o&CatalogCategoryID=VaLAqBELPagAAAED8GeasfoP&JumpTo=OfferList

golach
30-Mar-11, 09:53
Never got into Malta, I was always disappointed by that. We used to go into Gib all the time or Pireaus in Greece....which was a manky hole if ever there was one.:(

What!!!!!! you never got a run ashore to that most famous of streets in the Matelots world..."The Gut", no matelot should be without that experience :lol:

northener
30-Mar-11, 09:58
What!!!!!! you never got a run ashore to that most famous of streets in the Matelots world..."The Gut", no matelot should be without that experience

Aye, gutted I never got to the Gut.:Razz

Never made Bugis St either:(.
Had a Far East deployment lined up in 1982, that took in Singers, Mombasa and Oz...but ended up spending most of 82 on penguin watch. Thanks, Mr Galtieri[disgust]

golach
30-Mar-11, 10:17
Aye, gutted I never got to the Gut.:Razz

Never made Bugis St either:(.
Had a Far East deployment lined up in 1982, that took in Singers, Mombasa and Oz...but ended up spending most of 82 on penguin watch. Thanks, Mr Galtieri[disgust]

Oh Northener, you got a Green Rub there, maybe I was lucky sailing under the Red & Blue Ensigns I managed most of the interesting streets of the Matelot World, will never forget my first trip down Bugis St, my eyes were opened, simarly Grant Road in Bombay and Happy Valley in Curacao. My White Ensign life was mainly in Ops Hqs deep in holes in the ground.
And anyway I was married then so my life was much quieter then.

pmcd
30-Mar-11, 10:21
"Storming the Gut with the lads from St. Angelo: sharing the gents' with the Kai-Tais on Bugis St - all gone to look for oblivion"!

(With apologies to Hymen & Carbuncle)

northener
30-Mar-11, 10:24
"Storming the Gut with the lads from St. Angelo: sharing the gents' with the Kai-Tais on Bugis St - all gone to look for oblivion"!

(With apologies to Hymen & Carbuncle)

Now you're making me all maudlin....

golach
30-Mar-11, 10:25
Now you're making me all maudlin....

PLEEEZE dont start posting poetry or songs [lol]

pat
30-Mar-11, 11:41
Been down the Gut a few times when it was the Gut - went down this area in September last year, definitely not the same all tourists shops and offices now.

Went down Bugis Street with an old pal for the first time in 73, his first time down there too, they fair took to him as he had red curly hair - his eyes were out on stalks he had incredible difficulty believing they were not women. The amount of the USA fleet being taken in and rolled was laughable. Next time I go to Canada must remind him and his wife of that visit - must look out some of the photos.

Memories

sandyr1
30-Mar-11, 15:17
What!!!!!! you never got a run ashore to that most famous of streets in the Matelots world..."The Gut", no matelot should be without that experience :lol:

Are yee no thainkan o' e GLUT Mr.G?

pat
30-Mar-11, 15:29
No Sandy
It is the Gut in Malta - all naval ports have there areas and in Malta it was The Gut where 'lonesome men' headed!
Ladies entertained the gentlemen of the fleet.

Anfield
30-Mar-11, 16:03
Have I missed something here?
You state that “..two institutions that are now gone and off to the scrapyard..”

I would say that real, i.e. not fictional items in a “sexed up dossier”, weapons of mass destruction have gone to scrap yard.
Wonder how many men, women & children, of all nationalities, they have killed and maimed in their service life

northener
30-Mar-11, 16:24

Wonder how many men, women & children, of all nationalities, they have killed and maimed in their service life

Probably none.

Question, Anfield:

When warships are used to deliver humanitarian aid, or to attempt to stifle the supply of Cocaine - or even used to help combat piracy....do you sit there shaking your head and chuntering about how 'bad' they all are?

Anfield
30-Mar-11, 16:27
Probably none.
If only you were correct

golach
30-Mar-11, 16:27
Are yee no thainkan o' e GLUT Mr.G?

Mr R, sorry your wrong again, Strait St in Valleta, was famous with British Matelots, it was and still is known as the Gut, it is still there but much quieter these days

sandyr1
30-Mar-11, 16:54
Thank you Mr. G & Mr. P.....I was kinda jokin! I have heard of such 'awful' place. Tut...Tut!
I did have a few drammies at the Glut....The Northern one, and at the Braemore Dance, if you could call it that.
Am unsure of complete details......

George Brims
30-Mar-11, 19:02
Did you sailor blokes ever get into Pearl Harbor? The equivalent street there was Hotel St. A chap of my acquaintance was on his way from the East coast of the mainland US to a job in Australia, and had a long and eventful journey, seeing as he had to use the cheapest bus/train/plane route he could find. This included an overnight stop at Honolulu, where he stumbled half asleep out of the terminal and asked a taxi driver to take him to a hotel. He ended up in Hotel St. He never got to Australia, and has lived in Hawaii ever since!

golach
30-Mar-11, 19:08
Thank you Mr. G & Mr. P.....I was kinda jokin! I have heard of such 'awful' place. Tut...Tut!
I did have a few drammies at the Glut....The Northern one, and at the Braemore Dance, if you could call it that.
Am unsure of complete details......

Now now Mr R, I bet you hung around Dean Street london W1 in your days in the MET, it was rumoured most of the clubs there were run by Maltese :lol:

oldmarine
30-Mar-11, 19:13
Did you sailor blokes ever get into Pearl Harbor? The equivalent street there was Hotel St. A chap of my acquaintance was on his way from the East coast of the mainland US to a job in Australia, and had a long and eventful journey, seeing as he had to use the cheapest bus/train/plane route he could find. This included an overnight stop at Honolulu, where he stumbled half asleep out of the terminal and asked a taxi driver to take him to a hotel. He ended up in Hotel St. He never got to Australia, and has lived in Hawaii ever since!

