PDA

View Full Version : A Daddy's Poem

Anfield
24-Mar-11, 13:35
Saw a programme on TV a few weeks ago about how kids whose fathers had been killed in Afghanistan and the effect it had on them.

Today I received the following poem as an email attachement, and thought it very sad that even today UK soldiers are being killed in some far off land

----------------

A Daddy's Poem

Her hair was up in a pony tail,
Her favorite dress tied with a bow.
Today was Daddy's Day at school,
And she couldn't wait to go.
But her mommy tried to tell her,
That she probably should stay home.
Why the kids might not understand,
If she went to school alone.

But she was not afraid;
She knew just what to say.
What to tell her classmates
Of why he wasn't there today.
But still her mother worried,
For her to face this day alone.
And that was why once again,
She tried to keep her daughter home.

But the little girl went to school
Eager to tell them all.
About a dad she never sees
A dad who never calls.
There were daddies along the wall in back,
For everyone to meet.
Children squirming impatiently,
Anxious in their seats

One by one the teacher called
A student from the class.
To introduce their daddy,
As seconds slowly passed.
At last the teacher called her name,
Every child turned to stare.
Each of them was searching,
A man who wasn't there.

'Where's her daddy at?'
She heard a boy call out.
'She probably doesn't have one,'
Another student dared to shout.
And from somewhere near the back,
She heard a daddy say,
'Looks like another deadbeat dad,
Too busy to waste his day.'

The words did not offend her,
As she smiled up at her Mom.
And looked back at her teacher,
Who told her to go on.
And with hands behind her back,
Slowly she began to speak.
And out from the mouth of a child,
Came words incredibly unique.

'My Daddy couldn't be here,
Because he lives so far away.
But I know he wishes he could be,
Since this is such a special day.
And though you cannot meet him,
I wanted you to know.
All about my daddy,
And how much he loves me so.

He loved to tell me stories
He taught me to ride my bike.
He surprised me with pink roses,
And taught me to fly a kite.
We used to share fudge sundaes,
And ice cream in a cone.
And though you cannot see him.
I'm not standing here alone.

'Cause my daddy's always with me,
Even though we are apart
I know because he told me,
He'll forever be in my heart' file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/KEVINL%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif
With that, her little hand reached up,
And lay across her chest.
Feeling her own heartbeat,
Beneath her favorite dress. And from somewhere here in the crowd of dads,
Her mother stood in tears.
Proudly watching her daughter,
Who was wise beyond her years.

For she stood up for the love
Of a man not in her life.
Doing what was best for her,
Doing what was right.
And when she dropped her hand back down,
Staring straight into the crowd.
She finished with a voice so soft,
But its message clear and loud.

'I love my daddy very much,
he's my shining star.
And if he could, he'd be here,
But heaven's just too far.
You see he is a Brittish soldier
And died just this past year
When a roadside bomb hit his convoy
And taught Britians to fear.
But sometimes when I close my eyes,
it's like he never went away.'
And then she closed her eyes,
And saw him there that day.
And to her mothers amazement,
She witnessed with surprise.
A room full of daddies and children,
All starting to close their eyes.

Who knows what they saw before them,
Who knows what they felt inside.
Perhaps for merely a second,
They saw him at her side.
'I know you're with me Daddy,'
To the silence she called out.
And what happened next made believers,
Of those once filled with doubt.

Not one in that room could explain it,
For each of their eyes had been closed.
But there on the desk beside her,
Was a fragrant long-stemmed rose.

And a child was blessed, if only for a moment,
By the love of her shining star.
And given the gift of believing,
That heaven is never too far.

TudorRose
24-Mar-11, 13:44
Thank you for that poem, Anfield. I've just read it and before I had finished, my eyes were streaming with tears, very moving. It makes me think of all the children who will grow up without their Daddies love and guidance.

bekisman
24-Mar-11, 15:21
Oh come on Anfield; stop inserting your own words into this 'poem' - have a look at http://www.snopes.com/glurge/daddy.asp and it tells you that originally it was published a year before the 9/11 terrorist attacks by Cheryl Costello-Forshey, other people (just like you) inserted 'Fireman' - with reference to 9/11, then it was a US 'Marine'. But the basic truth was it was written about a little girl whose father died unexpectedly..
So I'm, afraid your rabid any-military plagiarism, is getting rather boring.. how about posting something, (anything?) actually original?
Oh yes, forgot, your cut and paste is 'British Soldier' not Brittish Soldier..

Walter Ego
24-Mar-11, 15:50
I feel ill......

golach
24-Mar-11, 15:56
Caught out again , will he never learn?

Anfield
24-Mar-11, 17:38
Oh come on Anfield; stop inserting your own words into this 'poem' - ..But the basic truth was it was written about a little girl whose father died unexpectedly..
So I'm, afraid your rabid any-military plagiarism, is getting rather boring.. how about posting something, (anything?) actually original?
Oh yes, forgot, your cut and paste is 'British Soldier' not Brittish Soldier..

I think you will find, if you read my post again, that I did NOT say poem was original, nor did I imply that it was.

What I did find to be "actually original" though, is that you seem to be ridiculing the sentiments contained in this poem.
I think they are very apt words for any fatherless (or motherless) child, irrespective of the occupation, race or colour involved.

What a sad world we live in..

calderj
24-Mar-11, 17:42
what a lovely poem. was in tears by the end :( xxx

Metalattakk
24-Mar-11, 17:52
I think you will find, if you read my post again, that I did NOT say poem was original, nor did I imply that it was.

What I did find to be "actually original" though, is that you seem to be ridiculing the sentiments contained in this poem.
I think they are very apt words for any fatherless (or motherless) child, irrespective of the occupation, race or colour involved.

What a sad world we live in..

That post reeks of FAIL. You got caught out altering the words to suit your own agenda, no more no less. No need to try to dress bekisman's response up as something it's not. You got fun' oot. Deal with it.

