PDA

View Full Version : shopping around?

Dadie
22-Mar-11, 23:52
Do you shop around to get the best price for the things you want?
I am looking for a captains bed for the littlest one and was really surprised with the price differences there are out there!
I finally found a bed I liked for him...then I started comparing prices..the cheapest so far is £109.99 for the bed with Del at up to £69.99 (will have to phone to check)
but the dearest I thought was ok until I shopped around was £399 for the bed and £40 for del!
Didnt think there would be such a difference in the mark ups on the same product(or postage) but there is a huge difference and the savings I will make will make a difference to me.

theone
22-Mar-11, 23:57
I always shop around for big purchases.

Google shopping can normally set you in the right direction.

shazzap
23-Mar-11, 00:05
In a word YES. :)

Vistravi
23-Mar-11, 00:11
I shop around for everything. I tend to go home after spotting something and look online for it. Whatever is the cheapest price is usually the one we go for.

Wow your lad is big enough for a big bed! They don't stay wee for long. Hope he likes his new bed :)

Dadie
23-Mar-11, 00:26
He is already climbing ...one leg out etc...
So safer going in a real bed sooner than later.
The girls were in real beds by the time they were 16 months old!
Single beds, not toddler beds!

newpark
23-Mar-11, 08:26
They had nice captian beds in Jim's bed warehouse think they were £140 free del. It is the place behind bridge end petrol station in Thurso.

Dadie
23-Mar-11, 09:35
They were not what I wanted.
I researched the type, then found the bed I wanted, now finding the best price for what I want.
Nice and chunky, real wood, full single size(makes getting a new mattress when the time comes a breeze) and not too high off the ground.
I do not intend to buy another bed for him or the girls for ages...well into highschool or leaving home ....so wasnt wanting too much of a kiddie type bed ...
Mattresses will be a different matter, they will be replaced a few times!
Cheap one to start off with...dumped after the toilet training time....and maybe another decent one after a few more years etc...

I was just surprised at how much a difference in price the exactly the same bed(same make and finishand size) could be for sale at!
And as for delivery charges..thats a minefield too.

You know the usual Caithness isnt on the mainland senario!
Must start shopping around more for the little things too as I usually stick the same stuff in the trolley everytime but I am not too bad at the price comparisms in the shops for the BOGOFs that are actually dearer than buying one item or two of a different size...and I stock up on things if it is a really good deal!

pat
23-Mar-11, 10:04
Just been in Stornoway yesterday looking for a hand held steamer as my small one has given up the ghost and big one is too big for me to haul around all the time.
Went in every shop - none available but prices ranging from 50 to 85 pounds, came home, went on line and bought it from Glasgow for 18.95 with free p&p!!! Pays to shop around.
Hope you find what you are looking for at a reasonable price.

Vistravi
23-Mar-11, 11:12
He is already climbing ...one leg out etc...
So safer going in a real bed sooner than later.
The girls were in real beds by the time they were 16 months old!
Single beds, not toddler beds!

It's scary how quickly they learn. My lad fair scoots over the floor, don't knwo what to glue down him or everything else lol.
We're looking into replacing his cot with a cotbed so it'll last a bit longer. Well hopefully anyway lol.
I don't much see the point in toddler beds when you can save your money and put them in a single bed with a bedguard on it. Saves your money in the long run.

Vistravi
23-Mar-11, 11:13
Just been in Stornoway yesterday looking for a hand held steamer as my small one has given up the ghost and big one is too big for me to haul around all the time.
Went in every shop - none available but prices ranging from 50 to 85 pounds, came home, went on line and bought it from Glasgow for 18.95 with free p&p!!! Pays to shop around.
Hope you find what you are looking for at a reasonable price.

What a huge difference!

orkneycadian
23-Mar-11, 22:06
Oh well, looks like Brandy's shop idea is scuppered again. Seems we are back to cheapest is best, especially if online!

Vistravi
24-Mar-11, 00:10
Oh well, looks like Brandy's shop idea is scuppered again. Seems we are back to cheapest is best, especially if online!

Well tescos can't stock everything ;):lol:

Dadie
24-Mar-11, 09:49
Brandys shop is not going to have steam cleaners or beds!
Its going to be clothes...and as far as clothes shopping goes..if I like it I dither and go back once or twice, then try it on, then get it!
And with having a blether with Brandy it looks like loads of stuff I would buy..maybe not the maternity clothes as I dont want to have the need for them, but some of the bits and pieces I would have had in a shot if I could of when pregnant with my kids.
But for electrical items and furniture etc..I work out what I want then try to get the item I want at the best price.
No point in hitting my pocket harder than I have to!
Especially as I will have a make and model or style and colour in mind.

pat
24-Mar-11, 10:12
Orkneycadian
Having spent two hours going into all the local shops, talking to the staff and asking when they would be getting the item requested in and with not even a couple of months availability likely and I use a steamer every day what do you suggest?
Carry on lugging my very large steamer/vaccuum around to my detriment - talk sense, anyone in this situation will go to the obvious solution, shop on line.
Going to the mainland in a couple of weeks but did not want to waste space in vehicle taking one back.
Orkneycadian - do you NEVER buy on line and do you NEVER shop for the items you have difficulty getting in Orkney when away from the islands?
I definitely support local shops but will shop elsewhere when the need arises.

shazzap
24-Mar-11, 11:19
[QUOTE=orkneycadian;833726]Oh well, looks like Brandy's shop idea is scuppered again. Seems we are back to cheapest is best, especially if on line![/QUOT

I find the item i want. Then i go on line and find the best possible price, taking everything into account. That could be local or else where. Not everyone can afford to buy something just because it is local. They would quite frankly be mad to, if a substantial saving can be made.