PDA

View Full Version : Voting

sweetpea
25-Mar-11, 09:48
So I'm wondering who to vote for in the Wick by election. What do you do when you honestly don't think any of them are up to the job? I hate to think of wasting my vote but can't see why I would want any of them so probably won't bother. What would you guys do?

The Music Monster
25-Mar-11, 10:00
If you really don't want to cast a vote that counts then you can deface your paper, and you will still have done something. I believe in countries where voting is compulsory this is what people who feel like you are encouraged to do.

Mr P Cannop
25-Mar-11, 10:11
vote for gail ross

sweetpea
25-Mar-11, 10:18
If you really don't want to cast a vote that counts then you can deface your paper, and you will still have done something. I believe in countries where voting is compulsory this is what people who feel like you are encouraged to do.

I wouldn't deface the paper don't see the point in that but of all the candidates, only 2 I know and think they are more interested in self-promotion so wouldn't vote for them, the others I've never heard of and nothing has come through my door to say what they are standing for. Not sure about compulsory voting sounds a bit like what goes on in some of these countries with regimes like Mugabe to me.
I'd have thought some of them might have been knocking on doors so I could get the chance to quiz them but not so far.

charlie
25-Mar-11, 11:51
Not sure about compulsory voting sounds a bit like what goes on in some of these countries with regimes like Mugabe to me.

Australia has it.

sweetpea
25-Mar-11, 12:10
Oh well if it's good enough for Australia eh. I think partly why I haven't got a clue who to vote for is that I don't know what any of them are proposing to do if they get in and also what qualifications they have to be representing us. I voted last time as I was confident in the person's ability but this time I'm not so sure.

_Ju_
25-Mar-11, 12:16
Not sure about compulsory voting sounds a bit like what goes on in some of these countries with regimes like Mugabe to me.

Try Australia, for example.

Regimes like Mugabe are not interested in people voting. The less that visit the polls, the more able they are to manipulate the vote.

sweetpea
25-Mar-11, 12:22
Oh well lucky I'm only interested in what's happening in Wick. Mind you it's amazing how many folk have asked me who to vote for out of interest, probably not just me who can't decide.

Eilanboy
25-Mar-11, 15:58

You could vote forthe eccentric Mr Bush.Saw him and his election agent going to a meeting in the Assembly Rooms the other night with the other candidates.Would have certainly added a bit of colour to the proceedings "literally"

hamishmacdonald
03-Apr-11, 15:49
I've read the flyers and the (identical) newspaper profiles, and I'm with you: Most of it is awfully close to marketing-speak and doesn't reveal much, sticking to safe, general platitudes and hopeful promises. I have no idea who these people are or what they really stand for, so I've no idea whom to vote for.

What would really help is a Question Time-like hustings where we could actually see these people, ask them questions, and hear them debate local issues in a real setting. Is anything of the sort planned? If not, geez, we're supposed to invest our vote based on some uncontested bumpf printed on a half-sheet of A5?

sweetpea
03-Apr-11, 17:00
I've read the flyers and the (identical) newspaper profiles, and I'm with you: Most of it is awfully close to marketing-speak and doesn't reveal much, sticking to safe, general platitudes and hopeful promises. I have no idea who these people are or what they really stand for, so I've no idea whom to vote for.

What would really help is a Question Time-like hustings where we could actually see these people, ask them questions, and hear them debate local issues in a real setting. Is anything of the sort planned? If not, geez, we're supposed to invest our vote based on some uncontested bumpf printed on a half-sheet of A5?

Totally agree. Could hardly even read the letter from John Thurso about Claire Clarke, he should have typed it. A hustings would have been good for us the voters but not for the candidates as I know a few of them wouldn't come accross well at all. So who have we got to chose from - manager of the co-op, mini rugby coach, a pensioner who was in the seat 8 years ago, a nutjob druggie and I can't even mind the rest. Great.