PDA

View Full Version : ATM Machines !!

Corrie 3
21-Mar-11, 13:37
Just read this in Doanalsin's Diary and thought it was good advice to shield the keypad when punching in your PIN !!!

"POLICE in Inverness are reminding the public to remain vigilant following the discovery at the weekend of a card skimming device which was fitted to a bank machine at Tescos. Supermarket, Inshes, Inverness. As a result of police enquiries into this discovery 5 men were later arrested and are to appear at Inverness Sheriff Court on Monday 21 March 2011.
These devices are used to clone people's card details allowing the criminals to withdraw money from their accounts using their pin code which they usually obtain by standing nearby and watching people enter it on the machine's keypad.
They have also been known to attach small cameras to the machine in an attempt to obtain people's pin numbers.
Police advise members of the public to look carefully at the machine before using it and if it looks like it has been tampered with or altered in any way to report it immediately. People should also keep their hand over the keypad so that anyone standing nearby or using a camera cannot see them enter the number."

I put money on the villians being Eastern European!!

C3.......:roll::mad:

pottheed
21-Mar-11, 15:32
that is actually rather racist, just like me saying bet it is the blacks............

Corrie 3
21-Mar-11, 15:40
that is actually rather racist, just like me saying bet it is the blacks............
No not racist Pottheed, just an observation based over the last 10 years. I have found that almost all of these type of ATM offences are carried out by Eastern Europeans...They certainly do seem to be the masters at it!!!

C3....:roll::roll:

Spongeboab
21-Mar-11, 16:43

not going by today's Inverness Sherriff Court list they're not.

http://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/rolls/sheriff/lists/inv/INV110321.htm#COP2

i don't think you were being racist either, the eastern europeans are well known for this type of crime, but maybe not this time.

stekar
21-Mar-11, 16:48
I much prefer to draw cash out from atm's inside the bank, or use the Post Office. Though obviously this is only possible 9 - 5.30.

Bazeye
21-Mar-11, 19:32
No not racist Pottheed, just an observation based over the last 10 years. I have found that almost all of these type of ATM offences are carried out by Eastern Europeans...They certainly do seem to be the masters at it!!!

C3....:roll::roll:

My first thought as well after reading the first line. If its racist of me to assume theyre eastern Europeans, they shouldnt do it in the first place.

joxville
21-Mar-11, 20:53
And don't forget to close and lock all windows and doors when you go to bed. And put the cat out. And check under the bed for scary monsters. :roll:

Oh, and in the wardrobe too.

oldmarine
21-Mar-11, 22:02
Just read this in Doanalsin's Diary and thought it was good advice to shield the keypad when punching in your PIN !!!

"POLICE in Inverness are reminding the public to remain vigilant following the discovery at the weekend of a card skimming device which was fitted to a bank machine at Tescos. Supermarket, Inshes, Inverness. As a result of police enquiries into this discovery 5 men were later arrested and are to appear at Inverness Sheriff Court on Monday 21 March 2011.
These devices are used to clone people's card details allowing the criminals to withdraw money from their accounts using their pin code which they usually obtain by standing nearby and watching people enter it on the machine's keypad.
They have also been known to attach small cameras to the machine in an attempt to obtain people's pin numbers.
Police advise members of the public to look carefully at the machine before using it and if it looks like it has been tampered with or altered in any way to report it immediately. People should also keep their hand over the keypad so that anyone standing nearby or using a camera cannot see them enter the number."

ATM's are favorite ways to gather cash at locations other than banks here in the USA. Expert crooks have figured ways for doing so. And it's not just blacks or any particular nationality...

shazzap
21-Mar-11, 22:07
When you hear of this sort of crime. The majority of the time, it is Eastern Europeans, who are involved.
Nothing racist about it, it is just a fact. I will not use an ATM, that is out side now. Only the one's inside of banks, or the teller.

George Brims
21-Mar-11, 22:51
Well it was a white bloke of English descent who did the one round the corner from my house. A customer noticed that the slot seemed tight and hesitated before putting in his card. Then he noticed the front of the machine stuck out further than the one beside it. It was a whole fake front on the machine! He then spotted a bloke sitting in a nearby car with binoculars. A quick call to 911 led to the guy with the binoculars being arrested and a number of customers getting their cards back.

Criminals, like idiots, are a multiracial phenomenon.

Corrie 3
22-Mar-11, 17:41
Looks like I won my bet, Damn, why didnt I put £50 on at the bookies !!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-12820751

C3....:eek::mad::roll:

Bazeye
22-Mar-11, 20:45
He then spotted a bloke sitting in a nearby car with binoculars.

He should have gone to Specsavers.

John Little
22-Mar-11, 21:08

"Arrests were made following the discovery at the weekend of a card skimming device which was fitted to a cash machine in Inshes, Inverness.

Silviu Ioan MacNaemtu, 22, Gheorghe McBodea, 34, Florin MacinPop, 26, Alexandru Mc'Anton, 22, and Ioan MacSolomon, 36, all of Slough, made no plea or declaration.

They were remanded in custody and the case continued for further examination.

The men appear in private at the sheriff court on Monday.

C3....:eek::mad

Nah - you lost......:)

Corrie 3
22-Mar-11, 22:26
Nah - you lost......:)
Ah John, so they were Eastern Europeans of Scottish descent, now I know thats not true because no Scotsman would pay out all that money in petrol to get to Inverness from Slough. Unless they did a drive off everytime they filled up of course!!
Just seems a long way to drive to skim off an ATN dont you think?

C3.....:roll:;)

Bazeye
22-Mar-11, 22:33

C3....:eek::mad::roll:

So, youre not racist after all.

John Little
22-Mar-11, 22:40
Ah John, so they were Eastern Europeans of Scottish descent, now I know thats not true because no Scotsman would pay out all that money in petrol to get to Inverness from Slough. Unless they did a drive off everytime they filled up of course!!
Just seems a long way to drive to skim off an ATN dont you think?

C3.....:roll:;)

Ah well now - there's so much cash in Inverness - a boom town and a bonanza rich in the pickings. They do say that the streets are paved with gold...