PDA

View Full Version : Cats messing all over my garden

edayhouse
16-Mar-11, 08:11
As the title says and i have had enough of it now - i have a ultra sonic machine type thing but they still keep coming in and making a mess everywhere that i then stood in yesterday and walked all through my house! Not very happy!

Any suggestions please?
(There was an old thread but i cant find it anymore think it was on the recommendations site)
Thanks in advance

SunnyChick
16-Mar-11, 09:01
I have this problem in my own garden, by my own cat! She uses the box beds we made last summer as her toilet! Not good!

It's the compost/soil cats particularly likes to use, so this year I am going to put a layer of weed barrier on top (with holes cut around the plants) and then some decorative gravel as I hope this might help.

However, if you have a lot of borders, then this is a bit of an expensing solution, which may or may not work.

A water pistol might help if you catch the offending puss in action!

kgs
16-Mar-11, 09:43
They will just use the gravel instead. If you plant some plants with a citrus smell that sometimes works or there are granuals that you can put down that can put them off (usually available in a pet shop, cant remember the name).

SunnyChick
16-Mar-11, 09:46
Hmm, that's not so good then. Must look into these granules thing then!

Alternatively put your plants really quite close together, with lots of ground coverage and this will not only keep weeds down, and you won't be able to see the cat turds so easily!

Doreen
16-Mar-11, 10:00
I have the same p[roblem and my garden stinks of cat dirt and i dont even have a cat and it is so frustrating because when my two little grandchildren come over im always worried when they go out to play incase they get it over them .

nicnak
16-Mar-11, 10:37
Get an outside dog, that doesn't like cats that should do the job! lol

Beat Bug
16-Mar-11, 10:54
Cats are creatures of habit, so once they start using a place as a toilet, they keep coming back there. I used to use a spray called Cat-a-pult, and I've also used the gel granules, but I can't remember the name. Both work well.

John Little
16-Mar-11, 11:00
Cat pepper sprinkled round. From the pet shop.

Torvaig
16-Mar-11, 11:03
Get an outside dog, that doesn't like cats that should do the job! lol

Yes, they don't stay long with a dog roaming around.

Ben considers himself a watch dog and there is one cat in particular that loves to cross his yard at 30mph (Ben only does 25mph) and disappear over the 5ft ranch fencing laughing its head off all the way down the street!

Meanwhile Ben marches back to his look-out post (cosy mat at the back door) with a triumphant look on his face. :)

tonkatojo
16-Mar-11, 11:18
Yes, they don't stay long with a dog roaming around.

Ben considers himself a watch dog and there is one cat in particular that loves to cross his yard at 30mph (Ben only does 25mph) and disappear over the 5ft ranch fencing laughing its head off all the way down the street!

Meanwhile Ben marches back to his look-out post (cosy mat at the back door) with a triumphant look on his face. :)

Get some salmon nylon fishing net, put across the yard where the cat takes off to jump, see who's laughing after that.;)

achingale
16-Mar-11, 11:20
Good old fashioned pepper round all your perimeters should do the trick but I do know that water pistols also work. Just a matter of waiting, pointing, shooting then watch as the cat scurries off, totally unharmed. Hope you get it sorted out. It is not nice.

The Angel Of Death
16-Mar-11, 11:22
Landmines cat will only squat over it once and once only

;)

pat
16-Mar-11, 11:40
I used to use one of those high power water soaker pistols - worked and eventually cats do not come near my flower beds.
Put the cat pepper around the whole garden or in the places where you do not want it to go

Or get some lion/tiger poo from the zoo next time you are in Edinburgh, the big cats scent may scare them off.

shazzap
16-Mar-11, 11:46
I also use water as a deterrent. Also small nails on top of my fence to stop them getting over.

Puzzled
16-Mar-11, 13:31
small nails on top of my fence to stop them getting over.

Deliberately harming a cut is disgusting.

