PDA

View Full Version : How much exercise do you get?

SunnyChick
16-Mar-11, 09:14
Hey folks,

I've become more self aware this year, and am trying to improve my overall health/fitness. :)

So I wondered, what do all the rest of your orgers do to stay in shape, or not? Do you have an exercise regime, or do you shy away from sweat?

dragonfly
16-Mar-11, 10:07
I've had a lifelong battle with my weight but have decided that I have to make lifestyle changes now that I am approaching 50, so I have cut back on the amount of wine I drink (used to drink about 2 bottles per week, now a glass once a month!), I've joined the gym and have beeen going 2-3 times a week and doing a little on the rowing machine, bike and treadmill as well as some of the weight machines and I've got my DS Walk with Me pedometer on measuring my steps so know if I am hitting my 10k per day or not, so far, apart from having probs with my achilles tendon have found it rather enjoyable and have lost a good bit of weight too. I've not cut back on the amount I eat, just making better choices, eating far more fish than before and replacing chips/wedges/potatoes with couscous, rice or puy lentils

I'm even considering going to aqua aerobics now as was watching it on Monday morning after the gym and it looked like fun

JustMe
16-Mar-11, 10:12
I would suspect a lot of orgers with the amount of posts they make " Get a lot of finger exercise " Does that count [smirk]

ShelleyCowie
16-Mar-11, 10:18
I go to the gym. I absolutely love going actually :) Go on the cross trainer, rowing machine and weights mainly. Also running round after my kids and hubby is exercise too! haha!

SunnyChick
16-Mar-11, 10:24
Wow, Dragonfly - you are really putting in a lot of effort!

I've been making a conscious effort this year to do more. Also eating/drinking in proportion and more sensibly, which makes a huge difference.

I do yoga once a week, badminton once or twice a week, just dance (on the wii) every now and then, and get outdoors at the weekends with the kids. I started doing DVD workouts more recently, but I get bored of them quickly and they are pretty hard core exercise. I find that vigorous housework helps - not only keeps you active, but I love a clean house!

I go for a ski when I can, but only manage a few days each year unfortunately. Gave myself whiplash last weekend when I crashed skiing :~( so am having to take it easy this week. Going to goo for a walk this morning as the sun is shining, don't think I'll break into a jog though as want to take care of my neck.

Recently I've had the occasional half hour lunge lesson at Lyth riding stables too. :D

lexie
16-Mar-11, 10:33
Monday and Wednesday nights Zumba, swimming 32L X four times a week! oh and walk the beastie !!

shazzap
16-Mar-11, 11:51
Any suggestions for some one who can't bend a leg, would be appreciated.:) I can't walk far either.:(
Could do to lose some weight, but don't know what to do.:confused

SunnyChick
16-Mar-11, 12:00
Hi Shazzap,

If your weight is affecting your ability to exercise, then I can recommend something which has helped me shift over a stone in weight, in just 8 weeks. (I will PM you).

It can't be easy to get exercise when you have difficulties in your mobility. Have you ever spoken to a physio?

Yoga is a gentle way to exercise and many postures can be adapted to suit individuals who have difficulties in certain areas (i.e. weak wrists, bad backs or painful knees). If you are interested then I can put you in touch with my instructor, (who is wonderful by the way)! I really do believe that yoga exercises my soul as much as it does my body!

Hope that helps xx

Geo
16-Mar-11, 12:28
I need to lose a huge amount of weight. Exercise is difficult as the weight is affecting my lower back and I end up in total agony. I'd like to go swimming but am too embarassed because of my size. I lost 1 st 7 lbs mid January to the end of February which was great however the "diet mode" I was in just disappeared one day and now I'm struggling to stop snacking.

shazzap
16-Mar-11, 14:12
FAO Sunnychick

Thank you for thinking of me and the PM.

I would though have a very long way to come, to attend your sessions.
I am not grossly over weight, but have put on weight since being disabled and having my thyroid nuked.
I eat quite sensibly, but do have a sweet tooth. Which i have to curb.

SunnyChick
16-Mar-11, 14:16
Shazzap, you are very welcome. The plan I was telling you about is available online/from home.

I do like sweet things too. I've got a home-made ice-cream cake in the freezer calling my name... but I shall resist, for now anyway!

shazzap
16-Mar-11, 14:34
Shazzap, you are very welcome. The plan I was telling you about is available online/from home.

I do like sweet things too. I've got a home-made ice-cream cake in the freezer calling my name... but I shall resist, for now anyway!

SunnyChick......................Shut up. :lol:. Home made ice cream cake.:~(

weezer 316
16-Mar-11, 14:47
I need to lose a huge amount of weight. Exercise is difficult as the weight is affecting my lower back and I end up in total agony. I'd like to go swimming but am too embarassed because of my size. I lost 1 st 7 lbs mid January to the end of February which was great however the "diet mode" I was in just disappeared one day and now I'm struggling to stop snacking.

Im not a fitness guru but if you wish to lose weight dont swim. Swimming is excellent for your cardio, but to burn calories you need to put stress on your body. I'd walk if I was you, do it every other day and lengthen the distance every other time you go out.

