PDA

View Full Version : Red spider mite

porshiepoo
23-Mar-11, 18:04
I've never dealt with this pest before but I recently got some fruit trees in pots and stupidly never quarantined them first. A chance neb at the pear tree buds showed loads of orange mites which I've since identified as Red spider mite in its inactive state (thankfully).

Does anyone know of any homemade solutions that may help to kill them off as I'd rather not resort to chemicals?
I'll get some live predators if I can't control the infestation but I'm hoping I can spray it as it seems confined to the one tree at the moment.

Any ideas?

muffin
25-Mar-11, 09:49
I got rid of spider mites by covering the plant with a large clear plastic bag and spraying the inside with soapy water a couple of times. They also attack weak plants so it is a good idea to check plants for water, I use a moisture meter which makes it really easy to keep plants moist without overwatering, and keep the plants well fed. You can make your own feed by soaking some sheep poos in water, preferably rainwater.

porshiepoo
25-Mar-11, 12:36
Thanks for that.

What I did over the last few days was made up a solution of water, detergent (small amount) and sunflower oil. I sprayed the plants with the solution a few times and fingers crossed they appear to have at least reduced drastically if not gone altogether. I also opened the pT doors up day and night to reduce the temperature in there and kept em well watered.
Hopefully that's the last of them.