It's a quintessential example of your tactics, though.

John Little
24-Mar-11, 18:54
And taught "Britians" ?????

oldmarine
24-Mar-11, 19:06
Saw a programme on TV a few weeks ago about how kids whose fathers had been killed in Afghanistan and the effect it had on them.

Today I received the following poem as an email attachement, and thought it very sad that even today UK soldiers are being killed in some far off land

----------------

A Daddy's Poem

Her hair was up in a pony tail,
Her favorite dress tied with a bow.
Today was Daddy's Day at school,
And she couldn't wait to go.
But her mommy tried to tell her,
That she probably should stay home.
Why the kids might not understand,
If she went to school alone.

But she was not afraid;
She knew just what to say.
What to tell her classmates
Of why he wasn't there today.
But still her mother worried,
For her to face this day alone.
And that was why once again,
She tried to keep her daughter home.

But the little girl went to school
Eager to tell them all.
About a dad she never sees
A dad who never calls.
There were daddies along the wall in back,
For everyone to meet.
Children squirming impatiently,
Anxious in their seats

One by one the teacher called
A student from the class.
To introduce their daddy,
As seconds slowly passed.
At last the teacher called her name,
Every child turned to stare.
Each of them was searching,
A man who wasn't there.

'Where's her daddy at?'
She heard a boy call out.
'She probably doesn't have one,'
Another student dared to shout.
And from somewhere near the back,
She heard a daddy say,
'Looks like another deadbeat dad,
Too busy to waste his day.'

The words did not offend her,
As she smiled up at her Mom.
And looked back at her teacher,
Who told her to go on.
And with hands behind her back,
Slowly she began to speak.
And out from the mouth of a child,
Came words incredibly unique.

'My Daddy couldn't be here,
Because he lives so far away.
But I know he wishes he could be,
Since this is such a special day.
And though you cannot meet him,
I wanted you to know.
All about my daddy,
And how much he loves me so.

He loved to tell me stories
He taught me to ride my bike.
He surprised me with pink roses,
And taught me to fly a kite.
We used to share fudge sundaes,
And ice cream in a cone.
And though you cannot see him.
I'm not standing here alone.

'Cause my daddy's always with me,
Even though we are apart
I know because he told me,
He'll forever be in my heart' file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/KEVINL%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif
With that, her little hand reached up,
And lay across her chest.
Feeling her own heartbeat,
Beneath her favorite dress. And from somewhere here in the crowd of dads,
Her mother stood in tears.
Proudly watching her daughter,
Who was wise beyond her years.

For she stood up for the love
Of a man not in her life.
Doing what was best for her,
Doing what was right.
And when she dropped her hand back down,
Staring straight into the crowd.
She finished with a voice so soft,
But its message clear and loud.

he's my shining star.
And to her mothers amazement,
She witnessed with surprise.
A room full of daddies and children,
All starting to close their eyes.

Who knows what they saw before them,
Who knows what they felt inside.
Perhaps for merely a second,
They saw him at her side.
'I know you're with me Daddy,'
To the silence she called out.
And what happened next made believers,
Of those once filled with doubt.

Not one in that room could explain it,
For each of their eyes had been closed.
But there on the desk beside her,
Was a fragrant long-stemmed rose.

And a child was blessed, if only for a moment,
By the love of her shining star.
And given the gift of believing,
That heaven is never too far.

This poem brought tears to my eyes. I believe bekisman is out of line with his comments. So what if this person did plagirize (sp?) this poem from a U.S. Marine. It gets the point across and helps make my day. I remember the events from WW2 too well not to be affected by situations such as this. Get a life bekisman.

bekisman
24-Mar-11, 19:39
This poem brought tears to my eyes. I believe bekisman is out of line with his comments. So what if this person did plagirize (sp?) this poem from a U.S. Marine. It gets the point across and helps make my day. I remember the events from WW2 too well not to be affected by situations such as this. Get a life bekisman.

Sorry oldmarine - but it's got nothing to do with a 'poem from a U.S. Marine', my post pointed that out..

My whole point is I find it sick that someone (Anfield) can manipulate for his own anti-military agenda, a beautiful poem written by Cheryl Costello-Forshey. Please read this Original: http://www.all-creatures.org/poetry/daddys.html which has not been sullied by the clumsy insertion of Anfields fiction for his own misguided agenda:
As has been pointed out I am sure that Costello-Forshey would know how to spell 'Brittish' and 'Britains'..

I could take issue with your insult oldmarine. You have completely missed the point. I respect your experiences of WW2, I too experienced terrible things in my own 15 years of military service, and 11 years as a Fire fighter and saw many horrible things, but I won't tell you to 'get a life'..

golach
24-Mar-11, 20:11

Sorry Oldmarine, I am with bekisman on this one, he was no out of line, anfield is, for the blatant plagiarism, and miss use of someone elses material, for his own ends.

bekisman
24-Mar-11, 23:10
Sorry Oldmarine, I am with bekisman on this one, he was no out of line, anfield is, for the blatant plagiarism, and miss use of someone elses material, for his own ends.

Thanks for that, at least someone understood what I was writing about..

DeHaviLand
24-Mar-11, 23:36

Maybe Anfield would like to show us his written permission from the author to reproduce her work here. After all, her wishes are quite explicit "Cannot be copied or reproduced in any form without the written consent of the author. costello-forshey@1st.net (costello-forshey@1st.net) "

Bazeye
24-Mar-11, 23:48
Maybe Anfield would like to show us his written permission from the author to reproduce her work here. After all, her wishes are quite explicit "Cannot be copied or reproduced in any form without the written consent of the author. costello-forshey@1st.net (costello-forshey@1st.net) "

Better tell oldmarine as well as he quoted it.

oldmarine
25-Mar-11, 01:09
Better tell oldmarine as well as he quoted it.

