PDA

View Full Version : Smoking?

ducati
20-Mar-11, 20:22
I'm a moderate smoker, and roll me own tabs. It costs me about £3.00 every couple of days.

I was queing to buy baccy at a well known Wick Hypermarket :D and the bloke in front of me bought 60 fags of a well known budget brand.

Well, I'm not nosey but I happened to hear the price and I nearly had a stroke! (something my doctor keeps threatening me with if I dont pack it in).

How on earth can smokers afford it?

What do you pay? or would you rather not think about it?

Commore
20-Mar-11, 20:30
I'm a moderate smoker, and role me own tabs. It costs me about £3.00 every couple of days.

I was queing to buy baccy at a well known Wick Hypermarket :D and the bloke in front of me bought 60 fags of a well known budget brand.

Well, I'm not nosey but I happened to hear the price and I nearly had a stroke! (something my doctor keeps threatening me with if I dont pack it in).

I spend £22 per week on my poison, I used to be like the guy in front of you in the shop, I was a 60 a day type of person but although I love my fags, I grudged the price,
I now deliberately buy 1 pkt of fags per week and the rest I roll myself.

orkneycadian
20-Mar-11, 20:39
Do folk still do that? Thought such an antiquated method of self euthanasia went out of fashion years ago!

Commore
20-Mar-11, 20:41
Do folk still do that? Thought such an antiquated method of self euthanasia went out of fashion years ago!

:) A smokers choice.

shazzap
20-Mar-11, 20:54
I quit 16 yrs ago.
But OH still smokes. He goes to sea, so pays bond prices.
Lucky or unlucky, depending on your view point.

oldmarine
20-Mar-11, 21:40
I quit smoking after I returned from overseas after fighting in the Pacific during WW2. I really didn't enjoy smoking and smoked only because the cigs were free and most of the Marines smoked. After watching the price of smokes rise to astronomical heights I am thankful I did quit smoking.

puffin croft
21-Mar-11, 09:16
My dad smoked from the age of 13 to 55,he is now attached to a oxygen machine 16 hours a day at the age of 61.Please try and stop and yes I know how hard it is,I smoked from 13 to 29 years old.

ducati
21-Mar-11, 09:29
My dad smoked from the age of 13 to 55,he is now attached to a oxygen machine 16 hours a day at the age of 61.Please try and stop and yes I know how hard it is,I smoked from 13 to 29 years old.

Hi puffin croft, approprate name for the thread, you're absolutely right. Any smoker that doesn't have health problems now is just storing them up for the future. I think we could turn this thread into a mutual support to pack it in.

Here is one good reason: The guy buying the 60 'cheap' fags (if that was his daily use) could have (for example) 2 cruises a year, HP or lease a new Jaguar or fund a very serious personal pension, and have half a chance of living to see it.

What would be your reason to pack in the tabs?

shazzap
21-Mar-11, 09:42
Hi puffin croft, approprate name for the thread, you're absolutely right. Any smoker that doesn't have health problems now is just storing them up for the future. I think we could turn this thread into a mutual support to pack it in.

Here is one good reason: The guy buying the 60 'cheap' fags (if that was his daily use) could have (for example) 2 cruises a year, HP or lease a new Jaguar or fund a very serious personal pension, and have half a chance of living to see it.

That just doesn't happen though. I and most people i have spoken to. Don't save the money, we would have spent on smoking. It just seem to go on something else.

gleeber
21-Mar-11, 10:32

Your an addict Ducati, you couldn't stop. Well that's not quite right. You could stop but because of your addiction you would have trouble staying stopped. You kid yourself on that it's only costing you 10 quid a week so compared to the bloke on the cheap fags it's no contest.
I used to break out in a sweat just thinking about stopping. I smoked 30 a day and stoped about 18 years ago. It wasn't easy but I think the timing was right and a day at a time I became a non-smoker. It was sweet to say when offered a fag, no thanks I dont smoke.
For the first few months I put the money I saved in a tin every night. It became a ritual and I became addicted to putting my money in the tin. I wish I hadnt kicked that addiction.

ducati
21-Mar-11, 11:36
Ah gleeber, you old cinic. Each one of us will have a way to pack it in. Some of us just haven't found it yet. Maybe this is mine :Razz

