PDA

View Full Version : Stout/Simpson-Lookup Census 1871-81?

jackie
01-Sep-06, 15:52
looking to see if I can find any information on a helen simpson who had a daughter by Edward Stout. Not sure if the couple were married or not but the daughter's name was Jane Stout (b 1871, Thurso), named after Edward's mother Jane Taylor.
Can't seem to find any other children, to try and fit Helen into the right family of Simpson's.
Any help greatly appreciated. Edward was from Dunnet, and the two possibilities for Helen are: Margaret Ritch and William Simpson Canisbay (Helen born 1853) or John Simpson + Margaret Dunnet Canisbay (helen born 1851)

Freecen only gives the 1861 census, wondering if anyone else has the 1871, 1881 census that might find this couple or Helen with her daughter living at home with her parents.
Thanks
Jackie

mary
02-Sep-06, 18:07
Hello Jackie,
I have found your Jane Stout living with her grandparents in 1881. As you will see her grandparents were John Simpson and Margaret Dunnet on the IGI there are 8 children listed for John and Margaret.

Dwelling: Scrabster Roads
Census Place: Thurso, Caithness, Scotland
Source: FHL Film 0203402 GRO Ref Volume 041 EnumDist 11 Page 10
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
John SIMPSON M 54 M Canisbay, Caithness, Scotland
Rel: Head
Occ: Fisherman
Margaret SIMPSON M 59 F Canisbay, Caithness, Scotland
Rel: Wife
Occ: Fishermans Wife
Johan SIMPSON U 25 F Canisbay, Caithness, Scotland
Rel: Dau
Occ: Farm Serv
Charlotte SIMPSON U 19 F Thurso, Caithness, Scotland
Rel: Dau
Occ: Farm Serv
Jane STOUT 9 F Thurso, Caithness, Scotland
Rel: G Dau
Occ: Scholar
Jamesina ROBERTSON 7 F Thurso, Caithness, Scotland
Margaret CAMPBELL 4 F Thurso, Caithness, Scotland

Dwelling: Murkle
Census Place: Thurso, Caithness, Scotland
Source: FHL Film 0203402 GRO Ref Volume 041 EnumDist 6 Page 10
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Edward STOUT U 27 M Dunnet, Caithness, Scotland
Rel: Head
Occ: Farm Servant
David GUNN U 18 M Thurso, Caithness, Scotland
Angus CAMPBELL U 15 M Thurso, Caithness, Scotland
Jane SUTHERLAND U 32 F Walls, Orkney, Scotland
Occ: Cook For Farm Servants

I checked the free search for a possible death for Helen on Scotlands People there is a death for a Helen Simpson in 1913 b 1851 + - 1 year. Might be yours.

Anyway hope this helps
Regards Mary.

jackie
03-Sep-06, 18:33
Thanks Mary, that is great I appreciate the help. With all of them naming all of their children the same names and the birth years close to each other sometimes it is hard to get the right one.
thanks
Jackie

hiyaitsfiona
09-Oct-06, 20:24
Hi Jackie,

John Simpson is my 1st cousin 4 times removed. Were you able to work out the grandchildren and how they fit in?

Fiona :)

jackie
10-Oct-06, 20:06
HI Fiona, its Jackie in Canada. No I haven't been able to get back to any of it yet as we had family out from Tasmania so I have been busy with all the rellies coming over. Hope to get to things soon.
Jackie

hiyaitsfiona
10-Oct-06, 21:00
lol Jackie,

Hope you and rellies had a good time. And we keep looking for more!

Fiona :)