PDA

View Full Version : NHS Public meeting, Assembly rooms, Wick

gravedigga
07-Oct-04, 22:46
There was a poor turn out tonight, i expected to see much more people but there were good arguments put forward.

Any ideas on the number of people attended last night and in Thurso??

Tristan
08-Oct-04, 13:01
There were about 80 people who attended in Wick on the 6th. Some very good points were raised, and the NHS did their usual dodge and weave.

Very disheartening, as it is obvious the NHS is not committed to finding a way to providing 24/7 care, which is the best, safest solution for mothers and babies in Caithness.

JAWS
08-Oct-04, 14:53
The suggestion that the staffing problems have been created by the uncertainty they have caused themselves over the future of the unit really upsets them.

The way it was brushed off without explanation at Lybster told it's own story. More often than not, no answer is an answer in itself.

tides of pentland firth
08-Oct-04, 16:53
It's crazy, all this out of hours stuff. Health care is not 9 to 5. It's not as if your less likely to have a heart attack at night.
There was a poor turn out at the meeting. I think Wickers think that they just can't change anything or they leave it to someone else to do it for them. This seems to be the problem with nearly every issue that faces us. The times (or tides if you like) are a changin' and we all need to stick together and fight for what we want cos no one else will do it for us, and it wont help if the axemen and bureaucrats think we are a push over.

caisha
09-Oct-04, 20:21
As a newcomer to this area, I went to the meeting with a fairly open mind but it became clear very quickly that the NHS management have made their minds up already!

It seemed to me like they were saying "well, the service here is unsafe and that's why we can't continue" but at the same time they were saying that there weren't enough ambulances and capacity in Raigmore to cope with the increased demand so how is making Caithness women travel to Inverness any safer?

It also seemed like these overpaid, middle aged men were looking for women to have their babies to some sort of schedule with a set timetable where all changes are discussed in advance. Life ain't like that!

Well seen none of the men making the decision will ever have to make that journey!

JAWS
09-Oct-04, 23:11
Caisha, didn't you know that Mothers-to-be are given Due Dates well in advance so that an appointment can be arranged for that date between 9am and 5pm, weekends and holidays excluded.

If their babies cannot be bothered to turn up at the time of the appointment then that will be listed as a "Failed to Show" and a letter of admonishment will be sent advising that any further occurrences will lead to the baby being struck off the NHS patients list.

Mothers-to-be must be made to appreciate that in the modern climate such behaviour will not be tolerated.

Nature must be made to conform to the modern world. The Status Quo Is Not An Option!

Mothers with anticipated "Difficult Births" must make alternative arrangements as the resulting Bed Blocking is an inefficient use of resources and causes administrative difficulties and unneccessary additional paperwork.

To save additional costs to the Ambulance Service Mothers-to-be should set off in plenty of time in order that they do not give birth whilst walking to Raigmore as the over-stretched clinicians will not have time to fit them into their busy schedule.

To ensure your comfort whilst at Raigmore and to benefit your baby it is advisable to bring your own bed and cot with you!

caisha
10-Oct-04, 11:10
:D

Well, I have no kids as yet so I am pretty ignorant of these matters.

Thanks for putting me straight <grin>

JAWS
10-Oct-04, 16:37
Caisha, to bring you up to date with the current situation.

There is no political agenda, all the Scottish Health Boards have independently decided at the same time to centralise their Maternity Units in one Hospital for each Board’s area.

This is definitely not a cost cutting exercise and is purely in the interests and safety of the mothers-to-be and their babies, but they will need as many Consultants to pay. And you should still believe in Father Christmas and the Good Tooth Fairy as well!

The Highland NHS Board have tried in every way to recruit the necessary Staff but none of them want to live in the North of Scotland because it’s a backwater which leads to nowhere for such important people who need people of similar intellect around them. Besides, and this is their explanation not mine, their children don’t like it here because “there are no MacDonalds” etc! (What a pathetic excuse and that really is the best they can think of!)

Transport is not a problem despite the lack of Ambulances and Staff to man them. Besides, there is always the Helicopter, but it is not big enough to take a mother in labour. But there is always the MOD Sea King Helicopter from Lossiemouth despite the fact that there are moves afoot to close the Base in the near future.

Increasing the area covered by Caithness General to increase it’s work load is not acceptable because everybody wants to go the Raigmore anyway.

Families will be catered for by the provision of accommodation , at a reasonable price, so mothers-to-be can have family support. Of course, all relatives have no need to work and can stay in Inverness whenever the mood takes them.

And Monty Python is alive and well and still writing their scripts for them!

badger
11-Oct-04, 19:23
Like your comments Jaws. I'd say it would be good for certain gentlement at NHS to read them but I don't thing they'd get it. I'm still trying to understand the document handed out at the meetings.

Delighted to see Jack McConnell saying he wanted to reverse the decline in population. Wonder if he's mentioned that to the new Health Minister or haven't they heard of joined-up government (of course they haven't - silly me)

JAWS
11-Oct-04, 20:41
Try the "Delivering Maternity Care in Caithness and Sutherland" that they issued, it runs to 11 pages of Admin Speak and refers to Acts of Parliament, European Directives, Surveys, Working Groups and, of course, Expert Groups knowing full well that very few people will have the time or the inclination to read them. They have deliberately failed to give any indication of what they say but do give web addressess for them (very useful for people who have no internet).
Now, let me see, where did I leave my copy of the European Working Times Directive, I'm sure I left it by the side of my bed last night when I had finished reading it! Sorry Folks, I can't just put my hands on it so you will have to but your own at the paper shop!

There is more information they issued after that one which runs to about 40 pages but the Doctors objected to me spending a couple of weeks cluttering up their Waiting Area whilst I studied it. (Pity really because I wanted something for insomnia!)

The reason the Health Minister was changed is so they can play the "It wasn't me, I wasn't there then!" and "I can't comment, it's not my Department now!"

One President of the US had a plaque on his desk which read, "The Buck Stops Here!"
The Clowns we have have a plaque which reads, "Do Not Disturb, I've Not Got My Excuse Ready Yet!"