PDA

View Full Version : Well I never?!

Commore
26-Mar-11, 18:38
Anyone who has partaken in a little rebuilding of the old style drystane walls will have an inkling of what I mean.

Thus far, I have found all manner of peculiar things as well as things like false teeth, old wine bottles, milk bottles, old crockery, spoons, "embrocation bottles" really old tools, etc, etc

What is the strangest thing you have found when repairing / rebuilding such as these walls?

Metalattakk
26-Mar-11, 19:36
A 10 rouble note, 14 individual unstruck matches and a packet of Space Raiders.*

Do I win £5?

*Some of that might be made up. The rest definitely is. ;)

Beat Bug
27-Mar-11, 00:31
Apart from the usual assortment of farm/garden tools, bottles and rusty bits of metaly, we found a heavy duty propeller.

bekisman
27-Mar-11, 08:18
Took one of ours (drystone walls) down in 1990 and right at the bottom, in the middle, were a set of four silver teaspoons, mentioned it to the coppers, were not interested, suppose as that wall had been there over 100 years!
Also when we were refurbishing, took down the original plaster in the living room and found a 'bible box' with a perfectly preserved really old screwdriver..

Kenn
27-Mar-11, 08:31
Sounds to me that some one was realy getting their teeth into the job Commore!

Commore
27-Mar-11, 12:07
Took one of ours (drystone walls) down in 1990 and right at the bottom, in the middle, were a set of four silver teaspoons, mentioned it to the coppers, were not interested, suppose as that wall had been there over 100 years!
Also when we were refurbishing, took down the original plaster in the living room and found a 'bible box' with a perfectly preserved really old screwdriver..

We believe that few of the walls on our land have ever been touched since the day of their building, thus making them in excess of a century old, although I very much doubt that they had plastic / false teeth one hundred years ago :)

In our last place, there were purportedly supposed to be, buried in the walls seven gold bands/ rings, one for each of the wives within each generation, my husband completely rebuilt our last farm from a ruin, which had been laid derelict since 1955 or thereabouts, he left no stone unturned so to speak, however, the seven gold rings were never found,however, other artefacts were, and they are to my knowledge on display within a certain museum on an island closeby.

I am a lover of history and I am intrigued by all things "old", so even the littlest medicine bottles will no doubt find a place on a shelf in the 21st century,
not sure about the false teeth though :)

Commore
27-Mar-11, 12:08
Sounds to me that some one was realy getting their teeth into the job Commore!

LOL, Liz..........you brought a smile.