PDA

View Full Version : People!

squidge
25-Mar-11, 08:25
Yesterday I went shopping to tesco. We were not eating until late last night so I wanted a quick tea for the babies. I bought them hot dogs and curly fries and ice cream for dessert. Not terribly healthy but as they eat really well and don't get 'junk food' very often I was quite happy to add some sweetcorn and some bananas to the shopping and give them that for their dinner.

As I got to the checkout I was behind a young lady who after looking in my trolley and at my wee ones said to me ....

"excuse me but I think you should know that's really unhealthy food for those babies, you should be feeding them much more healthy nutritious food than that"

I was a little taken aback as was the person in the queue next checkout. I asked the woman if she knew what the children had eaten for dinner the rest of the week and pointed out that they had eaten home made meals, fruit, veg and no processed food at all. She was quite shirty and went on to say

"food like that is why our children are obese and have
problems when they get older" I asked her how many children she had to which she replied that she had one so I pointed out that I have five children including three grown up ones and that she probably weighed more than any of them. I also went on to suggest she was really lucky to have chosen me to speak to in that way because someone else might have slapped her face for being so judgemental.

She huffed off after paying for her couple of bits of shopping and the cashier and I laughed, as did the couple in the queue next to me.

Seriously though, why do people think it's appropriate to make judgements about others based on a shopping trolley with half a dozen items in it.

annemarie482
25-Mar-11, 08:44
what a cheeky mare!!!!!
i'm glad it was you she got and you put her right!
dont like i'd have been quite so polite :lol:

nothing worse than a nosey doo-gooder.
they rarely know the facts!!

Kenn
25-Mar-11, 09:59
Go squidge, you tell 'em!.............................................. .

Dadie
25-Mar-11, 10:21
A little of what you fancy does no harm.
Junk food once in a while is not a big issue.
A Thursday is our junk lunch day...as Im busy going from mother and toddlers in Wick to the one in Watten.
We end up having fruit shoots, cheesy whotsits, mini sausages or sausage rolls etc...usually some strawberries or grapes as a token effort at some healthy food as Im never organised enough to get everyone else ready and do packed lunches as well.
If that lady had tried that with me she would have been told in no uncertian terms that it wasnt any of her business!
And she might go off thinking I was inarticulated and too thick to get her message across to, but she wouldnt try again!

orkneycadian
25-Mar-11, 10:37
I think I can honestly say I have never experienced this reaction when buying whatever I fancy in friendly, local shops! ;)

gleeber
25-Mar-11, 10:41
It's the kind of thing that may happen on the org. I would call it forum fever. :lol:

bekisman
25-Mar-11, 10:56
I think I can honestly say I have never experienced this reaction when buying whatever I fancy in friendly, local shops! ;)

Is that 'cos you're the only one in there? ;)

Doreen
25-Mar-11, 11:08
Good on you Sqidge some people have no manners what right did she have saying that to you when reading your post it made my blood boil if that was me i would not have been as calm what a cheek she had .

brandy
25-Mar-11, 11:17
lets see.. my teas for the week.
tonight is spag and meatballs..
yesterday was our junk food night.. as we were all over, and sam dosent eat at home on a thursday.
chillie on wed.
chicken rissota on tues
gammon steaks on monday
and roast chicken the day before that..
we are having ham tomorrow and prob. a roast on sunday.

John Little
25-Mar-11, 13:17
The Trolley Inspector’s song

If you give me your attention, I will tell you what I
am:
I'm a genuine philanthropist -- all other kinds are
sham.
Each little fault of temper and each social defect
In my erring fellow-creatures, I endeavour to correct.
To all their little weaknesses I open people's eyes;
And little plans to snub the self-sufficient I devise;
I love my fellow creatures -- I do all the good I
can--
Yet ev'rybody says I'm such a disagreeable girl
And I can't think why!

I know ev'rybody's shopping and what ev'rybody eats;
And I carefully compare it with my bag of tasty treats
But to benefit humanity however much I twirl,
Yet ev'rybody says I'm such a disagreeable girl!
And I can't think why!

I'm sure I'm no ascetic; I'm as pleasant as can be;
You'll always find me ready with a crushing repartee,
I've an irritating chuckle, I've a celebrated sneer,
I've an entertaining snigger, I've a fascinating leer.
To ev'rybody's prejudice I know a thing or two;
I can tell a woman's age in half a minute -- and I do.
But although I try to make my pleasantness unfurl
Yet ev'rybody says I'm such a disagreeable girl!
And I can't think why!

Thanks to G and S.

Hoida
25-Mar-11, 15:55
Good job I wasn't in the queue behind her, I usually have junk food in my trolley especially when family are at home. It is no ones business what was in your trolley and you were not asking her to pay for it.

weezer 316
25-Mar-11, 17:24
I bet that young lady spends every weekend being healthy getting smashed on a 2/3 day bender. In her defence she probably drinks low fat milk

orkneycadian
25-Mar-11, 18:26
Is that 'cos you're the only one in there? ;)

Not fairly, but then we don't experience the other things mentioned in this forum such as "Trolley Rage" either (the shops ain't big enough for trolleys....)!

Bazeye
25-Mar-11, 18:31
Seriously though, why do people think it's appropriate to make judgements about others based on a shopping trolley with half a dozen items in it.

Sure I didnt slip something in your trolley when you werent looking?

Alba.gu.brath
25-Mar-11, 20:02
Btw I wrote this on my husbands account

oh dear! Good on you I would have beed one of those that had slapped the cheeky git!

I have an 8month old daughter but when she was a baby baby I went out with a friend to town! We decided to sit outside jamesons bakery to have a cuppa as we both had young children, my daughter started to scream so I decided to discreetly breastfeed her, I had bearly gotten my daughter latched on when a little old lady came over and rudly pointed out that she didnt think it appropriate that I was feeding my 1month old in the street!

I asked how she had fed her children, to which she replied "of course I breastfed, but I had the dececy to stay in my house to do it"

After her reply i kindly (although I felt like screaming) asked to to mind her own business and leave. She did so but went a way muttering to herself about how young people dont have manners anymore!

I asked my friend if you could see anything to which she replied "no,,, you would have to be staring to have seen anything. it just looked like I was having a cuddle!

Needless to say I didnt breastfeed my daughter in public after that!

That women went on about how the younger generation don't have manners but that day I think she'd left hers at home!!!

Bazeye
25-Mar-11, 21:01
Should have kicked her walking stick away or let her tyres down on her mobility scooter, or if you were in a particularly good mood ask her if she'd seen anything of Dorothy or Toto recently.

oldmarine
26-Mar-11, 00:50
squidge: I liked your answer. I sometimes make poor judgement, but yours was an excellent response.