PDA

View Full Version : Protective head collar trouble!

kel24
21-Mar-11, 16:38
Can anybody suggest a better collar than the one the vets sell, they are huge, expensive and my poor dog is really struggling with it, crashing into everything (including our legs!) lol so any suggestions of better solutions would be great! Thanks :)

Liz
21-Mar-11, 19:12
This looks good.:D http://www.amazon.co.uk/Health-Care-Comfy-Surgery-Large/dp/B000XY7CKE/ref=pd_sim_kh_5

kel24
21-Mar-11, 20:49
Lol thanks Liz, i had seen this on before, but i was hoping for a cheaper solution. He only has to wear it until the 1st April, just didn't want to have to keep spending £6 odd every 2 days to replace the broken ones! Thanks for the help :)

Liz
21-Mar-11, 23:30
Could you trim the one he is wearing just now?

Thankfully, it's not too long now.

I remember one of my poor dogs didn't lift his head most of the time he had to wear his!lol Another was like yours and kept banging into things.

landy
22-Mar-11, 12:03
try taping something soft to the rim as saves major damage plus try to restrict the space your dog has with min objects till they get a bit more adjusted to wearing it.the only trouble with trimming it is that depending on where the bit they shouldnt touch is they can twist to reach it suprisingly.good luck plus shin pads help!!

Dadie
22-Mar-11, 14:36
They have those collars in PAH as well.
Dont know what like the prices are.
We just taped it together with gaffer tape until it was more tape than cone......until it was no longer needed or replaced as it wore out.
Only needed 1 for an 2 week wear...
and 2 for a 3 week wear.
Yes it looked silly and tatty but it did the job it was supposed to do.....
Depending on where the wound is could you not cover it with something to stop the licking and worrying...I used a halterneck top on Benson when he had a chest lump removed with good success(and the added bonus of keeping the wound area and dressings clean)....well I used 3 ..1 on, 1 in the wash and 1 spare.
As for a leg wound nothing for it but the cone...as a leg is so tempting to remove bandages from..and stitches are so itchy ...

kel24
22-Mar-11, 14:39
Thanks for everyone's help, he seems to be getting on better now, just teething problems i guess! I bought a new collar from the vets and this one seems to be lasting lol fingers crossed! x