PDA

View Full Version : how do you get a job offshore?

dragonfly
10-Oct-04, 19:36
Anyone know how to get your foot in the door on the rigs?? Tried a few agencies but they are only interested in those with offshore experience already :(

If anyone can give any valid pointers, they would be appreciated :D

Thnx

gravedigga
10-Oct-04, 20:32
I have a friend who is also trying to get work offshore and the job centre have put him in touch with various companies and helped him apply for the jobs.

dragonfly
10-Oct-04, 20:34
has he had any joy yet? if so, can you pm me with more info

PS its for my husband

gblair
10-Oct-04, 21:09
From people I know, something that can help is getting the offshore sea survival and firefighting courses done. They are compulsory as far as I know but if you have them already then the company does not need to pay the course fees or your wages during the courses.

That said I have never worked or tried to work offshore. Just what I have heard from friends and family.

gravedigga
10-Oct-04, 21:31
Hi, he's had a couple of interviews but nothing came of them, the jobcentre also gave him the money to do his RGIT and gave an allowance for accomodation so if he's unemployed they maybe able to assist.

Best thing to do is get him to pop in to the job centre and see what they have to say.

dragonfly
10-Oct-04, 21:41
thanks gravdigga, he's not unemployed yet - got redundancy date so will wait till he signs on and see if they will subsidise courses etc

gravedigga
10-Oct-04, 21:48
Ohh well good luck. If he's got a trade i'm sure he'll get something offshore soon :D

squidge
10-Oct-04, 23:05
If he is under notice of redundancy he might be eligible for help already. Worth a call to see

dragonfly
11-Oct-04, 20:20
thanks Squidge I'll get him to give them a call too

Naefearjustbeer
12-Oct-04, 23:31
Get your offshore survival course and be able to get to aberdeen at the drop of a hat. Try calling recruitment depts of the companys every couple of days. You never know when someone is going to be off sick and they will be looking for a temporary man for cover. Once you get a trip or 2 you then have the offshore expierience to start applying for a regular contract. Just send out lots of CVs and follow them up with regular calls until you get something.

If Joe Bloggs calls in sick on monday morning for going offshore on wednesday and you are on the phone that day you might just get the trip If you can get to aberdeen in time!

Or ask around does anyone you know work offshore, they might be able to scout out a job and put a good word in for you.

dragonfly
15-Oct-04, 15:04
sorry for not replying earlier, been away, but thanks everyone, there are some good pointers there. :D

dragonfly
22-Oct-04, 18:34
er...thanks riggerboy, that is exactly what we/he is doing. He was off last week doing survival course and since then we've been sending his cv to almost every oil company/recruitment agency we can and if necessary, he's going to spend time in Aberdeen going round them in person when he's redundant.

riggerboy
22-Oct-04, 19:02
if he has a electric background then try a company called KBR or PETROFAC numbers are in the book or try directory inquiries

Wizzbang
23-Oct-04, 17:50
Working offshore at the moment but laying rig up in Invergordon.. If you pass its the one near Nigg and doesnt have a drilling derek.

North sea quiet these days most companys use agency people. if you have a trade and it is in demand then a lot of companys will put you through all the safety and survival courses needed.

I feel that in todays climate if You dont have the servival cert you wont get very far.
They are costly (ironically once you have them and are working offshore the renewels will be paid for by your company)

Try Atlantic rescourcing 01224 247000 ( Ask for Susan Duigood ) She will probably ask for a CV ( if shes in a good mood)

good luck
S..

mareng
23-Oct-04, 21:46
Won't be like that down in Nigeria though! Working "offshore" doesn't always mean "North Sea" and short trips. :(

bazza
24-Oct-04, 07:37
aye y wont get anywhere without your survival, once thats done, get your CV done and post to all companies, keep phoing every week asking if there are vacancies, good luck

Wizzbang
24-Oct-04, 16:41
To True Mareng.

asumed young lad from Caithness saw "Rigs " as North sea

Nigeria's probably not the best place to cut your teeth.

If you like dangerous places im sure he'd get a job in Iraq without to much problems before long. But I wouldnt stick my neck out.

You dont happen to live in Edinburgh Mareng by any chance??

