PDA

View Full Version : HORNE & CAMPBELL - Wick?

phislop
19-Mar-11, 05:52
I have a Johanna Campbell HORNE who was supposedly born in Wick in 1821. Her parents have been named as John HORNE and Mary CAMPBELL. I believe Johanna appears as a 20yr old in the 1841 Census in Edinburgh - with no family and stated as Independent. She married before 1851.
It has been stated that her father was an Officer in the East India Company.
After many decades of wondering if this was a long tale.......
I have, very kindly, been sent information that there was a John HORNE son of John HORNE (Stirkoke) born 1800, Bower, Caithness and he was an Artillery Cadet in the service of the Honourable East India Company sometime before 1823. I believe John Jnr died in 1843 in India.
This looks to be a really good fit - but I cannot find the marriage of John to a Mary CAMPBELL - nor can I find anything that looks like a christening for Johanna/Johana/Joan c 1821.
Any assistance in proving this relationship, or clues to do so, would be gratefully received.

grandma
23-Mar-11, 11:39
We too have the same story that our g-grandfather was named for his father John Horne of Stirkoke in 1841. His mother was a farm servant on the estate and the gentleman in question was said to have taken advantage of her (and others). This is just a family story but pretty sure there is some grain of truth in it. We can't find any birth details for him either but his father is named on his marriage certificate as his reputed father and we find him and his mother on the 1841 census in Wick living in a street where there are other unmarried mothers.
This might be a totally different John Horne of course.