PDA

View Full Version : In Patient

highlander
01-Sep-06, 12:55
Going into Aberdeen Hospital for a week, can anyone suggest what to take along to pass the time, i have taken paperback books, and crosswords, but get tired of them after a while, not allowed personal radios, more worried cos if i forget something, its not like i can phone up hubby to get anything.

sam
01-Sep-06, 13:01
take a writting pad,envelopes & stamps there is no better time to catch up with all the people you promise to contact but never seem to find the time to do it:D

Liz
01-Sep-06, 14:15
Sorry to hear that you have to in to hospital.:(

Unless you would like to do embroidery etc there isn't really much else you can do apart from read and, for some reason, this is really hard to do in hospital!
Might be better with some magazines as they will be easier to read.

Hopefully there will be someone else in the ward who you can have a good blether with and that will pass the time.

Hope it goes well for you.

footie chick
01-Sep-06, 14:27
Raigmore have TV/phones and internet access at most beds you have to pay for a card might be worth finding out if Aberdeen have it as well.

Best wishes and hopefully the week will fly by

Scunner
01-Sep-06, 14:47
buy this weeks mags and keep them. I find that I cannot concentrate on a book. Short articles I can just about manage.

the tv thingie in Raigmore is good, if quite expensive, when it works!!!!!!!!!!

good luck

golach
01-Sep-06, 15:42
Raigmore have TV/phones and internet access at most beds you have to pay for a card might be worth finding out if Aberdeen have it as well.

Best wishes and hopefully the week will fly by
Edin Royal has a similar system but very expensive, to accept a call from outside cost both you and the caller 0.50p a min :(

sharon
01-Sep-06, 16:06
this might seam a strange one.... food!! just incase theres nothing you like on the menu or just needing a snack as i found in raigmore with your cuppa you didn't even get a biscuit.
remember to take your mobile so when you are up and about you can take a walk to the door ( to pass some time) and phone everyone as the payphone just eat away at the money, and i think its ok to charge your mobile aslong as it stays off in the hospital..
best wishes and hope you have a speedy recovery.

phoenix
01-Sep-06, 17:25
Sorry to hear your going into hospital again Highlander! As someone already suggested a writing pad and envelopes, its good to get all your thoughts and feelings down on paper. I took in knitting and books, for some reason couldnt concentrate to do any of it, is there no-one you know of thats in Aberdeen that could get you anything that you may need? Wont they have a computer there that patients can have access to, if they do you could always get an orger to send anything you may need down to you! :) All the best Highlander.......chin up and dont worry! http://forum.caithness.org/images/icons/icon14.gif

Kenn
01-Sep-06, 17:35
Had a wicked thought how about writing your Christmas Cards?
Failing that a pack of playing cards, a pocket solitaire or similiar.
All the best for the trip south,will be thinking of you.

gee
01-Sep-06, 17:38
sorry to hear you have to go into hospital. i was in same hospital few years ago. on the ground floor there is a restaurant, boutique and a newsagent and wee grocers bit. dont panic if you forget anything, all essentials on sale there. plus nurses are really good, i was in there longer than expected and the nurses offered to get bits and pieces from shop for me.

candyfloss
01-Sep-06, 17:40
When i was hospital i took my cross-stitch in with me, or maybe some knitting if your in to that.Only other thing i can think of is jigsaws.I got fed up reading books and magazines too.
Hope you get well soon :)

Kingetter
01-Sep-06, 18:58
Allow yourself one book - jokes/cartoons - you might need a laugh, but if you have stitches, take care.
Paper, envelopes and stamps have been mentioned so you can catch up on letters but don't forget an address book?

highlander
01-Sep-06, 19:40
Thank you everyone, when i was in Raigmore, they did have the tv above the beds, but it was £3.50 a day, 15pence a min to call out, 50pence minute for hubby to phone me, there is email on it, but hecks, thats no-use i wanted to come on here lol, i did buy cross stitch while ago, but found it difficult to do if u did not have good lighten in the room, yes thats a good idea take up the knitting, i did those lovely chunky scarfs, but ended up doing 2 a day, hubby thought by end of week we had shares in Elizabeths, lol
I think catching up on letters will be good idea, you get that used to just picking up a phone, or emailing.
Bought a take a break, got plenty paperbacks to pick from, bought bananas, biscuits, chocolate, hecks, think im going to need a separate bag for all these things. thanks again for your good wishes.
p.s. im going to need at least a week, to catch up with whats been happening here.

Kingetter
01-Sep-06, 19:44
Well don't you go doing things we wouldnt do while you're away or we will have to send a Mod to you!
Second thoughts, we could send em all to you, how about that?
(Not forgetting you are one, right?)

DrSzin
01-Sep-06, 19:51
I would take my iPod, my mobile(s), and my laptop (don't forget the chargers) - assuming the place doesn't enforce a Victorian-asylum-style regime like the one that Edinburgh hospitals seemed so enamoured with a decade ago. On second thoughts, they've probably not changed at all in that respect.

I actually took some work with me on the two occasions I was in hospital back then. It can be a great place to get peace and quiet to sit and think for hours on end. But then I'm slightly mad in that respect...

