PDA

View Full Version : And now for someone very different

Kingetter
01-Sep-06, 10:04
Liz Lochhead

A versatile and prolific writer and entertainer.
http://www.contemporarywriters.com/authors/profile/?p=auth154

Bill Fernie
02-Sep-06, 14:58
I note your recommendation but is this sort of posting not rather pointless unless you go into some detail about the author and the works. The author could easily be found by anyone searching the web. You have not made any references to particularly good points about the author or the works.

I am going to be even more blunt about these on liners in later postings if I have time to read them as they take time to trawl through to come out with nothing at the end. Perhaps it is time to call for a limit to the number of postings each day or week in order to reduce their number by making folk take longer to consider what and how often they post.

I am not in often enough to read them all but the one liner trivia seems to be continually increasing. Could these types of postings where others are coming swiftly in not be done via the chat rooms as there seems little point in the postings in a forum if the people are all in at once.

Ann
02-Sep-06, 20:42
Good idea Bill and it takes up less time for the participants as well as they can have their discussion in real time and get more from it.

Kingetter
03-Sep-06, 20:55
I wish to address what you have written and am not attempting to be argumentative.
I wanted to see more of other people’s views before posting mine.
I will endeavour to do this point by point.
What is the point?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I note your recommendation but is this sort of posting not rather pointless unless you go into some detail about the author and the works. The author could easily be found by anyone searching the web. You have not made any references to particularly good points about the author or the works."
Does the following mention ‘particularly good points’? –
A versatile and prolific writer and entertainer
I believe I have qualified my message which was –
Liz Lochhead

A versatile and prolific writer and entertainer.
http://www.contemporarywriters.com/a...ile/?p=auth154 (http://www.contemporarywriters.com/authors/profile/?p=auth154)
I’ve commented on the person, and provided a reference to go to for those who may not know her. What gets discussed following that is not my choice. I won’t tell people what they must read, only what I think they might like.

"I am going to be even more blunt about these on liners in later postings if I have time to read them as they take time to trawl through to come out with nothing at the end."
Actually, and without being pedantic, I count 3 rows with text., name, comment and reference.

"Perhaps it is time to call for a limit to the number of postings each day or week in order to reduce their number by making folk take longer to consider what and how often they post."
Are you saying that rationing is necessary? Is there a note here that this forum in all its divergent parts is outstripping the resources available? I wonder why the Mods cannot take the responsibility of monitoring content so you don’t have to? With a growing membership as I believe it probably is, more delegation becomes necessary surely?

"I am not in often enough to read them all but the one liner trivia seems to be continually increasing. Could these types of postings where others are coming swiftly in not be done via the chat rooms as there seems little point in the postings in a forum if the people are all in at once."
I personally do not ‘do chatrooms’. My choice and my reasons are my own but do not affect the issue of whether Literature could reasonably and/or realistically be discussed in a chat-room. I happen to feel a chat-room is not suitable because I think people should have the opportunity to respond to one item when they please, not by some rule or other, allbeit democratic.
When I applied for the Literature Board, I had my own thoughts and those who’s comments had been made to me, either on the General Board, or by PM. My ‘thing’ was writing, not being a critic. Interest shown by others seemed to indicate a liking for things to read first and foremost, discussion was secondary. It was also an opportunity for inexperienced writers to try out putting something on show. But it is still early days and I don’t somehow feel that all the ‘one-liners’ on this board are as meaningless or common as some complete threads on the main board, but, that is only my opinion, not one I’m going to argue about.

On another note, I will state that I personally am most appreciative of the Forum, and of the agreement to create a Literature Board. In that last respect, I am not alone. So thank you very much, but please don’t upset what might become a good advertisement for Caithness.org. There is at least one Mod who has shown Literary interest – maybe that person could monitor the Lit Board?
Kind regards.
James.

canuck
04-Sep-06, 18:15
I note your recommendation but is this sort of posting not rather pointless unless you go into some detail about the author and the works. The author could easily be found by anyone searching the web. You have not made any references to particularly good points about the author or the works.

I am going to be even more blunt about these on liners in later postings if I have time to read them as they take time to trawl through to come out with nothing at the end. Perhaps it is time to call for a limit to the number of postings each day or week in order to reduce their number by making folk take longer to consider what and how often they post.

I am not in often enough to read them all but the one liner trivia seems to be continually increasing. Could these types of postings where others are coming swiftly in not be done via the chat rooms as there seems little point in the postings in a forum if the people are all in at once.

I'm guilty.

Gleber2
04-Sep-06, 21:24
Mea culpa and unrepentant!!!!!