Wow! Hotel Street. I remember those places during WW2 but never visited any of them. What memories. We need not mention what those places are on Hotel Street.

pat
30-Mar-11, 19:13
Back to original part of thread
Such a shame to these beautiful aircraft going for scrap - can remember when they first started flying with RAF.
Ark Royal - it is the size of her when you are close by that I find impressive, been on board both of the Ark Royals
What are the troops meant to use to fight all the wars/conflicts they are involved/getting hauled into - do they go back to broadswords and dirks?

northener
30-Mar-11, 19:15
If only you were correct

Well, Anfield, you've jumped from wondering how many 'innocents' have been killed by the two items we're discussing to stating above that I am not correct.

No doubt you'll be able to back up your presumption with impartial, referencable fact?

Anfield
30-Mar-11, 20:03
Well, Anfield, you've jumped from wondering how many 'innocents' have been killed by the two items we're discussing to stating above that I am not correct.

No doubt you'll be able to back up your presumption with impartial, referencable fact?

Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/afghanistan/7910896/Wikileaks-Afghanistan-civilian-death-details-could-poison-relations.html) or Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/afghanistan/warlogs/6534E42B-16A2-4E7B-988F-BDFDA246EF3A) or even BBC (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/world-10765129)

northener
30-Mar-11, 20:12
Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/afghanistan/7910896/Wikileaks-Afghanistan-civilian-death-details-could-poison-relations.html) or Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/afghanistan/warlogs/6534E42B-16A2-4E7B-988F-BDFDA246EF3A) or even BBC (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/world-10765129)

I'll give you the Harriers, Anfield. Fair play. Shoulda seen that one a mile off:roll:

Ark Royal?

orkneycadian
30-Mar-11, 20:19
Saw a Harrier close up at Bletchley Park last year. Surprised how small it was! Mind you, thought the same the first time I saw that Spitfire at Edinburgh Airport up close!

pat
30-Mar-11, 22:21
The Spitfire at Edinburgh airport is one of the ones made for the Battle of Britain film - only 3/4 size I understand, so the folk who flew them were not midgets!

When you are fairly close to a Harrier when it is airborn you get a different feeling about this aircraft you can feel the power and see the capabilities of it, fantastic to see it being flown so precisely as to land within an inch.

Phill
30-Mar-11, 22:28
I've had a word with DE&S and I think I can pull off a deal where they'll throw in the Harriers with the big boat. I think I've nobbled some geezer at PJHQ and I reckon I lease 'em back to the MoD.

Off now to Woodford to see about glueing these Nimrods back together and I reckon I'll be a millionaire this time next year!

ducati
30-Mar-11, 22:33
I've had a word with DE&S and I think I can pull off a deal where they'll throw in the Harriers with the big boat. I think I've nobbled some geezer at PJHQ and I reckon I lease 'em back to the MoD.

Off now to Woodford to see about glueing these Nimrods back together and I reckon I'll be a millionaire this time next year!

If the RAF couldn't make any money out of the Nimrods, how will you?

The Typhoon is supposed to be able to outfight a squadron of Harriers so we don't need them....do we?

Anfield
30-Mar-11, 23:04
I'll give you the Harriers, Anfield. Fair play. Shoulda seen that one a mile off:roll:

Ark Royal?
Well, the MOD web site (http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/EquipmentAndLogistics/LastHarrierJetLaunchFromHmsArkRoyal.htm) reports one that pilot to "have flown over 90 sorties off the ship and combat sorties in Afghanistan.."
Lets call this an exceptional figure and halve it to 45. Mutiply this (45) by the number of planes and the number of days involved in conflict and you have a large number of "sorties" being carried out.

I would say that on the balance of probabilities that there have been some civillian deaths caused by aircraft using the Ark Royal.

George Brims
30-Mar-11, 23:24
Wow! Hotel Street. I remember those places during WW2 but never visited any of them. What memories. We need not mention what those places are on Hotel Street.

Funny thing is if you pass through there in the daytime it is just a street of Chinatown, with the usual grocer's shops etc. I once took the municipal bus from the airport to Waikiki, and it goes right along Hotel St. Now at night-time I am reliably informed the whole tone of the place is a lot different!

thejudd
30-Mar-11, 23:25
Having lived in Plymouth I saw alot of the Ark Royal (both of them) and been on her decks a few times as I was a Royal Marine Cadet back in the day lol and was very privillaged to be on the flight deck and get up close and personal with a Harrier landing. It was amazing how it could land on a sixpence, it's something I will never forget

golach
30-Mar-11, 23:28
I would say that on the balance of probabilities that there have been some civillian deaths caused by aircraft using the Ark Royal.

You cannot make an omelette without breaking eggs

argyle kid
31-Mar-11, 01:03
Great links really enjoyed them.

Who voted this lot in. The Americans still operate older types than the versatile HARRIER.
Thanks AK

Shabbychic
31-Mar-11, 01:22
My son served on the Ark Royal. I'll try and dig out some of his pictures and stick them on. (might take a week or 2)

Aaldtimer
31-Mar-11, 02:55
Funny thing is if you pass through there in the daytime it is just a street of Chinatown, with the usual grocer's shops etc. I once took the municipal bus from the airport to Waikiki, and it goes right along Hotel St. Now at night-time I am reliably informed the whole tone of the place is a lot different!

It was the same with Bugis St in Singapore, at midnight the whole scene changed...:lol: