PDA

View Full Version : The religious issue in your Census Form

The Happy Humanist
16-Mar-11, 23:24
I know there is already a thread on filling in the census form online, but I feel this merits a special mention
Could I encourage orgers to think hard before they answer the question on religion in the census on March 27th?
Census data is used to justify government policies, and it’s best for everyone if the data they collect is accurate.
In the form it says "What religion, religious denomination or body do you belong to?" which might suggest that people put the religion of their parents or their childhood. In 2001, I think I did this myself, putting Church of Scotland probably, even though I had no religious faith, but thinking well I was christened and went to Sunday School!
Please don't think this is an attempt to undermine religious faith, not at all, people who know me will know that's not my style, but many people these days say they're not religious. If this is you please tick the 'none' box when you answer the question on religion and please don't put Jedi unless you really channel the Force!
Thanks for reading:D

joxville
16-Mar-11, 23:31
Or become a dude. :D

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=40869346127

orkneycadian
16-Mar-11, 23:31
Oh er, and I went and put Orger! [para]

gleeber
16-Mar-11, 23:34
Interestingly enough I had this conversation with an 80 year old friend just a couple of hours ago. He was intent on ticking other Christian because he was baptised into the Church of England when he was young. He's not strictly a Christian in the sense that he believes the biblical story of Jesus although he feels a part of the morality spread by the church.
He still intends ticking the other Christian box because he feels it's a fundamental part of his life.
Perhaps it is?

The Happy Humanist
16-Mar-11, 23:43
Interestingly enough I had this conversation with an 80 year old friend just a couple of hours ago. He was intent on ticking other Christian because he was baptised into the Church of England when he was young. He's not strictly a Christian in the sense that he believes the biblical story of Jesus although he feels a part of the morality spread by the church.
He still intends ticking the other Christian box because he feels it's a fundamental part of his life.
Perhaps it is?
Its good to know people are talking about it... that's the important thing :-)

theone
17-Mar-11, 00:32
I think you make an important point.

Many people might, without thinking about it, class themselves as being from the faith they were brought up with regardless of their current beliefs or practices.

ducati
17-Mar-11, 08:32
I was born a Jedi, and I will er....... transend the flesh a Jedi!:cool:

RecQuery
17-Mar-11, 09:04
If you write in anything even a nonsensical religion it will still count as religious; all those Jedi were counted when allocating stuff to religious institutions and I'm sure a ton on people marked 'Christian' and have never been to a church in their lives. Even if you write in Atheist or Humanist it will still count as a religion.

Unless you actually practice a religion just mark the 'No religion' box.

brandy
17-Mar-11, 09:10
i just wonder how long have they had the religion question on a census? its not on any census ive seen yet in my genealogy searches. so just curious as to when it came about.

achingale
17-Mar-11, 12:58
Oh er, and I went and put Orger! [para]

Just brilliant! I never thought of that but I guess I am...an Orger!

Bazeye
17-Mar-11, 19:22
I wont be ticking any box. Im sure the Government have more than enough information about me as it is.

ShelleyCowie
17-Mar-11, 22:18
I was born a Jedi, and I will er....... transend the flesh a Jedi!:cool:

ME 2!!!! Jedi all the way! Lol

RecQuery
18-Mar-11, 09:18
That's all well and cute I suppose but it's hardly a protest or a wise idea. If you write anything in that box it counts as religious and then pundits get to say things like "We're a religious country" and put on more religious programmes etc.

orkneycadian
18-Mar-11, 09:38
If you write anything in that box it counts as religious and then pundits get to say things like "We're a religious country" and put on more religious programmes etc.

As the percentage of folk practising the Islamic faith is increasing by the day, then this is a foregone conclusion. I have heard predictions that by 2050, Islam will be the predominant religion in this country.

pmcd
18-Mar-11, 09:59
Aye - can you imagine the Wee Free Sunnis of Thurso taking on the might of the Presbyterian Fundamentalist Shi'ites from Wick, egged on by the Procurating Caliph of Caithness, Sheikh Imam Douggie Mc Bin Haram of Portgower? The mind boggles!