That and eat plenty pasta, as its good for energy and makes you feel fuller for longer

weezer 316
16-Mar-11, 14:49
I play football once a week, usually go to the gym once, maybe twice, also road run a fair bit although less in the winter. Also, cycle into work and back, 2 miles each way and home for lunch, which is about 40 miles a week, although my bike is busted just now.

Tristan
16-Mar-11, 17:23
Strength training, kettlebell or crossfit traing 2-3 days per week. Climbing the other days with one active rest day.

oldmarine
16-Mar-11, 19:15
Hey folks,

I've become more self aware this year, and am trying to improve my overall health/fitness. :)

So I wondered, what do all the rest of your orgers do to stay in shape, or not? Do you have an exercise regime, or do you shy away from sweat?

At 85 years of age I have cut back a bit on my exercise. I walk daily in the mornings and swim in the afternoons. I am a diabetic and need all the exercise I can get on with. You have the correct attitude. Sweat does not hurt any one.

ducati
16-Mar-11, 19:41
Two collies nuff said

DeHaviLand
16-Mar-11, 21:16
To stay in shape, I drink too much, smoke too much and eat too much. Hey, round is a shape too!

cazmanian_minx
16-Mar-11, 21:26
I go running. Took it up in February last year, doing the Couch to 5K program, hated the first three weeks, then got hooked. Did my first half marathon last weekend :)

brandy
16-Mar-11, 22:18
i was thinking about the couch to 5k program.. but i cant run to save my life! im planning on digging out the mp3 player and giving it a go though!

joxville
16-Mar-11, 22:47
It may surprise you, but I have no need to exercise, being a natural Adonis I don't need to 'pump iron' or diet. Not many are born amazing like me, you have my sympathies and support in trying to reach my plateau. :)

Corrie 3
16-Mar-11, 22:47
I keep slim and trim by reading all the Troll threads on the .Org that spring up from time to time......Phew, its tough but someones got to do it!!

C3....:roll:;):lol:

George Brims
17-Mar-11, 01:56
We adopted a dog ten days ago, and he is walking us half to death! I am hoping weight loss/increased fitness will follow. Of course we may just remain unfit and tired forever...

cazmanian_minx
17-Mar-11, 07:47
i was thinking about the couch to 5k program.. but i cant run to save my life! im planning on digging out the mp3 player and giving it a go though!

I couldn't when I started either and I absolutely despaired of being able to make it through a whole 3 minutes of running - then someone gave me the best tip ever; do the running bits slowly. Speed comes later :)

oldmarine
17-Mar-11, 15:06
It may surprise you, but I have no need to exercise, being a natural Adonis I don't need to 'pump iron' or diet. Not many are born amazing like me, you have my sympathies and support in trying to reach my plateau. :)

joxville: Don't crow too soon. I used to feel the same as you, but then after I aged (I am now 85 years), I discovered I needed some form of exercise. Everyone ages day by day.

Bazeye
17-Mar-11, 19:17
Physical exercise is good for you. We know that we should do it daily, but our bodies don't want us to do too much, so here's a program of strenuous activities that do not require physical exercise.

01) Beating around the bush
02) Jumping to conclusions
03) Climbing the walls
04) Swallowing your pride
05) Passing the buck
06) Throwing your weight around
07) Dragging your heels
08) Pushing your luck
09) Making mountains out of molehills
10) Hitting the nail on the head
11) Wading through paperwork
12) Bending over backwards
13) Jumping on the bandwagon
14) Balancing the books
15) Running around in circles
16) Eating crow
17) Tooting your own horn
18) Climbing the ladder of success
19) Pulling out all the stops
20) Adding fuel to the fire
21) Opening a can of worms
22) Putting your foot in your mouth
23) Starting the ball rolling
24) Going over the edge
25) Picking up the pieces

George Brims
17-Mar-11, 19:46
Physical exercise is good for you. We know that we should do it daily, but our bodies don't want us to do too much, so here's a program of strenuous activities that do not require physical exercise.

01) Beating around the bush
02) Jumping to conclusions
03) Climbing the walls
04) Swallowing your pride
05) Passing the buck
06) Throwing your weight around
07) Dragging your heels
08) Pushing your luck
09) Making mountains out of molehills
10) Hitting the nail on the head
11) Wading through paperwork
12) Bending over backwards
13) Jumping on the bandwagon
14) Balancing the books
15) Running around in circles
16) Eating crow
17) Tooting your own horn
18) Climbing the ladder of success
19) Pulling out all the stops
20) Adding fuel to the fire
21) Opening a can of worms
22) Putting your foot in your mouth
23) Starting the ball rolling
24) Going over the edge
25) Picking up the pieces

I hate to nitpick, but you forgot nitpicking.

SunnyChick
17-Mar-11, 22:17
Ha ha! Love that Bazeye, very good humour!

Couch to 5k sounds interesting. Does anyone have a handy link, please?

I did a gentle half hour walk yesterday although at times I was tempted to have a wee jog, however refrained (knock to the head last week so taking it easy)!

lynne duncan
17-Mar-11, 23:22
www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

SunnyChick
18-Mar-11, 09:51
Many thanks! Will check it out asap xx