Your tin could have been a pretty sum after 18 years if you had kept it up :eek: A quick guesstimate allowing for inflation..............£72,000

gleeber
21-Mar-11, 11:52
After 3 months I had enough to buy a mini belle cement mixer the one with the new Honda engine. I even had enough wind to fill it without pechan. I stopped the tin addiction at that time. 2 weeks later someone thought they had more right to my new mixer than me and the mixer and the tin addiction sailed into the sunset. I still don't smoke though.

puffin croft
21-Mar-11, 14:43
i used the patchs to stop,it just took the edge off enough to let the wii power kick in.i never thought i could do it,i had tried so many times.but now i look at my lovely dad and hope that i have now done enough to save my children from seeing their mum going through what hes going through now.i didn t save up the money ,i just took each door at a time.then slowly i relaxed more,breathed better and realised how horrible i smelt when i smoked!

Tugmistress
21-Mar-11, 14:52
i would rather not think about it, i know it costs me a fortune! and i would rather not have the ex smokers and non smokers lecture me on how to live my life - yes i am an addict and i will give up if and when and how i choose which at the moment i don't want to do.

Mark
21-Mar-11, 14:52
Giving up smoking is easy peezy. Ive done it LOOAADDSS of times. The old ones are ALWAYS the goodest :-)

pmcd
21-Mar-11, 15:21
Let's throw a few facts into the pond.

HM Government's revenue in excise from tobacco products in year 2009-10 £8.8bn
HM Government's revenue in VAT from tobacco products in year 2009-10 £1.7bn

HM government's declaration for cost of smoking as a % of NHS budget in 2009 £5.0bn

Taxpayers "bonus" of £5.5bn available to cure non-smoking population stressed out by existence of smokers.......

Shabbychic
21-Mar-11, 15:31
i would rather not think about it, i know it costs me a fortune! and i would rather not have the ex smokers and non smokers lecture me on how to live my life - yes i am an addict and i will give up if and when and how i choose which at the moment i don't want to do.

Totally agree. I smoke because I want to. I wonder how many ex or non smokers are addicted to junk food, and are overweight with high cholesterol and BPs?;)

lyngak
21-Mar-11, 15:58
I was the same I smoked because I wanted to, I worked and payed 4 it myself so whats the problem!!
18 months ago I gave up because my kids hated it, they hated the smell, my disappearing out the back door 4 a quick smoke as did my partner, he also hated it!!!
I found the first few weeks very hard but I didnt give up, im still a non smoker and I also cant stand the smell now i have to leave if someone lights up!!!
Im not a critic I just look at things differently now!!
I also done it through sheer willpower for kids and I have to say im proud I done it for them and my partner!!!

ducati
21-Mar-11, 16:23

HM government's declaration for cost of smoking as a % of NHS budget in 2009 £5.0bn

Taxpayers "bonus" of £5.5bn available to cure non-smoking population stressed out by existence of smokers.......

Blimey, If we all gave up at once we could bankrupt the country..Oh..hang on a minute[lol]

Bazeye
21-Mar-11, 19:39
Blimey, If we all gave up at once we could bankrupt the country..Oh..hang on a minute[lol]

Maybe if all the non/ex smokers started smoking, we could lift ourselves out of this recession.

bekisman
21-Mar-11, 19:43
I'm a moderate smoker, and roll me own tabs. It costs me about £3.00 every couple of days.

Mentioned this before: happened to watch some programme on BBC1 called "smoke house" about kids trying to get their mothers/fathers to stop smoking.. Just surprised, as one of the Dads; 'Keith' is an 80 a day smoker, seems he's spent over £295,000 in his lifetime about £5,475 a year.. Where the hell does he find £105 a week? they live in rented accommodation, he wants to buy his own house, and seems Keith's kids can't have holidays.
Each to their own I suppose.

ducati
21-Mar-11, 19:59
Mentioned this before: happened to watch some programme on BBC1 called "smoke house" about kids trying to get their mothers/fathers to stop smoking.. Just surprised, as one of the Dads; 'Keith' is an 80 a day smoker, seems he's spent over £295,000 in his lifetime about £5,475 a year.. Where the hell does he find £105 a week? they live in rented accommodation, he wants to buy his own house, and seems Keith's kids can't have holidays.