Looks like I have been corrected by many posters. Oh well, can't win them all. lol!

pmcd
25-Mar-11, 01:25
Don't worry, Old Marine. Somewhere in the middle of this huge pile of teddies being thrown out of cots is a simple and poignant poem, which indeed brought a wee tear to this rheumy eye, and a general feeling which goes along the lines of:

Wars are started by politicians who have failed in diplomacy. They are then fought by people who would rather not, given the choice, but will do so principally to protect their families, their homes and their friends, and of course their extended community - or country, and what that country stands for.

No civilised citizen should ever seek to undermine the soldier, sailor, marine or airman who fights on behalf of his country.

But every citizen should question to the point of pain any politician who dares to send in the troops without good cause.

As far as plagiarism goes - Chaucer and Shakespeare used to nick whole gobbets of stuff from other writers.

What's the beef? It was a moving poem, adapted to be relevant.

Kells
25-Mar-11, 03:11
Don't worry, Old Marine. Somewhere in the middle of this huge pile of teddies being thrown out of cots is a simple and poignant poem, which indeed brought a wee tear to this rheumy eye, and a general feeling which goes along the lines of:

Wars are started by politicians who have failed in diplomacy. They are then fought by people who would rather not, given the choice, but will do so principally to protect their families, their homes and their friends, and of course their extended community - or country, and what that country stands for.

No civilised citizen should ever seek to undermine the soldier, sailor, marine or airman who fights on behalf of his country.

But every citizen should question to the point of pain any politician who dares to send in the troops without good cause.

As far as plagiarism goes - Chaucer and Shakespeare used to nick whole gobbets of stuff from other writers.

Interesting that you compare anfield in any way to Chaucer and Shakespeare, well perhaps more amusing than interesting but that does not make it right to steal others work alter it and then post it on a public forum.

Walter Ego
25-Mar-11, 08:40

The beef is to me that it is mawkish and is an insult to anyones intelligence who has the remotest understanding of the military mindset.

Heartstring tugging 'pity' writing is ugly, no matter how it is wrapped up. But even more so when it is cynically mutilated and churned out to suit someones own agenda. And that's not a dig at Anfield, crap like this is spewed out all the time over the internet.

Think of all the poor blind kittens in the world and have a good cry.......that's the level this is at.

pmcd
25-Mar-11, 10:58
Agree to differ. There's room on the planet for you hard guys who don't do sentiment - and also for those who do. I guess I was brought up on "He's the little boy that Santa Claus forgot" and its like, and it didn't seem unmanly then to wield the Kleenex, and it doesn't today.

Just look at the obituary poems in the "Press and Journal". They sure as hell ain't great poetry, but they seem to fit the bill and hit the mark. They clearly give comfort - why knock 'em?

Unless you can't abide people having feelings you are not capable of being privy to, or of sharing. Now THAT would be unsettling.

bekisman
25-Mar-11, 11:10
Agree to differ. There's room on the planet for you hard guys who don't do sentiment - and also for those who do. I guess I was brought up on "He's the little boy that Santa Claus forgot" and its like, and it didn't seem unmanly then to wield the Kleenex, and it doesn't today.

Just look at the obituary poems in the "Press and Journal". They sure as hell ain't great poetry, but they seem to fit the bill and hit the mark. They clearly give comfort - why knock 'em?

Unless you can't abide people having feelings you are not capable of being privy to, or of sharing. Now THAT would be unsettling.
Bit insulting that is; "hard guys who don't do sentiment" - I've cried my eyes out witnessing tragic, sad things. You might have missed it, but in my post #11 I mentioned it was 'a beautiful poem'..
No one is 'knocking em' - I have no objection whatsoever to that 10 year old poem, my gripe is that it had four badly written lines inserted between existing lines, that were never, ever, there, lines that were inserted by someone with an agenda of knocking our forces

It seems no matter how detailed I try to explain, the point is still missed. Now that is sad.

pmcd
25-Mar-11, 11:25
Apologies Bekisman! See where you're coming from now. Hadn't quite realised that your point of contention centred around an antithesis to the author of the poetic intrusion, rather than the fact that he mis-spelt a couple of words and broke the scansion of the original.

John Little
25-Mar-11, 12:45
I agree with Bekisman 100% and always understood what he was saying.

bekisman
25-Mar-11, 13:07
I agree with Bekisman 100% and always understood what he was saying.

By Gad Sir, that's nice ;)

northener
25-Mar-11, 13:17

Well, I'm an ex-Forces bod who has been in action...but I don't believe that makes me some 'hard guy who doesn't do sentiment' though. Yet I still find these poems to be dire.

Unfortunately, one of the by-products of the internet is the ability for anyone to churn out anything and present it to the masses - doesn't make it any good though.
How many comparative crude, sentimental and heartstring-pulling poems were published during and after WW1 and 2? None, I'd wager. because only those of worth made it.

I personally find it over sentimental and mawkish. I'd sooner read something by Vera Brittain anyday.

But each to their own.

pmcd
25-Mar-11, 14:26
"How many comparative crude, sentimental and heartstring-pulling poems were published during and after WW1 and 2? None, I'd wager!"

I'll take your wager, sir!

There is abundant evidence ON FILM WITH SOUND of many hundreds - if not thousands - of World War Two troops both about to embark, on R&R, or in theatre, singing along with gusto at the bidding of a London girl sent out by High Command to entertain them and lift their spirits. Many of these troops were extremely roughy toughy soldiers - the kind who still today on BFBS Radio ask for sentimental, soppy (and yes, occasionally mawkish) songs for their loved ones back home.

This evidence? I quote:

"The shepherd will tend his sheep
The valley will bloom again
And Jimmy will go to sleep
In his own little room again

Therell be bluebirds over
The white cliffs of Dover
Tomorrow
Just you wait and see"

Soft as a pointless cuddly kitten. But it seems to have raised morale. Hitler had the "Horst Wessel Lied", and "Wir Fahren Gegen England". We had Vera Lynn, and little Johnny.

