PDA

View Full Version : staffie x pitbull puppy

Lassie
26-Mar-11, 14:49
can I ask what training the puppy has had, can it sit, stay, walk to heel or is it just toilet trained - also what type of pitbull is it crossed with as most types of pitbulls are banned?

Sarah
26-Mar-11, 18:06
All pit bulls are banned in this country, so whoever takes on this dog will need to be VERY VERY careful. I assume the dog is licensed (as required by law to keep such a dog in this country)?

unicorn
26-Mar-11, 18:19
When you look at the hell this poor family have gone through trying to get their dog back thats NOT a pit bull, why would you breed a banned dog and set a family up for heartache and the poor dog.
http://www.savelennox.co.uk/

teenybash
26-Mar-11, 19:20
This is so wrong to continue to breed these poor souls who end up being destroyed by the thousands....suggest everyone clicks Unicorns link and read the heartbreaking story.......for looking like a 'type' of pitbull
Sad people are hell bent on using these beautiful dogs to make a quick buck..........

maggie
27-Mar-11, 00:40
Original post removed

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1991/65/section/1

dragonfly
27-Mar-11, 08:11
I saw the original post and shuddered at the thought of a 6 month old staffie x "pitbull" puppy being advertised as "reliable" and I'm sure it also said good with children or something to that effect! not sure what type of pitbull it was crossed with but just shows the ignorance of the breeder - even if not planned, which I really hope it wasn't, then the pups should have been aborted rather than left to be born.

brandy
27-Mar-11, 09:01
humm never heard of a tosa before.. but they look beautiful.. even if they are bred to wrestle.

scottyjock
27-Mar-11, 09:03
I saw the original post and shuddered at the thought of a 6 month old staffie x "pitbull" puppy being advertised as "reliable" and I'm sure it also said good with children or something to that effect! not sure what type of pitbull it was crossed with but just shows the ignorance of the breeder - even if not planned, which I really hope it wasn't, then the pups should have been aborted rather than left to be born.

Perhaps you could enlighten me as to the different types of Pitbull there are, as i can only think of one, The Pitbull Terrier.

scottyjock
27-Mar-11, 09:09
Perhaps the OP could enlighten us as to where the Pitbull parent of this puppy came from? Considering that, as stated in the link on one post on here, Pitbulls, Pitbull x and Pitbull types have been banned since 1991. As soon as the ban came into force under the DDA 1991, ALL Pitbulls and Pitbullx had to be neutered, microchipped and muzzled when out in a public place, you would expect, even a puppy pitbull at the time, would now be 20 years old and if still able to stand up, would probably be a little bit too doddery to breed this one pup;)

Still if the 20 year old Pitbull, who should've been neutered, managed not only to defy a neutering, but to defy longevity, i want some of what he has.

dragonfly
27-Mar-11, 09:58
Perhaps you could enlighten me as to the different types of Pitbull there are, as i can only think of one, The Pitbull Terrier.

sorry I meant the "Bull" part not the pit part - staffies, bull terriers etc tend to be tarred with the same reputation as pitbulls - I hope that has enlightened you?

scottyjock
27-Mar-11, 10:05
sorry I meant the "Bull" part not the pit part - staffies, bull terriers etc tend to be tarred with the same reputation as pitbulls - I hope that has enlightened you?

I did not know that Staffies and Bull Terriers etc tend to be tarred with the same brush, what are your experiences of this? The ones i meet are usually happy little fellows, especially the English Bull Terriers, i am really rather fond of those.

I was already enlightened and your apology is accepted, thank you

dragonfly
27-Mar-11, 11:01
no need to be condecending SJ, I mearly posted my thoughts, not realising they were going to be analysed indepth

scottyjock
27-Mar-11, 12:19
no need to be condecending SJ, I mearly posted my thoughts, not realising they were going to be analysed indepth

I could say the same about your little 'I hope that has enlightened you' remark to a perfectly reasonable question, young lady.

As you also wrote 'staffies, bull terriers etc tend to be tarred with the same reputation as pitbulls' i assumed you had evidence or personal experience of this instead of just hearsay, which is why i wanted clarification on the matter.

