PDA

View Full Version : Snails!

Dadie
21-Mar-11, 12:03
We are now the proud owners of 4 Giant African Snails.
Named Shelly 1, Shelly 2, Shelly 3 and Shelly 5 at the moment!
Iona named them.....:lol:
Going to pop through to Wick to get some more compost for them and a new waterspray bottle today and a toothbrush to clean the shells (my one is not going to be used for that job).
They are facinating to watch though quite slow and they can fairly demolish a cucumber and a banana.
Iona sat up for ages at bedtime watching them by torchlight wandering around the tank and they are nice and quiet and dont wake her up unlike the hamster who had to be moved up to Laurens room!
Still not brave enough to handle them as im waiting for the cuts and burns(cooking injuries, yup, managed to grate my fingers and catch the wire rack in the oven on the same day) to heal on my hands before handling them.
Bought some calcium dusting powder to sprinkle on their food as well as the block that came with them...to see what works out best in the tank.
Anyone else got them and what do they think about them?

bod1403
21-Mar-11, 12:14
What happened to Shelly 4?????

Dadie
21-Mar-11, 12:25
Ionas counting isnt great....it goes 1 2 3 5 6 7 9 10 11 12 13 17 19 20!
She named them....
Just the same as the rabbits... pure black rabbit called spot..not a spot on him....the other one who is white and could have been a spot at a push is Peppa..
The 2 male dwarf hamsters...tinkerbell and cheese!
Kids named their beasties....
Yup im the one who looks after them all!

Sarah
21-Mar-11, 15:57
Glad they are in a lovely home, do you have any photos? I used to wish I owned some, then I got a huge Apple Snail, and changed my mind. He's kind of gross looking! I love the Land Snails, though I don't think I could own them.

Love all your pets names!

Dadie
28-Mar-11, 23:17
Well we think we have a lot of loving going on in the tank!
Any ideas on the microwave settings I need to do the compost at so I dont end up over run by snails?
Dont think we could cope with 30+ extras..even though they are apparently very cute as babies.
Goodness knows what they willl think in tescos when I buy 6 cucumbers and a pile of toothbrushes!
But if anyone wants some eggs or young let us know...before we nuke em!...because when you get wee snails they are so cute its a bit heartless to cull em!
And I would struggle................