And the song remains as a continuing reminder of those days.

northener
25-Mar-11, 15:43
"How many comparative crude, sentimental and heartstring-pulling poems were published during and after WW1 and 2? None, I'd wager!"

I'll take your wager, sir!

There is abundant evidence ON FILM WITH SOUND of many hundreds - if not thousands - of World War Two troops both about to embark, on R&R, or in theatre, singing along with gusto at the bidding of a London girl sent out by High Command to entertain them and lift their spirits. Many of these troops were extremely roughy toughy soldiers - the kind who still today on BFBS Radio ask for sentimental, soppy (and yes, occasionally mawkish) songs for their loved ones back home.

This evidence? I quote:

"The shepherd will tend his sheep
The valley will bloom again
And Jimmy will go to sleep
In his own little room again

Therell be bluebirds over
The white cliffs of Dover
Tomorrow
Just you wait and see"

Soft as a pointless cuddly kitten. But it seems to have raised morale. Hitler had the "Horst Wessel Lied", and "Wir Fahren Gegen England". We had Vera Lynn, and little Johnny.

And the song remains as a continuing reminder of those days.

Comparitively not as mawkish and crude as the OP's poem.

My money remains safe.;)

pmcd
25-Mar-11, 17:17
Mawkishness is in the oesophagus of the peruser. What WAS I thinking of - attempting to belittle a Dame of the British Empire!

On balance, though, you're right, Northerner. By and large we do write better doggerel than the Yanks. I wouldn't dream of claiming your money, anyway!

(If I knew where to find "smilies", I'd do one which conveyed agreeable acquiescence with just a smidgin of poignancy at not having quite made my point well.)

northener
25-Mar-11, 17:32
When you click on 'Reply to Thread', click on 'Go Advanced' before you hit post:Razz

oldmarine
26-Mar-11, 18:13

I apologize to bekisman and others for this comment. I really was touched by this poem not realizing the impact it had on others who also posted on this thread.

bekisman
26-Mar-11, 18:26
I apologize to bekisman and others for this comment. I really was touched by this poem not realizing the impact it had on others who also posted on this thread.
Much appreciated oldmarine, from one old(ish) soldier* to another; thanks ;)

(Well I was with 59 Commando)

AND I'm really pleased as Oxford won!

orkneycadian
27-Mar-11, 11:54
Since when in this country have children of British soldiers referred to the maternal parent as "Mom" or Mommy"? [lol]

Unions of British men and American women perhaps excepted, but I suspect that is rather unlikely in this case!

tonkatojo
27-Mar-11, 13:58
AND I'm really pleased as Oxford won!

I had a tenner on them, did you beks ?.;)

Anfield
28-Mar-11, 10:59
Bekisman, when you retired from Fire Brigade did you keep any of your old ladders? If so may I suggest you use them to extricate yourself (and others) from yet another hole you have dug yourself into:
You state:

”Oh come on Anfield; stop inserting your own words into this 'poem'” and “..other people (just like you)..”

And then egged on by that master wordsmith..

Caught out again , will he never learn?

Not to be left out of this feeding frenzy Metalattakk commented:

“..You got caught out altering the words to suit your own agenda, no more no less. No need to try to dress bekisman's response up as something it's not. You got fun' oot. Deal with it.

One poster even thought that poem was “crude”

Comparitively not as mawkish and crude as the OP's poem.

I even gave you the opportunity of reading my original post again to check what I actually wrote, but no bit between your teeth you blabbered on in another post..

My whole point is I find it sick that someone (Anfield) can manipulate for his own anti-military agenda , a beautiful poem written by Cheryl Costello-Forshey. Please read this Original:
http://www.all-creatures.org/poetry/daddys.html which has not been sullied by the clumsy insertion of Anfields fiction for his own misguided agenda:

So there you have it, you, and others, are convinced that I “doctored” this poem to add to a “hidden agenda” that I am supposed to have..
But, before condemning me as guilty, lets us go over a few things.
In your profile you describe yourself as a “Freelance investigative Journalist”, so I would have thought that you would have at least had the intelligence and resources to double check your evidence before presenting it as facts.

I did a simple google search on the poem in question, including spelling mistakes, and found that it was in circulation as far back as November 2009 http://www.wiltshirebikers.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1258619263/2

So I think this disproves your argument that I was guilty of “inserting your own words” or that I “..got caught out altering the words to suit your own agenda..”

When I first read this post, and saw a word of more than one syllable I thought that Golach had been taking private English lessons, then I read the rest of his post.

Metalattakk
28-Mar-11, 17:12
Ah right Anfield, so what you're saying is "It wisna me! A big boy did it and ran away!"

Or is it the fact that you knew exactly what you were posting, and knew what the connotations of the 'added' lines were?

I was right all along - you've used this altered poem to push your own agenda. And for that, you should shoulder some responsibility instead of trying to wriggle out of it all.

bekisman
28-Mar-11, 19:37
By Jove Anfield, your busy with the multi-quotes!
Noticed the one below your link: "American piece of crap".. I have my own thoughts on this of course..

But really Anfield, please read my posts, I patiently point out that time and time again, this 'poem' has always had nothing to do with "Brittish soldiers" OR "Marines" OR "Fire Fighters" .

Anyway (sigh) It has been hijacked by all and sundry for their own, uses, fetishes, twisted agenda; whatever.. As I mentioned it's a poem written in 2000, it's interesting to note that's it's been altered so many times as a 'fits all' bit of prose, which, one must concede, is a sad misuse of this copyrighted material.. Obviously Anfield, you first checked to see if it was copyrighted?

Sadly you did not, and have continued the perpetuation in this misuse - surely you must have compared the original with your version you magically came across?
No? Come on Anfield - by the simple expedient of your 'copying' a false version - you too have fallen into the trap; how sad..

I am disappointed in you Anfield; fair enough I know you get very animated and quasi-hysterical with your posts, but please, your words "at least had the intelligence" is rather mean, and naughty - tut tut, but not all together unexpected..

