PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Speed

Moonboots
21-Mar-11, 21:47
Hi,

Is anyone having slow broadband speeds tonight.
Mine has got quite dead since around 4pm onwards.

Im with Tiscali/TalkTalk.. Just want to make sure its not a localised fault rather that the ISP.

speedo215
21-Mar-11, 22:07
yeah i am having the same problem, its getting rather annoying now as i need to access a really important email

mufasa
21-Mar-11, 22:15
yeh really slow here to and im with tiscali too :(

Gizmo
21-Mar-11, 22:29
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1213627324.png

That's pretty slow compared to the speed i normally get in the evening.

Moonboots
21-Mar-11, 23:06
thank goodness that its not just me then.

Gizmo and speedo215. what ISP are you both with.

peedie man
21-Mar-11, 23:16
im with aol and its dead slow and stop

speedo215
21-Mar-11, 23:19

AOL, certain sites are ok but others are slow as hell i.e the org facebook and hotmail

Gizmo
21-Mar-11, 23:22

The Post Office

Moonboots
21-Mar-11, 23:28
it must be a BT issue then..

Ive contacted Talktalk but again it will take them ages to deal with it tho.

Liz
21-Mar-11, 23:33
Mine isn't fast at the best of times but been painfully slow since yesterday as well.:roll::confused

JEBriskham
22-Mar-11, 00:01
I am with Plusnet and since they introduced ADSL Max a few years ago I have been getting anywhere between 3Mb/s and 5Mb/s download. But in the last few weeks it seems as if it's capped at about 2Mb/s, and it's painfully slow on a lot of sites that used to fly. I have contacted PLusnet twice and they are telling me "nothing to do with me govener", so interesting to see other folks with slowness issues. I wonder if we have a general Caithness related infrastructure niggle somewhere?

Shabbychic
22-Mar-11, 01:43
I'm AOL, and I've been crawling all day too. (Well my broadband has been, not me personally)

Moonboots
22-Mar-11, 09:15
seems to be abit back to normal today tho.

RecQuery
22-Mar-11, 09:26
I noticed it last night also. This is beyond the joke now: if peoples power kept on cutting off or the water pressure kept dropping to a trickle they'd be shouting and complaining left, right and centre and it would get some media attention. We all just seem to accept bad broadband and the half-assed explanations from BT, that is when they dain to give one.

JEBriskham
22-Mar-11, 12:59
My results this morning - download is only 0.98 Mb/s. Phone call to Plusnet next on my list - grrrr

Moonboots
22-Mar-11, 13:13
my speed has only slightly increased... but sometimes its ok then drops off again

The Music Monster
22-Mar-11, 13:37
We have had slow or no internet for the last few days - had the BT people out to sort a fault on the phone yesterday, and the engineer said there was an underground fault affecting the internet - so yes, it is a BT issue!!!

RecQuery
22-Mar-11, 15:49
We have had slow or no internet for the last few days - had the BT people out to sort a fault on the phone yesterday, and the engineer said there was an underground fault affecting the internet - so yes, it is a BT issue!!!

It's always a BT issue, I've never seen a problem like this be an ISP issue, occasionally a user issue (malware or someone else using wireless) but never an ISP issue. I've been noticing it since November. If only BT would fix the bloody problem or hire people who can fix the problem instead of their usually dodgy patch-up job.

JEBriskham
26-Mar-11, 01:42
Well what would you know. Fifth phone call today to complain about this. Managed to speak to a supervisor with Plusnet. Blew my top with him and said I was off to shop around for another ISP. Guess what - normal service has been resumed - download of 7mbps - coincidence - who knows?

Dynamic Sounds
26-Mar-11, 10:37
Just checked my speeds, getting 10.71 Mb on the wireless, and my router is synced at 18.71

Saying that as I now live in wales, and can see the exchange from my front door.......

Gronnuck
26-Mar-11, 10:48
I'm fair chuffed because my broadband has recently increased its speed to just over 300 Kbps. Yeh that's right Kbps. In fact this morning it's 335 Kbps - whoo-hoo! we're really motoring here. This is the price I pay for being over 6 Km from the Barrock exchange.
If ISPs were to charge according to the broadband speed they provided I'd be a lot happier.