PDA

View Full Version : Help ideas and info please.

shazzap
18-Mar-11, 11:49
I have just purchased a hanging basket tree, as with not being able to bend my leg, thought this would be easy access. I would like some ideas of what to grow in it please.
I like herbs, strong scented ones, also flowers with a strong scent. I was also musing over tomatoes, chilli's etc. Which of any, of the suggestions, would be easy to grow in a hanging basket. As i am by no stretch of the imagination an expert. Also looking at some vegetables in pots. Again any suggestions appreciated. Thank you in advance. :)

SunnyChick
18-Mar-11, 20:36
Hi Shazzap,

I'm a learner gardener, have only been at it for a few years, and really only know the very basics.

Hanging baskets are a good way to grow plants, without having to worry too much about weeds. The only real difference is that you have to water them a lot more often than you do borders.

Plants I put in my baskets....

Petunias or Pansies - they trail beautifully over the edge of the baket
Vibernum - in the centre for a bit of height, you can get these in really bright colours
Bacopa - has a dainty little flower, and seems happy in a basket or tub

If you want a strong scented plant, then you can't beat sweetpeas as an easy place to start. However, they really prefer to be in the ground I think, with a fence or wall (with a net attached) for them to climb up. They are pretty hardy, and the good thing is that the more you pick them, the more they flower. You can pick them almost daily by the bunch and put in a vase, and that room will smell beautiful for days.

Plants in baskets tend to get nipped by the frost if you plant them out too early (I learned the hard way), so I would probably leave it until end of May before leaving out overnight. However, if you have a way to take them in/shelter them at night, then you can put them out a bit earlier I think.

The staff at Castletown garden centre are really good with plants and willing to share helpful tips.

shazzap
18-Mar-11, 21:28
Thank you SunnyChick. I like the Sweet Pea idea, can you get them in plugs or are they seeds.

Dadie
18-Mar-11, 22:01
Strawberries do well in hanging baskets.
Keeps the slugs off them, and you can get ones that trail down so you could put them in the sides and leave the top for flowers.

SunnyChick
18-Mar-11, 22:50
Hi again,

I've never had much luck growing from seed, but they were really good last year when I brought as wee plug plants from from Castletown Garden Centre - x6 plants covered a section about 6' x6' with loads flowering, all colours intermingling - simply stunning :O) x

shazzap
18-Mar-11, 22:58
Thank you Dadie and SunnyChick. Keep the ideas coming. Oh by the way when do you plant the plants you have mentioned so far.

Scunner
18-Mar-11, 23:42
You will get sweet peas for hanging baskets. Busy Lizzies are exellent in baskets and can last for ages. If you can keep the baskets inside, plant them up now and gradually harden them off. use water jel mixed in with the compost and it helps retain the water.

Look on the web sites, Gardening Direct, Suttons, Thomson and Morgan, Jersey plants for plants for baskets and ideas for planting

shazzap
18-Mar-11, 23:57
Thank you Scunner.

SunnyChick
19-Mar-11, 11:18
I usually plant them as soon as they become available in the garden centre, but as Scunner suggests, it's definately a good idea to keep them cosy at night for a wee while yet.

I generally use a local garden centre instead of Tesco/Homebase as I think the plants are better guality.

Dadie
20-Mar-11, 01:45
buzy lizzies and sweetpeas etc are usually ok if hardened off under glass..in a cold frame or put out for part of the day/night beforehand..

Mil
22-Mar-11, 00:03
Sweet peas are very much hardier than busy lizzies and benefit from being grown as cool as possible.

shazzap
22-Mar-11, 00:20
Sweet peas are very much hardier than busy lizzies and benefit from being grown as cool as possible.
May sound a silly question. Do you make a hole through the coconut type stuff. Than shove the Sweet Peas through that way. Cheers.

linda.borgie
05-Apr-11, 21:00
I love to plant edibles in baskets, tubs and boxes. works really well and takes no more work than if you plant flowers but with way more benefits!
salad leaves - the cut and come again variety - ab fab!
raddish, spring onions, bush toms, courgettes anything you want really
peas from a basket - they just grow down instead of up!
I'm Torrisdale Tunnel with a page on facebook, we are very small but our stuff is all grown from seed, good and hardy and we don't charge the earth!