Bottom line, you googled and found a version that fitted your usual anti-military bias perfectly, and now you are squealing "It ain't me Sir - honest"..
Here's my 'insertion, apologies to the author;:

he's my shining star.
You see he's a Police Officer
and tried this whole past year
to save the lives of innocents
and ceased Londoner's to fear

Having me tea now (chickpea curry!!)

Anfield
29-Mar-11, 09:58
Ah right Anfield, so what you're saying is "It wisna me! A big boy did it and ran away!"
Or is it the fact that you knew exactly what you were posting, and knew what the connotations of the 'added' lines were?
I was right all along - you've used this altered poem to push your own agenda. And for that, you should shoulder some responsibility instead of trying to wriggle out of it all.
Me wriggle out of it? Check your post No.#8 and this one and I think you will find it is you who has done a 180 degree turn i.e. first of all it was me who altered poem and now you are conceding that it was not me.

Bekisman, stop digging yourself into an ever increasing hole, the Southern Hemisphere has enough on its plate without you adding to it.

FACT (1) You accused me of "inserting your own words into this 'poem"
FACT (2) I proved this to be untrue.

Now show some dignity and walk away.
p.s talking about copyright, is that the reason that you have stopped using Churchill quotes in your profile? - No reply needed

The Drunken Duck
29-Mar-11, 11:46
Seriously gents .. Who cares.

That "poem" is the kind of drivel that most civvies think makes them feel connected, like those god awful "Millies" we see on the TV, the stupid "soldier on guard" poem that appears every Xmas and the hard core grief whores who make the trip to Wooton Bassett for nearly every repatration to weep and wail at the coffins of people they never knew. All this media driven maudlin piffle became popular after Princess Di's death. If you genuinely care about those left behind pop a few quid in a Forces charity tin,they could seriously use the help these days. It means more than useless platitudes. If you want to understand the effects of a service father/son/husband/daughter/mother etc dying then watch all twenty parts of "The Fallen" on Youtube and see for yourself .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyzLr9m1DPs&feature=related .. it is well worth a watch and tells the stories behind the headlines and punchlines without resorting to this vomit inducing second rate Hallmark rubbish.

If you want an accurate poem on the subject though there is always this classic by Rudyard Kipling, as true today as it always was .. http://faxmentis.org/html/kipling.html

bekisman
29-Mar-11, 12:17
You are really being pedantic over all this Anfield - my whole point of this discussion was that you alter/insert into threads your manic anti-war doctrine - let alone your oft mentioned mistakes. i.e. your total confusion over NATO/UN, your assertion that no Animal Rights Activists had released Mink in UK, proved totally incorrect, need I go on?

But being a rather upright and honest chap, I do concede that my reference to you inserting your own words into that particular prose was incorrect, alas my post that you insert anti-military items into your threads for your own means is also correct

However, there may well be Org members, who are unaware of your anti-military intolerances, so 'fraid just done a quick perusal of just one thread; your Afghan thread (which now appears locked for some reason?)..

I apologise for my mistake (which was corrected) in stating that UN forces were there rather than NATO.
8,000 more Afghanistan's are going to become casualties in this unjust war.
And I will repeat the phrase, gung ho allied bombing, by the sale of its oil.
Inevitably they will soon be replaced by more canon fodder.
Is this another attempt at the sanitisation of a dirty & illegal war.
People who want to continue this unjust and illegal war.
The term canon fodder & collateral damage are interchangeable in this carnage.
End War Now
This is a war that is unwinnable, illegal and wrong
Bekisman: Anfield you say you are a 'Pacifist': antiwar demonstrator, conscientious objector, dove, passive resister, peacemaker, peacemonger, peacenik whch one are you?
Anfield: All of them.
If our Government had not entered this illegal war
We should also not forget the horrendous number of Afghan civillians who have also perished in this dirty war
Just imagine how lond it would have been if ALL casualities of this illegal and immoral war was listed
The "football match" of WW1 showed that the everyday soldiers of both sides did not want to fight, they were ordered to.
Bekisman: "..But been an interesting week; Was there when an old friend passed on, and a few minutes ago learnt I'm a granddad again.."
Anfield:Congratulations, have you registered child for a regiment yet?
How many more before we end this senseless slaughter by all sides in this illegal war
But we are digressing away from the main line of thought in this thread, in that people of all religions and race are dying in this illegal and amoral carnage
So at least another 15 lives are added to the massive carnage taking place in Afghanistan
I feel so sad for you being the type of person being able to "lighten up" whilst this carnage is taking place,
As I type this, I am reading about the 268th UK soldier to have died in this war. Coward, or Sheep to the slaughter, I know what I would prefer to be,
When will this carnage end?
Do you not think that Soldiers (on both sides) are responsible for causing the horror of war in first place?
Hands up time first, yes I did get mixed up with UN/NATO
Let us hope that his other two brothers are not to become further casualties of this illegal war.
Brown continues to send UK soldiers to their deaths
Why does it make you uncomfortable to be reminded that UK soldiers are being killed in an illegal war.
I think you will also find that you were the first on this thread to use a photo, and what photo did you use, yes the cockpit of a killing machine. [Aircraft]
Other than pointing out that an awful lot of British soldiers are being killed in an illegal war
All I want is the end of an illegal war, a stance which an awful lot of people support both here and throughout the world
Seems to me that an awful lot of .org users are unaware that this country is involved in an illegal war
the civilian populations of Iraq & Afghanistan are suffering horrific casualty rates as a result of an illegal war.

Oh yes must not forget the pacifist poem "P.F.C. Mannie Stein",

You must realise Anfield that I have no objection that you are a pacifist, you mock the Great War as a 'football match' - my grandfather was killed in that war.. You on the other hand are quite willing to let others die on your behalf - an attitude I find harder to stomach, I have a certain respect for the Conchies in that War, at least they carried out a most dangerous duty of stretcher bearer, their conscience forbade them to bear arms. On the other hand, you my friend, feel free to belittle and mock others who do have the temerity to fight oppression - in all it's forms. I have very little respect for those who snipe from the sidelines..

