PDA

View Full Version : Girls with Autism?

Cinders392
25-Mar-11, 12:04
I just wondered if there were many parents in Caithness who have a daughter with autism. On research girls with autism go un noticed and it is more boys that get diagnosed.

Dadie
25-Mar-11, 12:27
Girls are rarer to be on the autistic spectrum.

4/5 that have diagnosed autism are boys...but that may be due to the way its diagnosed.

As most of the assessments dont pick up on girls with autism as they are geared towards boys.

Have the health visitors given you info on the groups and CEYAC?

You might find more parents with girls with autism (or waiting to be assessed) at the groups.

All you hear about is boys with it...girls are un noticed and may even slip through the radar....

lindsaymcc
25-Mar-11, 13:15
This is interesting as a mother of a girl who we think is on the Aspergers spectrum. We have a GP appointment on monday to discuss, but from all my research, it does seem girls are less likely to be diagnosed than boys.

brandy
25-Mar-11, 13:16
also, girls tend to have autism more severe than boys at time. not that that really matters.. but there are a couple girls up here that i know of . i dont know their parents per say.. just from seeing the kids and mums and dads in passing.

The Happy Humanist
25-Mar-11, 15:41
Boys do predominate but there are parents of girls who have attended the parents support groups in Wick and Thurso and the Parent's Information Evenings organised by Social Work last year, (hopefully these may start up again)
Any new parent is very welcome to come along during the process of diagnosis and after.
In general, girls have better communication and social skills than boys at an early age and this can lead to a later diagnosis or the appearance that girls have more severe impairment, but I think awareness is growing and other signs are being recognised earlier. But whatever the age of your child (even if they are adults) you will be welcome.
The contact number for the Autism Groups mobile is 07923 477002

Cinders392
25-Mar-11, 16:16
at my daughters 3 year check they noticed some of her slower area of development and the next day at playgroup the other healthvistor dropped in about the autism spectrum and 'mild' autism. Of course I did not think there was such a thing. So I researched it and yes the symptoms are there of it but Im sure all children have had the symptoms at one point.
We are on the list waiting to see the paediatrician and its been about a month.

stekar
25-Mar-11, 16:58
Got two kids, both with autism. The boy is more Aspergers but the girl is very badly affected with autism. He was diaganosed about three and a half years of age, where she was diaganosed just after two.

cuddlepop
25-Mar-11, 22:45
I,ve just received my copy of a book which I think will be very "enlightening".

All I can handle,I'm no mother Teresa.by Kim Stagliano

Its a "fun" look at raising three daughters on the autistic spectrim.

Girls are really difficult to get a diagnoses for, my own daughter was 9 before we had an Aspergers + .She's 20 soon and while its never been easy there have been "fun" times.:D

She's such a good actress now at hiding her difficulties that a trained psychologist was fooled and she is her tutor at college.:eek:

Cinders392
26-Mar-11, 10:45
Thank you for the replies. Ill have a look at the book, she hasnt been diagnosed but they suspect her older brother may have ADHD! which is in my side of the family. Just didnt think lightning could strike twice

cuddlepop
26-Mar-11, 18:14
Thank you for the replies. Ill have a look at the book, she hasnt been diagnosed but they suspect her older brother may have ADHD! which is in my side of the family. Just didnt think lightning could strike twice

Cinders,unfortunatly it tends to run in familys

My mother,we suspect had it.My brother and his son both have an ASD.
My closet friend has two sons with an ASD.

Unfortunatly with ASD the lightening can stike as often as it wants,only you only get burnt once because you know whats going to happen.:(

stekar
26-Mar-11, 18:40
Never been anyone else in our families, guess we were just lucky that lightening struck twice!