PDA

View Full Version : Brainteaser

hardcore superstar
29-Mar-11, 14:26
Three flat mates decide they need a Television. Heading down town they spot a second hand Flat Screen TV in a shop window, displaying the fact that it is in full working order and being sold at the bargain price of £30.

They go into the store and each hand the young saleswoman £10 each totalling the £30 asking price. They proceed to leave the shop with the TV. A few seconds later the store owner comes into the shop and notices the TV has gone, the assistant explains that three guys came in and purchased for the required £30. The owner being a church-goer and honest chap, had decided that the TV should have been priced at £25, so based on this he asks the sales assistant to quickly catch up with the three guys and give them a £5 refund.

She quickly grabs five pound coins from the cash register but whilst running after them, she thinks how will I give them each an equal share, so she decides to put two of the coins in her pocket (well for her effort in chasing them it is only fair!!) she catches them and hands them each a £1 coin. The guys are over the moon having thought they were getting a bargain in any case.

The dilemma now exists for me. If each of the guys originally handed over £10 each and all got a refund of £1 this means they all spent £9 each. If we add the 3 x £9 the total is £27. The shop assistant took £2, this gives a total of £29, so where is the other £1??

Kodiak
29-Mar-11, 14:45
I rember being asked this back in 1972 when I worked in Curry's as a salesman. There is no answer, it is just the way you state it and saying that 3 X £9 and + £2 is not the correct way to calculate this.

The way to calculate this is the way it happened. £25 for the TV + the £3 handed back + £2 which was kept this = a Total of £30. Simples :D

charlie
29-Mar-11, 14:47
The church-goer and honest chap has £25 in his till
Three puchasers have £1 each in their pockets.
Sales assistant has £2 in her pocket.

25 + 3 + 2 = 30

Hence no £1 pound missing.

Its a matter of addition not multiplication:D

charlie
29-Mar-11, 14:51
I got second prize to Kodiak - must do better.

Kodiak
29-Mar-11, 14:52
Here is another brainteaser for you.

There is a Boat tied up at a pier. Over the side is a Ladder and the Bottom rung is just touching the water. There are 12 Rungs and each rung is 9 inches apart. The Tide comes in and the water level rises 1 foot every hour. At the end of 6 Hours how many rungs have been coverd by the rising tide?

hardcore superstar
29-Mar-11, 14:54
none, because the boat will rise as the water rises.

Kodiak
29-Mar-11, 14:56
He He He !! No fooling you is there.

Kodiak
29-Mar-11, 15:20
Texas Joe decided to go into Dodge City for some fun. He saddled up is horse and rode into town. It took him 2 days to get there, he stayed for one day only as he was soon spent out. He Rode back to his Ranch and this took him two days to get back. He left on Friday and came back on Friday. How is this Possible?

Dadie
29-Mar-11, 15:23
His horse is called Friday!

Simples!