Re your dig at the Greatest Briton that ever lived: Winston Churchill, I did post a great number of his quotes as my signature, alas the remaining quotes I would have loved to post, but were too long, and one can be forgiven for not - as you seem to do - fiddling with the words or intention of this great man.
The Quotes I post are as originals - a procedure you should try some time?
So come on Anfield, your initial post had anti-military objectives, nothing more, nothing less, so accept it..

northener
29-Mar-11, 13:37
One poster even thought that poem was “crude”

Yes. It is crude compared to work by people like Vera Brittain. It's also mawkish and over sentimental. Try reading some of her stuff.

My opinion seems to bother you for some reason?

orkneycadian
29-Mar-11, 13:47
All this sounds like a discussion on Literature

Thought there was a Literature section on here?

pmcd
29-Mar-11, 14:08
Nothing to do with literature. It divides into 2 parts -

a) A massive put down on "Anfield" for some opinions offered in other contexts and indeed other threads.

b) A huge critical put-down on sentimental verse, as opposed to genuine "grown up" poetry.

There are some sub plots:

c) Whether being anti-war means you should equally be anti-military

d) Who has the right to decide what is mawkish and what is uplifting, given a piece of "mawkish" verse appears to have been popular enough to be copied a lot by many people who got some measure of comfort from it.

All of this is accompanied by much point-scoring. Plenty of heat, but little illumination.

Somewhere in the distance, the sight of tumbleweed rolling across the plain.......

northener
29-Mar-11, 14:41

d) Who has the right to decide what is mawkish and what is uplifting, given a piece of "mawkish" verse appears to have been popular enough to be copied a lot by many people who got some measure of comfort from it.

Which begs the question is all painting 'art'?

If I paint my fence, I am painting. But it certainly ain't 'Art'. Even though it looks nice.

Likewise, if I put some doggerel online, does it make it 'literature' because it may attract a following?

Mill & Boon? Literature to some, harmless (if rather mindless) entertainment to others and hilariously bad writing to a few.

One of the most talented and well know lyricists of the C20th, a man who's out put would shame, Lennon, McCartney and them other lot was Red Sovine.

"Who?" I hear you cry?

Well, he's the man who brought us this amazing piece of writing and songsmithing that was lapped up by millions in it's day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zoTLwrm9QE

To some, a tale of true love and brotherhood overcoming personal adversity and suffering.

To me? Over sentimental, mawkish crap.

Just like the 'poem'........:cool:

DeHaviLand
29-Mar-11, 15:50
I cant believe you made me listen to that northener! i'm just grateful I'm not having to listen to the other 19 on that album.

John Little
29-Mar-11, 16:08
Oh Mae ai!

Ah just felt a wave of nausea come all over mah heid!

Walter Ego
29-Mar-11, 16:11
Aiieeee! My ears, my ears!

:lol:

bekisman
29-Mar-11, 16:46
Hmm..
Try this one; Roy Orbison - an anti-war song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRvHZZMZsn8 always remember it; was serving in Aden in 1966 when 'Frenchy' Stewarts wife requested it for her husband.. very sad; considering death was all around - we were all shocked into silence when it was played on the radio for him..

Nah, got his leg pulled for months!

pmcd
29-Mar-11, 16:53
I HATE to do this to you. You will need a large enamel bucket, and some bags in which up to throw. You guys don't even KNOW what "mawkish" is -I give you Pat Campbell - and "The Deal"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lqxAWHbsDs

bekisman
29-Mar-11, 17:02
I HATE to do this to you. You will need a large enamel bucket, and some bags in which up to throw. You guys don't even KNOW what "mawkish" is -I give you Pat Campbell - and "The Deal"

You'll need more than a bucket for that one! ;)

Anfield
29-Mar-11, 17:10
“..I do concede that my reference to you inserting your own words into that particular prose was incorrect,.”
At first I thought that at last we are getting somewhere, but then.

“..alas my post that you insert anti-military items into your threads for your own means is also correct..”
“..So come on Anfield, your initial post had anti-military objectives, nothing more, nothing less, so accept it…”
What possible “anti-military” inference can you make from my OP, which I reproduce below:
“Saw a programme on TV a few weeks ago about how kids whose fathers had been killed in Afghanistan and the effect it had on them.
Today I received the following poem as an email attachment, and thought it very sad that even today UK soldiers are being killed in some far off land..”

“..To me? Over sentimental, mawkish crap.
Just like the 'poem'........”

I take it you did not get that job at Times Literary Supplement

bekisman
29-Mar-11, 17:12
At first I thought that at last we are getting somewhere, but then.

What possible “anti-military” inference can you make from my OP, which I reproduce below:
“Saw a programme on TV a few weeks ago about how kids whose fathers had been killed in Afghanistan and the effect it had on them.
Today I received the following poem as an email attachment, and thought it very sad that even today UK soldiers are being killed in some far off land..”

Come on Anfield, play #47 - you'll love it!

northener
29-Mar-11, 17:29

The Times Literary Suppliment, old chap.:Razz

Anyway, it's too lowbrow fer me.

Seriously though, I like me poetry. But I don't rate poetry on those lines any more than I'd rate Red Sovines contribution to the world of music. Popularity doesn't equate to quality IMO.

(We need a throw up smiley).

pmcd
29-Mar-11, 17:38
Who needs quality, quantity, genuine feeling or sentiment, when you have sturdy, fine, robust and universally acknowledged Scottish poetry?

"It must have been an awful sight,
To witness in the dusky moonlight,
While the Storm Fiend did laugh, and angry did bray,
Along the Railway Bridge of the Silv'ry Tay,
Oh! ill-fated Bridge of the Silv'ry Tay,
I must now conclude my lay
By telling the world fearlessly without the least dismay,
That your central girders would not have given way,
At least many sensible men do say,
Had they been supported on each side with buttresses,
At least many sensible men confesses,
For the stronger we our houses do build,
The less chance we have of being killed."