It's actually more like £180 a week.

Bazeye
21-Mar-11, 20:00

Is "Keith" working by any chance and if he is do you know how much he earns?

bekisman
21-Mar-11, 20:31
Is "Keith" working by any chance and if he is do you know how much he earns?

No idea, but pointers: 'they live in rented accommodation, he wants to buy his own house, and seems Keith's kids can't have holidays.'

Doreen
21-Mar-11, 21:12
Well saidTugmistress i am sick of people who are non smokers trying to tell me how bad it is i work hard buy my own fags pay my taxes you think it came out of there pockets and i know its bad for my health i dont constantly need reminding and the ex smokers are the worst my choice my life i can live it the way i want to

Carole
21-Mar-11, 21:35
Well saidTugmistress i am sick of people who are non smokers trying to tell me how bad it is i work hard buy my own fags pay my taxes you think it came out of there pockets and i know its bad for my health i dont constantly need reminding and the ex smokers are the worst my choice my life i can live it the way i want to

If the smoking genuinely affects no one other than the smoker then I will strongly defend their right to continue.

I grew up in a house where both my parents smoked, at a time when passive smoking had not been heard of, and I had continuous sore throats and frequent stinging eyes. After thirty odd years of smoking they gave up the weed (a close relative died of lung cancer having been a heavy smoker) and it was a life changing action for both of them. I was so proud of them both and it gave them such a new lease of life.

You just don't know how much of a (good) effect it can have on those around you, until you try.

Carole
21-Mar-11, 21:56
[QUOTE=Doreen;833170/I enjoy my fag and i dont smoke around other people so im not hurting any body but myself[/QUOTE]

That's great. Enjoy!

Doreen
21-Mar-11, 21:59
That's great. Enjoy!Thank you i will

shazzap
21-Mar-11, 22:43

Whose lecthering you. Are family giving you grief. If so it will only be out of concern, i would imagine. I know some ex sokers can be a pain in the preverbial. i hope i am not one of them. I know it would be impossible for my OH to stop, but do nag him to cut down. For the sake of his own health, as well as mine. I was a social smoker, smoked loads when out drinking. But when at home my first cig of the day was well after noon. But i did smoke for years, ans quit without any help.

Carole
21-Mar-11, 23:53
Shazzap. You say 'it would be impossible for my OH to stop'. It's not. They just haven't found a good enough reason yet. Please don't give up hope. Good luck!

shazzap
22-Mar-11, 00:14
Shazzap. You say 'it would be impossible for my OH to stop'. It's not. They just haven't found a good enough reason yet. Please don't give up hope. Good luck!

OK then. He would find it extremely hard. Nigh on impossible. Plus he doesn't want to. His choice.
What do you do, if you don't like it ???? Divorce. :confused Or do you do what i do, become a nagging wife. [evil]

Carole
22-Mar-11, 00:23
OK then. He would find it extremely hard. Nigh on impossible. Plus he doesn't want to. His choice.
What do you do, if you don't like it ???? Divorce. :confused Or do you do what i do, become a nagging wife. [evil]

I was lucky.
When I first met my husband, he smoked a pipe - and the smoke from pipes is REALLY thick! Without me saying anything, he realised that I found it difficult to be in the room when he was smoking (I usually opened windows, coughed a bit, waved my hand in front of my face :roll:). He gave it up pretty quickly. As I say, I was lucky.

shazzap
22-Mar-11, 00:28
I was lucky.
When I first met my husband, he smoked a pipe - and the smoke from pipes is REALLY thick! Without me saying anything, he realised that I found it difficult to be in the room when he was smoking (I usually opened windows, coughed a bit, waved my hand in front of my face :roll:). He gave it up pretty quickly. As I say, I was lucky.