I do also wonder whether the OP (now removed) realises that it is illegal to pass on a Pit bull x or otherwise to a 2nd party

dragonfly
27-Mar-11, 12:59
thats the thing with the written word it can be taken in the wrong way too easily. I have plenty experience with dogs however not personally of these breeds and yes its hearsay however thats the reputation they tend to have, I know many people with staffies and know they are loving dogs, not putting them down at all. and thanks for the young lady remark that has made my day lol just expressing my thoughts on how someone can advertise a pitbull x as reliable?!?

scottyjock
27-Mar-11, 15:41
MOST Pit Bulls are reliable with people, they were one of the first breeds to complete a 'flip finish' in obedience trials in the states (along with Greyhounds) and they do very well in the shows i have seen, and MOST get along quite nicely with families in my experience, however, i would not trust The Pit Bull 100% around other dogs and that goes for Pit Bullx too.

I am pleased i have made someone's day, my work is done and i can rest my tired old bones for a while.

thats the thing with the written word it can be taken in the wrong way too easily. I have plenty experience with dogs however not personally of these breeds and yes its hearsay however thats the reputation they tend to have, I know many people with staffies and know they are loving dogs, not putting them down at all. and thanks for the young lady remark that has made my day lol just expressing my thoughts on how someone can advertise a pitbull x as reliable?!?

Hogfather
27-Mar-11, 17:29
I'd be surprised to see a 6 month old puppy of any breed being 'reliable' ;) - most of mine were still little hooligans at that age:lol:

Agree with above poster that APBT (and many of the bull breeds) are generally cracking dogs with people. Unless they are bred and owned by dodgy characters/idiots/insert term of choice here - but that could go for any breed owned by an *unsuitable* person:confused

Feel sorry for bullies, they get far more bad press than they deserve.

teenybash
27-Mar-11, 17:45
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/asp/2010/9/pdfs/asp_20100009_en.pdf

Might be worth while to keep up to date with the latest legislation re dangerous dogs act at it differs in Scotland. On Feb 26th Deed Not Breed came into force making the DEED the offence no matter the breed. BSL still exists in Scotland as this cannot be repealed by the Scottish Parliament and has to be done through Westminster, mores the pity as they are dragging their feet while bull mixes are being killed by the thousand. Hopefully, someday soon England, Wales and Northern Ireland will see sense and stop lifting and killing family pets who have done no harm.
For an example of what is happening throughout the UK please click on this link www.savelennox.co.uk (http://www.savelennox.co.uk) and read the horror of what is happening. Hopefully this will see you sign his petition http://savelennoxpetition.co.uk and join his Facebook page. His court case is this Tuesday March 29th in Belfast when his fate will be decided.

brandy
27-Mar-11, 17:53
i will never agree with having american Pitt bulls anywhere near children . the breed itself is unstable, and is highly volatile.
they have the ability and the willingness to tear a child apart.
all dogs can be dangerous. but american pitt bulls just are.. this is coming from experienced. have had several run ins with the breed.. and nearly been mauled by a loving pet pit bull.. that was ohhh so great with children.. but would go mad for a stick.. to the point it would maul the person holding it.

Hogfather
27-Mar-11, 18:08
.. but would go mad for a stick.. to the point it would maul the person holding it.

I've known labradors like that though - they just haven't been raised to know that it's 'bad manners' to maul the person holding your toy! And of course they may not have the power/weight/grip/pain threshhold/determination that characterise certain other breeds.

Not going to disagree with your PoV though Brandy, I haven't met a pit in nearly 30 years :)

brandy
27-Mar-11, 18:54
*laughs* that is true.. but when i say maul.. i really mean maul as in .. attack the person with the stick.. and tear into them aggressively. sometimes i dont think they can help themselves. i dont know if its the mentality of an animal that has been bred for aggression.. or what.. but they are one breed i would never trust. a lot of people say that its in the raising of them that causes the behavior but if you raise a wolf in captivity its still not a house pet, or a big cat raised by hand does not make it a tabby..

scottyjock
27-Mar-11, 19:46
[QUOTE=teenybash;834900]http://www.legislation.gov.uk/asp/2010/9/pdfs/asp_20100009_en.pdf

Might be worth while to keep up to date with the latest legislation re dangerous dogs act at it differs in Scotland. On Feb 26th Deed Not Breed came into force making the DEED the offence no matter the breed.

You make a very valid point, however, at the moment, Pits are still a banned breed, making it illegal to pass one on, which is what started this thread.

scottyjock
27-Mar-11, 19:49
We probably all meet Pits, without even realising it, on a daily basis. They are now being registered with the Kennel Club as Irish Staffs or Olde Tyme Staffs, some are even advertised as Labrador x Boxer.