Puzzled
16-Mar-11, 13:35
"Ill Treatment" under the Protection of Animals Act 1911 and later legislation up to the 1970s, defined that any person commits an offence who "cruelly ill-treats, beats, kicks, infuriates, terrifies; carries, or conveys in a manner to cause unnecessary suffering". Also anyone who commits any act that will cause unnecessary suffering or who causes anyone to do any of these things; or an owner who allowed someone else to do these things to his cat. It also applied to anyone who, through cruelty caused any damage or injury to someone's cat (this included compensation payable to the owner).

tonkatojo
16-Mar-11, 13:50
"Ill Treatment" under the Protection of Animals Act 1911 and later legislation up to the 1970s, defined that any person commits an offence who "cruelly ill-treats, beats, kicks, infuriates, terrifies; carries, or conveys in a manner to cause unnecessary suffering". Also anyone who commits any act that will cause unnecessary suffering or who causes anyone to do any of these things; or an owner who allowed someone else to do these things to his cat. It also applied to anyone who, through cruelty caused any damage or injury to someone's cat (this included compensation payable to the owner).

What rights does a property owner have against animals abusing gardens, just curious, and does the compensation ruling work both ways ??.

shazzap
16-Mar-11, 14:17
Deliberately harming a cut is disgusting.

So all properties, offices and industrial works that used barbed wire are disgusting then.

Kodiak
16-Mar-11, 14:18
One thing most cats hate is the smell of Orange. Place pieces of Orange Peel around your garden and the offending Cat/s usually get the message and go elsewhere. Well worth a try and it also means tou will be getting the benefit of eating a nice juicy Orange.

Doreen
16-Mar-11, 14:19
So its ok for my grankids to get cat muck on them and get ill even if its on my own property also it is very dangerous for pregnant women.

Puzzled
16-Mar-11, 14:23
So its ok for my grankids to get cat muck on them and get ill even if its on my own property also it is very dangerous for pregnant women.

Only stating the law. Find unharmful methods of deterring - they exist!

"The situation regarding trespass was clarified in 1971 and cats once more became "free spirits" under the law. Cats were excluded from the definitions of "livestock" and of "cattle" under the Animals Act 1971, "they cannot be held guilty of trespass under civil law and, therefore, their owners or keepers cannot be liable for any damage done".

The Animals Act, 1971 had caused anxiety among cat owners. It concerned liability for damage caused by domestic animals straying on the highway - showing that the motorcar was well and truly a fact of modern life. To bring a case, a party had to prove that the owner had negligently allowed their pet to stray and this probably could not be proved in the case of cats - it was (and still is) accepted that cats are wanderers by nature. Aviary owners knew that it was up to them to secure their birds from marauding cats. Gardeners had (and still have) no redress when a cat dug up their plants. These people could be convicted of cruelty if in their rage they injured or killed their neighbour’s cat."

slinky
16-Mar-11, 14:40
toy snakes littler then over ur garden scare em off :)

tonkatojo
16-Mar-11, 14:58
Only stating the law. Find unharmful methods of deterring - they exist!

"The situation regarding trespass was clarified in 1971 and cats once more became "free spirits" under the law. Cats were excluded from the definitions of "livestock" and of "cattle" under the Animals Act 1971, "they cannot be held guilty of trespass under civil law and, therefore, their owners or keepers cannot be liable for any damage done".

The Animals Act, 1971 had caused anxiety among cat owners. It concerned liability for damage caused by domestic animals straying on the highway - showing that the motorcar was well and truly a fact of modern life. To bring a case, a party had to prove that the owner had negligently allowed their pet to stray and this probably could not be proved in the case of cats - it was (and still is) accepted that cats are wanderers by nature. Aviary owners knew that it was up to them to secure their birds from marauding cats. Gardeners had (and still have) no redress when a cat dug up their plants. These people could be convicted of cruelty if in their rage they injured or killed their neighbour’s cat."