Btw how do you write letters without a computer and an internet connection? I've been told you can do it with a thin blank rectangle of processed wood called "paper" and a primitive device called a pen. They say you can "write" on the paper (whatever that means), then you fold it up and put it in a thing called an envelope. Finally, you scribble the recipient's address on the front of the envelope and put it through a slit in a big bright red cylinder called a "post box". Somehow, the letter is supposed to end up in the right place within a day or two. But I simply don't believe a word of any of this nonsense. How can the letter possibly go anywhere if you can't click on "Send"? They must think I'm really stupid. :confused:

Seriously, I hope to see you fit and well in the Org very soon. The collective will of the Org will be wishing you well.

percy toboggan
01-Sep-06, 20:20
Good luck Highlander. I hope you're soon home fit and well.

Elenna
01-Sep-06, 20:23
Best wishes from me, too, Highlander. I hope all goes well, and that we see you back as soon as may be!

cuddlepop
01-Sep-06, 20:25
Enjoy the rest and peace and quiet.Puzzle books,mags ,snackie things .Think everyone's given you most of my thoughts.You take care of yourselve and dont be in any hurry to go full steam ahead when you get home.:D

canuck
01-Sep-06, 20:32
Going into Aberdeen Hospital for a week, can anyone suggest what to take along to pass the time,

You can take along all your memories of the incredibly fun times we have had in the chat room, doing the quizzes, solving the problems which people have posted on the threads. And you can take along all the best wishes of the org collective.

In the quiet moments you can imagine some of the issues we will likely be getting contraversial about as you go about your recovery. Laugh out loud when you think of Gleber2 blustering over something, squidge straightening him out or MadPict trying to be serious but always making us smile. Your laughter will attract the staff and then you can tell them about some of our escapades. Just telling our stories will surely pass the time for you. Or you can start writing them down. Start your own book, an org anthology or antholorgy.

On a practical side, I find that hospitals are very dry places. Some good hand/body lotion is a must for your loot bag. All the best for the days to come. We shall watch for a speedy return of our favorite moderator.

Scunner
01-Sep-06, 21:13
do some research for another quiz, but you will need a pen and paper to write it all down.

trinkie
01-Sep-06, 21:22
May I suggest a book of poems - much easier to read than a novel !

OR try some felt pens/ crayons and a drawing pad of course, even if you cant draw, the colour therapy would be so good for you - I once did hundreds of little flower heads and then cut them out one by one and popped them in with letters to friends. That really kept me occupied for ages !

Whatever you decide, my very Best Wishes to you.
Trinkie

katarina
01-Sep-06, 21:38
Edin Royal has a similar system but very expensive, to accept a call from outside cost both you and the caller 0.50p a min :(

I think that's dreadful! Making money off the sick! [disgust]

Big Jean
02-Sep-06, 00:23
A book light, if you have one, is a good idea so you can read in the wee small hours, just in case sleep doesn't come easy . This way no one else will be disturbed .
LIZ had a good idea about writing your Christmas cards as that would get one job out of the way early .
Good luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery .

sassylass
02-Sep-06, 02:07
a deck of playing cards is good fun, or if you can find the card game called "Set"...it's interesting and can keep you occupied for ages. Here's wishing you are home soon, fit as a fiddle!

dirdyweeker
02-Sep-06, 20:17
I suggest some soft loo roll, anti-bacterial hand gel, ice in a flask and earplugs. Reckon no patient should be in hospital without them.
Hope all goes well for you and try to keep your sense of humour throughout.

paris
02-Sep-06, 23:36
Good luck Highlander,hope your back soon and all goes well. jan x

Fran
03-Sep-06, 00:43
Sorry to hear you are going into hospital Highlander. My friend went into aberdeen Infirmary yesterday, ward 40. I hope you have some friendly people in the ward with you. I was in hospital in January and had two lovely patients with me, we chatted a lot and had some laughs, shared papers and magazines, and this made the time pass. hope this will happen to you too. I would suggest face wipes, so cooling and refreshing, or a face mist spray. Crossword books or magazines like chat and take a break...they will keep you busy.Take your curling tongs and hair dryer, a couple of family photoes, talc, cotton nightwear without sleeves and buttons down the chest to make easy access for monitors and blood pressure gauges, and a purse full of 20p's for the phone.
Remember you can call the hospitals League of Friends, who will visit you, shop for you, post letters etc etc. Take stamps if you are writing letters. Also your family can get cheap accomodation nearby if they are visiting you.
All the best, Fran

Ricco
03-Sep-06, 08:46
Hi, Highlander. Hope the hospital thing goes well and you are back with us as soon as possible. I would take a range of different things to keep the interest going. Also, (being a bloke) I would spend some time checking out the nurses... maybe the same is true for women? :D

gee
03-Sep-06, 16:33
if thats the ward you are going into the male nurses are gorgeous mmmmm.
seriously though the staff in aberdeen are lovely, they are really friendly and helpful, when i was there i had no visitors because of distance. nurses used to come into my room and sit with me when they were on their breaks. hope all goes well for you. get well soon

highlander
03-Sep-06, 16:43
Thank you, for all your nice thoughts, well thats the case finally packed, hecks i have packed that much stuff they will think i am going to stay permently, they better give me two lockers by my bed lol.

sweetpea
03-Sep-06, 22:00
This may not be very exciting, but, the only time I was in hospital was like a breath of fresh air. I people watched and had 3 square meals a day and came out feeling good. How sad is that? No seriously though relax everything including your mind and take it as a time to refocus and recharge instead of worrying what it's goin to be like before it happens. Wish you well:)

Moira
03-Sep-06, 23:16
Highlander, all best wishes for your hospital stay. Come back safe & well very soon :D

You could always try telling the nursing staff you feel so well you want to go "surfing" - after their initial shock wears off they might let you borrow a laptop, so that you can log on here ;)