PDA

View Full Version : Scrabster Ferry pick up

bekisman
18-Mar-11, 18:20
Got some friends who live on Orkney coming over to stay - they are using the Stromness to Scrabster link.. they are quite elderly, what's the nearest we can get to the boat with our car? Had a look on the Northlink website, can't find much info

any advice gratefully accepted..

butterfly girl
18-Mar-11, 18:57
Hi you can take your car right down to the ferry terminal where the passangers disembark.

davem
18-Mar-11, 20:04
Just keep left past the security booth, and drive along to the terminal.

Bazeye
18-Mar-11, 22:40
And dont forget to stop before you reach the end.

orkneycadian
19-Mar-11, 10:36
And don't forget to bring your passport in case some over zealous security guard wants to check it!

bekisman
19-Mar-11, 12:21
Thanks folks for the info, which is very helpful.. often wondered why a photographic ID is needed by Northlink to get to Orkney, yet nip along the coast to Gills or JOG and you don't?

orkneycadian
19-Mar-11, 13:03
....... or any other ferry service in the UK!

caithgal
19-Mar-11, 14:57
The northlink ferry operate discounts to islanders so maybe its to ensure noone is getting on the boat at a discount unless they are actually entitled to it

gollach
19-Mar-11, 15:44
The northlink ferry operate discounts to islanders so maybe its to ensure noone is getting on the boat at a discount unless they are actually entitled to it

They ask you for photo id even if you are in possession of a full-price ticket.

ducati
19-Mar-11, 17:06
If you ask 'em nicely they may let you drive onboard once the cars are off. I've seen a taxi do this for a lady in a wheelchair.

Dog-eared
19-Mar-11, 17:24
If you ask 'em nicely they may let you drive onboard once the cars are off. I've seen a taxi do this for a lady in a wheelchair.

Good idea. It's a long walk from the ferry to the terminal main exit doors.
Theres a lift to the car deck on the ferry. I'd contact Northlink and let them arrange things.

bekisman
19-Mar-11, 18:02
Well was in Thurso today, really surprised how quiet it was, but nipped down to Scrabster for a dummy run.. very little notice board information I'm afraid..
Saw the road that runs down to the Ferry, but this had a big sign beside the entrance :'RESTRICTED AREA - PASS HOLDERS ONLY'.. went on to say 'going through without authorisation may be liable to prosecution'.. so thought would ask at the 'control box' no-one in it, so went into the terminal, this was in darkness, no one there either (this was 12.47) so asked a bloke who seemed to be working, what were the parking arrangements, as I was to pick up an elderly couple (not wheelchair bound, simply old) from the Ferry.. "Oh, just drive through that gate" he said indicating. I said "but is says restricted Area" response; "don't take any notice of that, you can drive through anyway"..

Must admit used ports in Dover, Folkestone, Poole, Weymouth, Harwich, Newcastle, Hull, Ramsgate, Holyhead, Cairnryan, Stranraer, Newhaven, Plymouth, Sheerness, Portsmouth, so know our way around these departure ports, but Scrabster - although small - does not seem to be too user friendly..

Tugmistress
19-Mar-11, 18:44
Well was in Thurso today, really surprised how quiet it was, but nipped down to Scrabster for a dummy run.. very little notice board information I'm afraid..
Saw the road that runs down to the Ferry, but this had a big sign beside the entrance :'RESTRICTED AREA - PASS HOLDERS ONLY'.. went on to say 'going through without authorisation may be liable to prosecution'.. so thought would ask at the 'control box' no-one in it, so went into the terminal, this was in darkness, no one there either (this was 12.47) so asked a bloke who seemed to be working, what were the parking arrangements, as I was to pick up an elderly couple (not wheelchair bound, simply old) from the Ferry.. "Oh, just drive through that gate" he said indicating. I said "but is says restricted Area" response; "don't take any notice of that, you can drive through anyway"..

Must admit used ports in Dover, Folkestone, Poole, Weymouth, Harwich, Newcastle, Hull, Ramsgate, Holyhead, Cairnryan, Stranraer, Newhaven, Plymouth, Sheerness, Portsmouth, so know our way around these departure ports, but Scrabster - although small - does not seem to be too user friendly..

Hi Bekisman
that sign went up when the ferry foot passengers were 'bussed up' from the terminal building and there was no walking allowed, it is now redundant due to the service being withdrawn and only general route buses going up at often the not right times lol.
when the ferry has sailed (noon on a saturday) all the staff go home and come in before the next sailing is due hence why you found no one there today.

As you have already been told, just drive through the blue gates and up to the transit building, there is a walkway on your left as you go up the pier itself, pull in to that side there and yuo can park and wait for your passengers there unless you have made arragements to go on to the car deck for them. it is a walk of around 200 to 300 yards from the actual ships gangway to the bottom of the building, there is a lift is they are not comfortable with stairs inside the building.

and yes even though i work there i agree scrabster is not a user friendly port!

bekisman
19-Mar-11, 18:46
Hi Bekisman
that sign went up when the ferry foot passengers were 'bussed up' from the terminal building and there was no walking allowed, it is now redundant due to the service being withdrawn and only general route buses going up at often the not right times lol.
when the ferry has sailed (noon on a saturday) all the staff go home and come in before the next sailing is due hence why you found no one there today.

As you have already been told, just drive through the blue gates and up to the transit building, there is a walkway on your left as you go up the pier itself, pull in to that side there and yuo can park and wait for your passengers there unless you have made arragements to go on to the car deck for them. it is a walk of around 200 to 300 yards from the actual ships gangway to the bottom of the building, there is a lift is they are not comfortable with stairs inside the building.

and yes even though i work there i agree scrabster is not a user friendly port!

Many, many thanks Tugs - all is now clear, a great and clarifying help

Dog-eared
19-Mar-11, 19:29
I don't think it gets any easier than driving onto the ferry and picking them up at the bottom of the lift !
Remember, this is not Felixtowe....;)

bekisman
20-Mar-11, 15:35
Mentioned earlier that it seemed strange that Northlink (alone) required photographic ID to travel to Orkney, seems in 2008 their CEO: " “There is an increasing need for us to do all that we can to ensure that passengers are, indeed, who they say they are. Of top priority is the growing importance of measures to ensure the safety and security of the passengers, crew and vessels. The ability to identify passengers boarding our vessels is a key part of our enhanced awareness and approach to security issues.”

I know that this certainly annoying when casual travellers turn up at Scrabster and find they are refused boarding because they do not have the correct ID - and then the inconvenience of travelling along the coast to Gills and using their (Non-ID) services.. Been reading the survey below, seems quite a few folks over there are non too happy (Our friends use it of course as it's got the 30% discount off their fares, but still wonder why the need for ID).. We've often travelled between UK and Eire "Irish Ferries: Irish and British citizens do not strictly require a passport to travel between the two countries - some form of identification is however required. Photo ID, Bank Cards or bills for house utilities addressed to you are all acceptable and useful means of identification. "

Oh well never mind, must be different up here.

http://www.theheddles.co.uk/business/council/SurveyAnalysisAllApps.pdf

Tugmistress
20-Mar-11, 17:39
A passport isn't required on the northlink ferries, photo id is ideal - driving licence etc but i have known just a bank card be taken as id too.