Pass me my mawk........

northener
29-Mar-11, 18:16
Who needs quality, quantity, genuine feeling or sentiment, when you have sturdy, fine, robust and universally acknowledged Scottish poetry?

"It must have been an awful sight,
To witness in the dusky moonlight,
While the Storm Fiend did laugh, and angry did bray,
Along the Railway Bridge of the Silv'ry Tay,
Oh! ill-fated Bridge of the Silv'ry Tay,
I must now conclude my lay
By telling the world fearlessly without the least dismay,
That your central girders would not have given way,
At least many sensible men do say,
Had they been supported on each side with buttresses,
At least many sensible men confesses,
For the stronger we our houses do build,
The less chance we have of being killed."

Pass me my mawk........

Auld Topaz himself, eh?:Razz

Anfield
29-Mar-11, 18:22
My nomination for best anti-war song is "I Feel Like I'm Fixing To Die Rag (http://forum.caithness.org/I%20Feel%20Like%20I%27m%20Fixing%20To%20Die%20Rag)" by Country Joe McDonald

Yeah, come on all of you, big strong men,
Uncle Sam needs your help again.
He's got himself in a terrible jam
Way down yonder in Vietnam
So put down your books and pick up a gun,
We're gonna have a whole lotta fun.
And it's one, two, three,
What are we fighting for ?
Don't ask me, I don't give a damn,
Next stop is Vietnam;
And it's five, six, seven,
Open up the pearly gates,
Well there ain't no time to wonder why,
Whoopee! we're all gonna die.
Well, come on generals, let's move fast;
Your big chance has come at last.
Gotta go out and get those reds —
The only good commie is the one who's dead
And you know that peace can only be won
When we've blown 'em all to kingdom come.
Next stop is Vietnam;
Well there ain't no time to wonder why
Huh!
Well, come on Wall Street, don't move slow,
Why man, this is war au-go-go.
There's plenty good money to be made
By supplying the Army with the tools of the trade,
Just hope and pray that if they drop the bomb,
They drop it on the Viet Cong.
Next stop is Vietnam.
Well, come on mothers throughout the land,
Pack your boys off to Vietnam.
Come on fathers, don't hesitate,
Send 'em off before it's too late.
Be the first one on your block
To have your boy come home in a box.
And it's one, two, three
Next stop is Vietnam.

bekisman
29-Mar-11, 18:39
Is that the one that goes like the tune "Old MacDonald Had a Farm"?

DeHaviLand
29-Mar-11, 19:32

This thread has taken a sinister turn !

Anfield
29-Mar-11, 19:49
Is that the one that goes like the tune "Old MacDonald Had a Farm"?

Well what you should do is to get your wife to whistle/hum the tune of "Old MacDonald Had a Farm" and you sing the lyrics below:

My nomination for best anti-war song is "I Feel Like I'm Fixing To Die Rag (http://forum.caithness.org/I%20Feel%20Like%20I%27m%20Fixing%20To%20Die%20Rag)" by Country Joe McDonald

Yeah, come on all of you, big strong men,
Uncle Sam needs your help again.
He's got himself in a terrible jam
Way down yonder in Vietnam
So put down your books and pick up a gun,
We're gonna have a whole lotta fun.
Next stop is Vietnam;
Well, come on generals, let's move fast;
Your big chance has come at last.
Gotta go out and get those reds —
The only good commie is the one who's dead
And you know that peace can only be won
When we've blown 'em all to kingdom come.
Next stop is Vietnam;
Huh!
Well, come on Wall Street, don't move slow,
Why man, this is war au-go-go.
There's plenty good money to be made
By supplying the Army with the tools of the trade,
Just hope and pray that if they drop the bomb,
They drop it on the Viet Cong.
Next stop is Vietnam.
Well, come on mothers throughout the land,
Pack your boys off to Vietnam.
Come on fathers, don't hesitate,
Send 'em off before it's too late.
Be the first one on your block
To have your boy come home in a box.
And it's one, two, three
Next stop is Vietnam.

Anfield
29-Mar-11, 19:50
This thread has taken a sinister turn !

Yes, You have just made a post.

DeHaviLand
29-Mar-11, 22:20
Yes, You have just made a post.

Way to go Anfield, reinforce your idiocy.

Anfield
30-Mar-11, 12:55
Forgot about this one from Bob Dylan:

Masters Of War

Come you masters of war
You that build the big guns
You that build the death planes
You that build all the bombs
You that hide behind walls
You that hide behind desks
I just want you to know
I can see through your masks.

You that never done nothin'
But build to destroy
You play with my world
Like it's your little toy
You put a gun in my hand
And you hide from my eyes
And you turn and run farther
When the fast bullets fly.

Like Judas of old
You lie and deceive
A world war can be won
You want me to believe
But I see through your eyes
And I see through your brain
Like I see through the water
That runs down my drain.

You fasten all the triggers
For the others to fire
Then you set back and watch
When the death count gets higher
You hide in your mansion'
As young people's blood
Flows out of their bodies
And is buried in the mud.

You've thrown the worst fear
That can ever be hurled
Fear to bring children
Into the world
For threatening my baby
Unborn and unnamed
You ain't worth the blood
That runs in your veins.

How much do I know
To talk out of turn
You might say that I'm young
You might say I'm unlearned
But there's one thing I know
Though I'm younger than you
That even Jesus would never
Forgive what you do.

Let me ask you one question
Is your money that good
Will it buy you forgiveness
Do you think that it could
I think you will find
When your death takes its toll
All the money you made
Will never buy back your soul.

