PDA

View Full Version : New Blue Recycling Wheelie Bins

Gizmo
24-Mar-11, 17:22
Is anyone else's new bin nearly full yet?, It's 2 weeks before my one gets collected for the first time, but i've been filling it up with all the new items that are now accepted since i got it a few weeks ago, and it's nearly full. These new bins are great, and it's cut my normal refuse bin contents by more than half.

Carole
24-Mar-11, 17:27
Yes! And it feels so good to have somewhere to put all those plastic bottles. Hated the thought of them going to landfill.

kriklah
24-Mar-11, 18:15
as a household of six i have two normal waste bins, which i usually only need to put one out a week as i was taking all recylables (plastic/glass/cans/cardboard etc) to the yard. i was using a spare wheelie to put these in and could fill it easily in a week, so with the new timetable i was a bit concerned. with waste going out fortingihtly id be filling both bins, but would run out of space for the recycling. so i was rather pleased to get a phone call yesterday to say i was also entitled to a second blue bin!! the glass will still be put in the blue box which i can take to the bank in the village, saving me the fuel for the yard run!!

Gizmo
24-Mar-11, 18:36
as a household of six i have two normal waste bins, which i usually only need to put one out a week as i was taking all recylables (plastic/glass/cans/cardboard etc) to the yard. i was using a spare wheelie to put these in and could fill it easily in a week, so with the new timetable i was a bit concerned. with waste going out fortingihtly id be filling both bins, but would run out of space for the recycling. so i was rather pleased to get a phone call yesterday to say i was also entitled to a second blue bin!! the glass will still be put in the blue box which i can take to the bank in the village, saving me the fuel for the yard run!!

I wish the council would collect glass for recycling as i don't have transport, i still recycle all my glass items, but i have to wait until someone can take me to one of the recycling points, so i always end up with a load of bottles stored in my shed, and there's precious little room in the shed as it is. But i suppose there would probably be some health and safety regulation that prevents the council from collecting glass.

The other thing that puzzles me about what the council can and can not take for recycling is that they wont take envelopes, yet they will take shredded paper, so what's to stop people just shredding their envelopes?, is their some specific reason that they wont recycle envelopes?....maybe something to do with the glue that is used to seal them?

rumpelstiltskin
24-Mar-11, 19:31
Where does the blue bin go to get recycled or does it just get dumped at seater with the other rubish?

fender
24-Mar-11, 19:42
New blue bins go to Falkirk

Eilanboy
25-Mar-11, 16:02
New blue bins go to Falkirk

And back in time to be filled up during the next two week period

sweetpea
25-Mar-11, 16:21
I was thinking same about envelopes esp padded ones.

brandy
25-Mar-11, 16:29
mine is nearly full as well.. but i have two young boys that take turns going into the blue bin and jumping up and down to make sure its squished nicely.. and they love it!
have been amazed how much i can recycle! in this past week.. with a family of four.. a dog a cat and a bird.. (btw they have a lots of waste with food and cage changes) we have only just put out our first bag this week! i couldn't believe it! the amount of milk jugs and washing up bottles ect.. that can be recycled!!

ShelleyCowie
25-Mar-11, 16:30
My blue bin is full and has been for ages! I keep glass and my neighbour has offered (i basically just outright asked) to take it to the recycle when he goes. Im sure we are entitled to another black bin but dont need it. So no point :)

I love my blue bin though! Cardboard and plastic bottles were quite dominating so im glad to get them recycled.

brandy
25-Mar-11, 16:39
same here shelly! im putting the tins into the little blue box and any other cans and newspapers.. but any plastic and cardboard into the big blue bin

The Flea
25-Mar-11, 16:42
My bin was full last week!!