PDA

View Full Version : good books

Ojibwa
03-Sep-06, 17:37
Hi, can anyone recommend some good books. I used to read a lot, but in the last few years I haven't had much time to do it. I just joined my local library but I could do with some recommendations.

I enjoy fiction and non fiction books. In the past I have enjoyed reading autobiographies, and Scottish history. Authors I've enjoyed include Nicholas Sparks, Anita Shreve, Toni Morrison.

Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers. :)

Phoebus_Apollo
03-Sep-06, 18:14
I would recommend "The Magus" by John Fowles - it`s life changing:)

golach
03-Sep-06, 19:32
I have just finished reading a scottish classic once more, Sunset Song by Lewis Grassic Gibbon, not read it for more than 30 years, but after meeting "Airdlass" in the chatroom who comes from the area where the plot of the book was written, I decided to read it once more, "Airdlass" thanks again for pointing out my spelling errors

Ojibwa
03-Sep-06, 23:35
Thanks for your replies, I will defo check out those books. I always meant to read Sunset Song, but never did. Cheers :)

Kingetter
04-Sep-06, 00:16
Here's one from closer to home - maybe you've heard of him - Farley Mowat who is entertaining, if not a potential Pulitzer Prize winner.
The Boat Who Wouldn't Float was for me, really funny.

cuddlepop
04-Sep-06, 11:42
When we're on holiday we alwas raid the charity shops for some books and then give them back to one,but not this one it was a prize find.
Bare Feet@Tackety Boots.by Archie Cameron.
A boy hood on the island of Rhum,:THe authentic breath of the pawky,country-wise estate employee.:
Its a good read. :D

Kingetter
04-Sep-06, 11:50
When we're on holiday we alwas raid the charity shops for some books and then give them back to one,but not this one it was a prize find.
Bare Feet@Tackety Boots.by Archie Cameron.
A boy hood on the island of Rhum,:THe authentic breath of the pawky,country-wise estate employee.:
Its a good read. :D

Sounds good. Do you know of similar books set say in Skye or other Islands?

cuddlepop
04-Sep-06, 13:25
Will try to remember some more titals but all i can think of just now is Maurice O,SUllivan Twenty Years A -Growing.
:If the reader laughs at the schoolmistress and the matrons,and is moved by the dream of the butterfly inside the horse.s skill-then he's assured of amusement and emotion to come:
the books translated from old Irish and tells the story of the author who was born in1904 on a remote island off the Atlantic course of Ireland.Full of folk tales which he heard from his grandfather and sharpened by his own imagination.

Kingetter
05-Sep-06, 01:24
I would recommend "The Magus" by John Fowles - it`s life changing:)

How is it life changing? Did it make changes in your life and how? Are you able to share your thoughts about it with us?

Phoebus_Apollo
05-Sep-06, 22:28
How is it life changing? Did it make changes in your life and how? Are you able to share your thoughts about it with us?

From a personal standpoint I can say this book made me view the world in a different way. I was verging towards nihilism anyways but Fowles just cemented the philosophy that I was trying to deny...we do live in a world of masks and deception and the book made me wake up and "smell the coffee". I deeply recommend it to one and all.

Kingetter
06-Sep-06, 03:22
P_A, when one is desperate one clutches at straws, such a book might be one such, but I sense that there's more you got from it, am I right?

Phoebus_Apollo
06-Sep-06, 21:23
You`re not wrong Kingetter...have you read it??

Kingetter
06-Sep-06, 21:51
You`re not wrong Kingetter...have you read it??

No P_A, I haven't I'm afraid, though it appears I am missing much from not having done so.

martin macdonald
06-Sep-06, 22:08
:lol: the bible is very good to read