PDA

View Full Version : Where was or is Macdowall Street in Thurso?

nevergiveup
28-Mar-11, 17:12
According to an address in the1891 census,there was a Macdowall Street in Thurso.Would anyone know where this street was as i dont remember it at all? Thankyou!:Razz

Venture
28-Mar-11, 23:51
According to an address in the1891 census,there was a Macdowall Street in Thurso.Would anyone know where this street was as i dont remember it at all? Thankyou!:Razz
Quite a few streets had their names changed over the years. Here is a link to a thread from a few years back.

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?25222-Thurso-Street-names&

nevergiveup
29-Mar-11, 15:41
thankyou Venture,ive had a look at this interesting link a lso the ordinance survey map,but alas,no Macdowall street! Hopefully some old Thursa Orgers may know!

Bazeye
30-Mar-11, 01:30
thankyou Venture,ive had a look at this interesting link a lso the ordinance survey map,but alas,no Macdowall street! Hopefully some old Thursa Orgers may know!

1891? Youd probably be better off holding a seance.

nevergiveup
30-Mar-11, 11:26
Point taken!! However there are people on here such as Thursaloon who have a wealth of local knowledge!

stumpy
31-Mar-11, 08:29
I dug out a 1905 O/S street map last night and couldn't find a Macdowall Street.I'm not sure if that means it had been demolished or built over by that time,or just that there's not enough detail on the map.Could this have been one of the small streets at the bottom end of Durness Street?I think there were a number of changes there around the turn of the century.

thirsaloon
04-May-11, 15:21
Macdowall Street is not any maps that I know off. My bet is that it could possibly have been a mistake when being transcribed or written and that it was Meadow Well Street, one of the old names that was used for Manson’s Lane.

If you have any further info or a copy of the census page it came from I may be able to whittle it down for you.

nevergiveup
04-May-11, 22:20
I think you are spot on with your theory about Macdowall Street!I was looking for my ancestors who lived in the Cowgate area in 1891.
I could do with picking your brain next time i am home in Thurso! Thanks for your help Thursaloon!

thirsaloon
05-May-11, 11:37
Not sure how much help I will be and there is not a lot of brains to pick but if I can help with any questions then let me know or send a message on here. The Coogate is right beside Manson Street, didnt know thats where you ancestors stayed but it seems my explanation could be the answer.

Did your ancestors have a business at all or have a connection to fishing, I have done a bit of research on both subjects so may be able to help there.

nevergiveup
05-May-11, 19:11
Thank you Thursaloon! My ancestors were Robertsons and I believe they were carters!

thirsaloon
07-May-11, 14:37
I know some info about various Robertsons, not sure if related to you or not, but I know of one who stayed in Wilson Street, William who was a stone cutter, he died in 1925 and another William what I presume was his son who saved a lad from drowing. There was also a James who was County Clerk and some others.

nevergiveup
07-May-11, 21:05
Thank you thursaloon! Its Murdoch Robertson,son of David Robertson,that im interested in,and any info would be appreciated! Maybe you could send me a PM if its sensitive!

thirsaloon
09-May-11, 10:02
Thank you thursaloon! Its Murdoch Robertson,son of David Robertson,that im interested in,and any info would be appreciated! Maybe you could send me a PM if its sensitive!

Not sure if I have anything on the two you mentioned...well from memory. What was David Robertson's occupation?

nevergiveup
09-May-11, 21:12
I believe he was a Carter too! Pre Bus era!