PDA

View Full Version : Drugs supply trial

Nwicker60
17-Mar-11, 10:37
Wick man convicted of supplying drugs

A WICK man, accused of supplying drugs, strenuously denied he was guilty.
Alexander Green told the court that he never gave Julie Webster and her then boyfriend, Mark Gunn, a blister pack with morphine sulphate tablets in a roadside handover in the town.
However, the trial at Wick Sheriff Court was told, previously, that the meeting did take place and had a dramatic sequel. Ms Webster and Mr Gunn, who gave evidence, were said to have overdosed when they later took other drugs, on top of the tablets, but survived after being rushed south to a Glasgow hospital for treatment.
Green, 39, of Coach Road, Wick, pleaded not guilty, at the opening part of the trial, last month, to supplying the Class A drug at the kerbside meeting at the junction of Dunnet Avenue and Henrietta Street, in Wick, on October 13, last year.
He told police at the time, that he knew nothing of the offence and confirmed to a resumed trial, yesterday, that this remained his position. Finger prints and DNA were provided by Green to police officers but no forensic evidence was submitted to the court. Even if the blister pack had been tested, the accused said, it would not have provided a match incriminating him, as he had had nothing to do with supplying drugs.
Cross-examined by senior fiscal depute, David Barclay, Green said he regarded Julie Webster as a friend and knew Mark Gunn to speak to or wave to in the passing.
Mr Barclay: “It is clear from what you have said, that we have heard two completely different versions of events. Is it perhaps the case that Julie and Mark have got their evidence right and you have not?”
Green: “No...definitely not.”
Mr Barclay:” It is fair to say, that I could stand here all day and you would continue to say ‘it was not me'.”
Green: “It was not me that did it. I can’t speak to something, I didn’t do.”
Sheriff Andrew Berry described the evidence of Ms Webster and Mr Gunn as “clear, credible and reliable and reliable” and told the accused: “It was consistent enough for me to draw the conclusion, beyond reasonable doubt, that you are guilty of this offence.”
Green, who has a number of previous convictions, will be sentenced on April 26 after the sheriff considers background reports.