And I hope that you die
And your death'll come soon
I will follow your casket
In the pale afternoon
And I'll watch while you're lowered
Down to your deathbed
And I'll stand over your grave
'Til I'm sure that you're dead.

bekisman
30-Mar-11, 14:16
"Forgot about this one from Bob Dylan" ? thought you'd have 'em tattooed on your...arm

Shabbychic
30-Mar-11, 14:38
WoooHooo, can I join in??

This one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyNLN-cKsp8&feature=related) says it all to me.

Then there's this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqok5m4lqeE&feature=related).

...but for all our Scottish Brothers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXdS34dxS0k&feature=related).

In the words of Buffy Saint Marie, "......... and bring our brothers home".

Anfield
30-Mar-11, 15:53
"Forgot about this one from Bob Dylan" ? thought you'd have 'em tattooed on your...arm

No Bekisman, that is in my heart, next to the crest of Liverpool Football Club.
This one (which I am sure I have posted before) is on my arm,

Moratorium by Bufy Saint Marie

Captain Collier came home, he's been fighting the war
And I guess he thought he'd be hailed as a hero and more
And he walked down the streets of the old home town
And he saw how it is around here now

Now Captain Collier had to call
far too many girls for a date that night
All the girls had gone out
with their long haired boys. Captain Collier, he cried
"What the hell have I been fighting for?"
Oh, Captain it's for you
We wanna bring you home
We wanna hold you in our arms
Come back and keep us warm.

P.F.C. Mannie Stein,
Had been drafted and gone
He'd been told that only cowards say no.
He came home and called some old friends,
They'd resisted the draft
And they both were in prison
And their wives and their kids
Were all skinny and having a bad time
And P.F.C Stein
He remembered the men
Called political prisoners you know where and when.

And he learned that the lines are tapped all the time now
And he's wondering if maybe his courage is needed at home now
Yes soldier we're afraid
We're not just bein' fools
We're gassed and beaten here at home
We've got to change the rules

Corp'ral Thomas McCann
Is a three year marine.
Someone told him he'd better join up,
It would would make him a man.
He came home and to the park he went
And he sat down on a bench

And a dungaree girl told him he'd been a man all along
And he looked at the sign that she carried in her hand.
It said "Stop the war and bring our brothers home"
And corp'ral McCann he looks into her eyes
And I believe that he's begun to understand

Oh soldier, It's for you
We formed our little bands
The politicians and the magazines
They just don't understand.
Yes, soldier it's for you
We're riskin' all we have
We're nailed and jailed the same as you
Our lives are up for grabs
Yes soldier it's for you
We want to bring you home
Her bring our brother home, (repeat)

(The line "It said Stop The War.." has been changed to keep within Forum rules
A good video for song is located here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpz_nIR0AWE)

northener
30-Mar-11, 16:29
No Bekisman, that is in my heart, next to the crest of Liverpool Football Club.
This one (which I am sure I have posted before) is on my arm,

Moratorium by Bufy Saint Marie

Captain Collier came home, he's been fighting the war
And I guess he thought he'd be hailed as a hero and more
And he walked down the streets of the old home town
And he saw how it is around here now

Now Captain Collier had to call
far too many girls for a date that night
All the girls had gone out
with their long haired boys. Captain Collier, he cried
"What the hell have I been fighting for?"
Oh, Captain it's for you
We wanna bring you home

P.F.C. Mannie Stein,
Had been drafted and gone
He'd been told that only cowards say no.
He came home and called some old friends,
They'd resisted the draft
And they both were in prison
And their wives and their kids
Were all skinny and having a bad time
And P.F.C Stein
He remembered the men
Called political prisoners you know where and when.

And he learned that the lines are tapped all the time now
And he's wondering if maybe his courage is needed at home now
Yes soldier we're afraid
We're not just bein' fools
We're gassed and beaten here at home
We've got to change the rules

Corp'ral Thomas McCann
Is a three year marine.
Someone told him he'd better join up,
It would would make him a man.
He came home and to the park he went
And he sat down on a bench

And a dungaree girl told him he'd been a man all along
And he looked at the sign that she carried in her hand.
It said "Stop the war and bring our brothers home"
And corp'ral McCann he looks into her eyes
And I believe that he's begun to understand

Oh soldier, It's for you
We formed our little bands
The politicians and the magazines
They just don't understand.
Yes, soldier it's for you
We're riskin' all we have
We're nailed and jailed the same as you
Our lives are up for grabs
Yes soldier it's for you
We want to bring you home
Her bring our brother home, (repeat)

(The line "It said Stop The War.." has been changed to keep within Forum rules
A good video for song is located here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpz_nIR0AWE)

Now that is more like it. Pretty good.

golach
30-Mar-11, 16:46
This to me is a far better song and tune

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NXFCDgyanA

golach
30-Mar-11, 19:21
I Like this too

O flower of Scotland
When will we see your like again
That fought and died for
Your wee bit hill and glen
And stood against him
Proud Edward's army
And sent him homeward
Tae think again

The hills are bare now
And autumn leaves lie thick and still
O'er land that is lost now
Which those so dearly held
And stood against him
Proud Edward's army
And sent him homeward
Tae think again

Those days are passed now
And in the past they must remain
But we can still rise now
And be the nation again
That stood against him
Proud Edward's army
And sent him homeward
Tae think again

pmcd
30-Mar-11, 19:52
As an Irishman by heritage (we gave you the bagpipes as a joke: you haven't got it yet!) there is something in the great Celtic tradition which worries me. The superb Scottish National Anthem "Flower of Scotland" is a magnificent and rousing song, albeit a comparatively recent composition, and scored originally for guitars, rather than the pipes. But have you noticed that when it comes to the phrase

"Tae think again"

the bagpipes cannot hit the exact note in the song, and have to aim for the nearest one available. When you have the crowd singing at the stadium, the first verse (with pipes) always jars as the people sing the right note, and the pipes play "as close as they can". In the second verse - no pipes, and the phrase rings true.

Never expose a problem without suggesting a solution. So how about this - maybe an extra hole/drone to allow the correct note to be played?

Or have I just committed a hanging offence?