You are very lucky. I have tried all the blackmail sayings. You know. ( You can't love/think much of me. Etc, etc. ) I'm just glad he goes away to work, and i get some respite.

puffin croft
22-Mar-11, 10:01
u can t make anyone else give up smoking,u have to really want to yourself.i don t lecture people about giving up smoking ,it is your choice.BUT watching someone u love unable to get to the corner shop on their own because they can t breath or watching their lips go blue when they can t catch their breath,all due to a smoking related illness,then it makes me remember how i used to say to other people 'i will give up when i stop enjoying it so much'. well u never stop enjoying it,because its satisfying an addiction.u have to reach past that feeling and remember if u carry on smoking u will probably die from a smoke related illness like my dad is (at 61 i will remind everyone,not old).its a fact u have to face up to whether u like the truth or not.

ducati
22-Mar-11, 10:22
Well that's me!

This is the first day of the rest of my smoke free life :eek:

shazzap
22-Mar-11, 10:30
Well that's me!

Good luck.
Only you can do it. It's like any other addiction, you have got to want to give up.

Carole
22-Mar-11, 10:59
Well that's me!

Brilliant! We're with you all the way. Wishing you all the luck and strength that you need. x

orkneycadian
22-Mar-11, 11:09

Minor ommision in your calculations....

You show the total revenue to the Government, but only the cost to the NHS. Maybe you could update the figures with the total cost, i.e. loss of TAX / NI revenue from smokers off work / in hospital, loss of revenue to business, cost to businesses of replacing smoking staff when they croak early, etc. I guess you can add to that, cost to the insurance industry (an ultimately the premium payers) due to fires arising from smokers dropping fags down the back of the couch etc.

Carole
22-Mar-11, 11:11

You show the total revenue to the Government, but only the cost to the NHS. Maybe you could update the figures with the total cost, i.e. loss of TAX / NI revenue from smokers off work / in hospital, loss of revenue to business, cost to businesses of replacing smoking staff when they croak early, etc. I guess you can add to that, cost to the insurance industry (an ultimately the premium payers) due to fires arising from smokers dropping fags down the back of the couch etc.

Plus the cost of disability benefits.

pmcd
22-Mar-11, 11:35
Yes, Orkneycadian - those WERE raw figures - now let's add the actuarial dimension in terms of cost of "rest of shorter/impaired life", and the fact that if - as the health police so often tell us - that each smoker dies 10 years before his non-smoking counterpart, then each smoker costs at least a state pension less for 10 years, etc, etc, etc.

Now you will say, with the appropriate flourish, that I haven't considered passive smoking - a phenomenon which (by some statistical management) INCREASES damage to the community as the number of smokers DECREASES?

And all this whilst millions of huge diesel and petrol behemoths spew out clouds of particulates to ensure a healthy nation!

Let's face it, the moral high ground (i.e. the upper hand) is held by the non-smokers.

There aren't many non-drivers.

Morality or fashion?

bekisman
22-Mar-11, 11:44

Last year the British Exchequer reckoned that Chinese fake cigs cost it nearly GBP2bn in lost revenues from some 10 billion cigarettes smuggled into the country, about half of which are estimated to be fakes..
One of my last 'shouts' in the Fire Service was where a pie-eyed smoker had fallen asleep, fag fell onto the armchair: four people of the same family died...

gleeber
22-Mar-11, 12:22
Well that's me!

Aye aye :roll:

Commore
22-Mar-11, 12:26

Oh, well written! :)

Bazeye
22-Mar-11, 21:07
One of my last 'shouts' in the Fire Service was where a pie-eyed smoker had fallen asleep, fag fell onto the armchair: four people of the same family died...

He shouldnt have drank so much then.

Bazeye
22-Mar-11, 21:10
Let's face it, the moral high ground (i.e. the upper hand) is held by the non-smokers.

There aren't many non-drivers.

Im a non driving smoker. Any more like me?

pmcd
22-Mar-11, 23:58
I am an unreformed ex smoker, and hate people who bang on about the evils of smokers, and I don't and won't drive on the grounds I don't want to behave as I have seen many behave on the roads when wrapped in the anonymity and "safety" of a few sheets of metal, or be associated with people who think a car is an extension of, or replacement for, a personality.

The "moral high ground" is always held by the majority. As there are more of them, they dictate the present morality. Woe betide anyone who speaks out against the conventional wisdom of the day!

As a non-driver, I can caterwaul all I like about the pumping poisons on the highway which diminish the light, fill the lungs, and damage nature - but I am in the minority, so I do not hold the moral high ground.

Fashion can often be mistaken for bullying.

I don't like being bullied!