I think it would be what the eye didn't see and say nowt if I had that problem (which I don't) and sod them.

onecalledk
16-Mar-11, 15:02
my sister had this problem and got some pellets from the garden centre near her. They are meant to give the impression that a larger animal lives there and puts the cats off , as far as I am aware they work and she has had no probs.

Orange peel/citrus peel will also work as well .

K

donnick
16-Mar-11, 16:16
(I have a cat and dogs )I think the water idea might helps if you set out a sprinkler and blast the cast with water from the comfort off your arm chair they usually dont like water give them a wee fight and not hurt in any way ,also see people with a half filled coke bottle with water not sure what that ment to do but have see people use it as a deterent in their gardens.

lindsaymcc
16-Mar-11, 17:49
The half filled coke bottle thing is because it causes reflections at night that scare the cats away. My aunt has used them successfully in the past.

oldchemist
16-Mar-11, 18:16
A lead injection should do the trick.

mey999
16-Mar-11, 18:26
spray with diluted jeyes fluid where cats are soiling then pond meshing across borders and open soil areas thus does work!

orkneycadian
16-Mar-11, 19:20
my sister had this problem and got some pellets from the garden centre near her.

Your local field sports shop will have some pellets that will do the trick too! ;)

nicnak
16-Mar-11, 21:42
Puzzled , I think you are overreacting somewhat, nobody was seriously considering hurting a a cat, I have cats and adore mine , folk were just having a laugh so chill out! ;)

bagpuss
16-Mar-11, 23:21
they hate curry powder sprinkled on their walkways

Puzzled
16-Mar-11, 23:35
Puzzled , I think you are overreacting somewhat, nobody was seriously considering hurting a a cat, I have cats and adore mine , folk were just having a laugh so chill out! ;)

Not sure about that - sounded as though some would!

JimH
17-Mar-11, 00:19
A Shotgun works EVERYTIME!

Moira
17-Mar-11, 00:35
Like other posters here I can vouch for the fact that having a dog around helps deter feline visitors.

Since our old boy departed for Doggy Heaven a couple of years ago I've sprinkled Tescos Chilli Powder in the flower beds. Result - no cats digging or poo-ing. :)

(Life is not quite the same though, I mean, who wants to take a tub of Chilli Powder for a walk...? ;) )

shazzap
17-Mar-11, 00:42
Like other posters here I can vouch for the fact that having a dog around helps deter feline visitors.

Since our old boy departed for Doggy Heaven a couple of years ago I've sprinkled Tescos Chilli Powder in the flower beds. Result - no cats digging or poo-ing. :)

(Life is not quite the same though, I mean, who wants to take a tub of Chilli Powder for a walk...? ;) )

My dog just sits and looks at them Moira.

John Little
17-Mar-11, 07:53
My dog just sits and looks at them Moira.

Your dog should read its job description...

Bazeye
17-Mar-11, 19:26
Sprinkle some catnip about.

shazzap
17-Mar-11, 19:48
Your dog should read its job description...

Well he's from Orkney, what do you expect. Manana.

shazzap
17-Mar-11, 19:54
Sprinkle some catnip about.

I thought they liked that.

John Little
17-Mar-11, 20:54
Well he's from Orkney, what do you expect. Manana.

From Orkney! Ah well that explains it...

Ricco
17-Mar-11, 21:13
I have used a pump-up water rifle to great effect. Also terrific fun! All the cats now give my garden a wide berth!

http://images.hobbytron.com/F-73PVC-lg.jpg

Tangerine-Dream
18-Mar-11, 08:34
Throw stones at them or fire a hose on them... they don't like either and won't come back.

Dadie
18-Mar-11, 09:12
Sharp twigs or netting on borders and freshly turned over soil.
Water pistol if you see the offending creature in your garden.
Could try the plastic snakes in the grass...my cat plays with them so its not guarranteed!
Lion poop, curry powder etc....
not catnip unless you put it in your neighbours garden (some cats cant quite get enough of a catnip fix) to move the problem over the wall!