Nigeria.. been there done it worn the T shirt.

happy day

dragonfly
11-Nov-04, 14:59
just to let you know that he is going offshore next week!!!! :D :D :D

only for two weeks initially with expectation of being taken on with the company. He has also had an interview with kvaerner for onshore work and KBR have sent an application form to him after unsolicited mail to them, so things look promising one way or another. :lol:

thanks to all those who gave much needed advice. In the end it was pure luck, applying to the right company at the right time, but if anyone else is trying, just be persistant, register with all the recruitment agencies that are out there on the web and get job alerts sent to you and apply straight away!

ullevi
11-Nov-04, 16:03
o well done :)

gravedigga
11-Nov-04, 23:30
Glad to hear he wasn't redundant/unemployed for too long then :)

dragonfly
12-Nov-04, 10:36
no, today is his last day with his company so it has worked out perfectly :D :Razz :D

Kids can now get a bit more than an orange in their stockings at christmas!!

KT
12-Nov-04, 10:59
my dad used to work offshore. Was really good. Think he misses it too.

But I am now very wary of it. My ex boyfriend went to college for 2 years after leaving school, then did 2 years offshore training.

Straight away hes on £40k+ a year ( before he was even 21). Stupid money. And it went straight to his head. 2 weeks on 3 weeks off, just started blowing his money on nights out and champagne, turned him from the nicest guy ever into a complete Jekll and Hyde. Even started threatening me whenever he was drunk ( apologising and buying flowers when he was sober), and driving the 20miles home after a night out (so drunk he couldnt stand up) in his flash car. Im surprised he didnt kill himself or someone else. I still check the papers every week caise im scared just in case his car appears in it smashed up.

The offshore companies just throw money at kids leaving school and college. All very well after you've been there a while, but he's expecting to be on £60k+ before he even reaches 25. For someone that young, I think thats wrong.

Needless to say, I dont speak to him anymore.

Sorry, I just needed a rant about that. Ive had that bottled up in my system a long time!

golach
12-Nov-04, 11:24
KT
nothing wrong with a good rant, though I dare say Jaws in his infinite wisdom will
disagree [lol]
Golach

ullevi
12-Nov-04, 11:43
No Sarcasim intended at all Supermam

I was just being realistic in my appraisal of offshore work.I have known and worked with many people who work offshore and one thing they all had in common were there like of a good drink and that they went offshore as a married man but after a while the relationship would suffer with the strain of one half being away all the time.Just my opinion really and hope all goes well with your husbands new job as it sounds as though he wants to go offshore.
Its a tough job in more ways than people think missing birthdays xmas new year and anniversaries :~(

Good luck :)

Naefearjustbeer
12-Nov-04, 12:00
Straight away hes on £40k+ a year ( before he was even 21). Stupid money. And it went straight to his head. 2 weeks on 3 weeks off, just started blowing his money on nights out and champagne, turned him from the nicest guy ever into a complete Jekll and Hyde. Even started threatening me whenever he was drunk ( apologising and buying flowers when he was sober), and driving the 20miles home after a night out (so drunk he couldnt stand up) in his flash car. Im surprised he didnt kill himself or someone else. I still check the papers every week caise im scared just in case his car appears in it smashed up.

Report him before he kills someone! he has no regard for his own safety let alone anyone elses.

golach
12-Nov-04, 13:53
Report him before he kills someone! he has no regard for his own safety let alone anyone elses.

Narfear, ye better watch it or Jaws will say you are infringing the drivers right to have a wee swally [lol]

Golach

JAWS
12-Nov-04, 14:40
No Golach, but I will defend his right to work off-shore and I don't care if he earns a hundred grand at 21. His behaviour after that is a completely different matter.

I'm not surprised he is an "Ex-boyfriend" but the "Champaign" and "Flash Car" says a lot more that I suspect was intended.
Presumably his behaviour would not have been quite so bad if it was "Lager" and "Old Banger".

His behaviour is no different than the person who works all week in his home area and spends all night in his local bar on pay0day and then drives home drunk and beats up his wife.

I suspect that his behaviour would have been the same whatever his circumstances. Many men work away from their families for long periods and do not behave like that!

KT
12-Nov-04, 15:32
I did report him one night...the only night he gave me the chance to catch him at it.

he was outside my flat in his car, blazing drunk and phoning me. I phoned the police and gave them all of the number plate that I could remember just as he sped off home. Unfortunately, Grampian police were 'quite streched' that night and never caught him. I sometimes wonder if they even tried.

Always swore that if I ever saw him getting into his car after being out I would phone the police again, even wrote down the whole number plate, but i havent seen him since. My friends in Aberdeen keep a lookout for me now though.

I dont blame the working away from home, I blame too much money before hed grown up enough to handle it. Dont think he will ever grow up now, not until its too late and he's killed someone anyway.

Shame, he was a good cook! ;)

JAWS
12-Nov-04, 20:39
Money is not to blame, some people without money can behave like that.

It doesn't take money for some people to become a waste of space. More unfortunately it doesn't take youth either!