PDA

View Full Version : carpal tunnel

Doreen
23-Mar-11, 10:10
Just had surgery done at Raigmore yesterday for carpel tunnel surgery which is a minor op but i have not slept a wink my fingers is twice there size and the pain is unreal if anyone has had the op did you have the same problem i know there will be some swelling and pain but am just curious how long it lasts i know its a very common thing especially in women.

Kodiak
23-Mar-11, 12:56
Your first port of call for to get correct information is your Doctor. Go and see him/her and they will be able to answer all your questions.

Doreen
23-Mar-11, 13:04
Thanks Kodiak dont want to waste docs time just wanted to know if other people had the same pain and swelling after it.

Liz
23-Mar-11, 14:03
Sorry you are in so much pain after surgery Doreen but this is quite normal. http://carpal-tunnel.emedtv.com/carpal-tunnel-surgery/pain-after-carpal-tunnel-surgery.html My neighbour had this op and she was in pain after it and her hand was swollen. I can't remember how long it lasted but then I suppose it will vary from patient to patient anyway.

Have you been given painkillers? If not, get in touch with your Dr to get some.

Hope you feel better soon.

neepnipper
23-Mar-11, 14:44
My sister has had a terrible time with this, she had it done and they completely messed it up (wasn't done up here), a month later she had to have it done again to fix what they messed up the first time and it's still not right, she's in a lot of pain and her fingers are swollen and she can't use her arm at all.
Hope yours has gone better and hope you have a speedy recovery.

squidge
23-Mar-11, 16:31
Doreen I have had both my hands done in the last two years at raigmore. Initially the swelling was quite bad and sore but it quickly settled and I was right as rain in about a week. Now my hands are a million times better although don't have a lot of strength. I did have carpal tunnel for twenty years tho!

If you are worried then see your gp. You have just had an op so you aren't wasting their time

Doreen
23-Mar-11, 16:52
Thank you squidge for your reply i just got one done yesterday and it has been a long night and day due to get the other hand done soon but was having second thoughts did not realize the pain would be so bad but if it takes a week and it worked for you that itself has made me feel better maybe its just time i need now for the healing Thank you

Thursolass
23-Mar-11, 16:59
I had both my hands done about ten years ago, no swelling though or much pain either. Everyone is different so if you are the least bit worried best call the Dr, that's what they're there for you're not wasting their time at all. Mine was done in the US and I had suffered for years before I got it fixed. I wish i'd had it seen earlier but I thought it wasn't important. Only when I had trouble driving did I get something done. Best of luck to you, hope you feel better soon.