PDA

View Full Version : Hi there all

AliciaMackinnon
15-Mar-11, 21:12
Im not quite sure where to post this but here goes....

My mother in law has a coal fire and so has a coal bunker outside round the back (you have to go threw the back gate to get to it!).

For the last 2 months or so there has been evidance of coal going missing, not only that but there is often coal left all the way down the back path and out the gate!

The other thing that is rather annoying... not only is there coal going missing but who ever it is, is leaving the gate open too!!! My mother in law has two dogs that would take the oportunity to flee if the gate was left open!

We are not sure if the gate is left open on purpose but we also suspect that it could be left that way to get my mother in law in trouble for her dogs!!!

Not sure what to do... I thought about putting a letter threw everyone's door (who lives here) That said that we have relised this and if it doen't stop the police will have to be called! My mother in law has done nothing to anyone and minds her own business and now she is having to put up with a theif!!

Please tell me if there is something that you think we can do!

annemarie482
15-Mar-11, 21:20
i dont know anyone that hasn't got padlocks on the top and bottom of the bunker!
this is the worst time of year for coal theft as its so expensive and theres not much the police can do unless you catch them on video.
i had mine stolen in keiss a few years ago.
seen the footprints in the snow!!!
and it's not always locals.
the person that stole mine climbed over our wall and had a car to take it away.
padlocks top and bottom is your answer.

Droopy
15-Mar-11, 21:28
Im not quite sure where to post this but here goes....

My mother in law has a coal fire and so has a coal bunker outside round the back (you have to go threw the back gate to get to it!).

For the last 2 months or so there has been evidance of coal going missing, not only that but there is often coal left all the way down the back path and out the gate!

The other thing that is rather annoying... not only is there coal going missing but who ever it is, is leaving the gate open too!!! My mother in law has two dogs that would take the oportunity to flee if the gate was left open!

We are not sure if the gate is left open on purpose but we also suspect that it could be left that way to get my mother in law in trouble for her dogs!!!

Not sure what to do... I thought about putting a letter threw everyone's door (who lives here) That said that we have relised this and if it doen't stop the police will have to be called! My mother in law has done nothing to anyone and minds her own business and now she is having to put up with a theif!!

Please tell me if there is something that you think we can do!

WOW...this is quite a thread to start, wheres chordie when we need him/her....:lol:

John Little
15-Mar-11, 21:32
One of those shed alarms too perhaps - so that if anyone opens the lid the alarm sounds.

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?client=safari&rls=en&q=shed+alarm&oe=UTF-8&redir_esc=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=15251083248486322096&sa=X&ei=Wcx_TfXzHIXKhAfnxpibBw&ved=0CDYQ8wIwAA#ps-sellers

Then she might see who's doing it - or the neighbours might.

starfish
15-Mar-11, 21:44
borrow or buy a cheap video camera and just leace it running of a night the publish your finding and let everyone know how it is i think once someone steals they loss all there rights

equusdriving
15-Mar-11, 22:11
I would doctor a couple of pieces of coal (by maybe drilling a hole in them emptying the contents of some kids gun caps or snappets/ fireworks/bangers/shotgun cartridges depending on how peeved you are ) and make sure they are allways on the top/near the door (making sure that you can spot them)

ducati
15-Mar-11, 22:27
WOW...this is quite a thread to start, wheres chordie when we need him/her....:lol:

Eh.. 230 posts? :confused

Dog-eared
15-Mar-11, 22:29
I know someone who was having peats pinched. Took the shot out of a 12 bore cartridge and inserted the cartridge carefully in the peat. Result.

This was a made up story, of course .....

ducati
15-Mar-11, 22:38
Much more entertaining to leave the shot in, or paint a handgranade black :eek:

AliciaMackinnon
15-Mar-11, 22:53
I know someone who was having peats pinched. Took the shot out of a 12 bore cartridge and inserted the cartridge carefully in the peat. Result.

This was a made up story, of course .....

My husband's granny in Skye did that to her peat! Then burnt it herself lol!!!

orkneycadian
15-Mar-11, 23:34
Bloody foxes!

Torvaig
15-Mar-11, 23:36
One of those lights that are sensitive to movement would hopefully put them off but I certainly would not want your M-I-L going out to challenge them.

equusdriving
15-Mar-11, 23:46
but I certainly would not want your M-I-L going out to challenge them.

No but feel free to use my one

Angel
15-Mar-11, 23:59
My granddad had this problem so he drill a hole in a large peice of coal filled it with gunpowder and plugged the hole up... it stopped 2 days later...

Angel...

JustMe
16-Mar-11, 01:31
Put a sign up saying " You are on camera" Then put on YouTube and put the link on here. Then i bet he will STOP

oldmarine
16-Mar-11, 02:43
Eh.. 230 posts? :confused

What does 230 post have to do with this person's post?

ducati
16-Mar-11, 08:45
What does 230 post have to do with this person's post?

droopy seemed to think it was a first post ;)

Droopy
16-Mar-11, 09:32
droopy seemed to think it was a first post ;)

Nah ducati, I was meaning the content of it, and what direction it will take on the 'Org'
You never know on here.

Will the resident experts on everthing rule supreme, or........will it become a triumph for the tounge in cheek brigade, or........will the 'my story is better than your one' come in trumphs??....:lol:

We've had someone from all the above answer so far.....;)

donnick
16-Mar-11, 16:22
I think the padlock and the light sensative activator will stop thiefs surly they wouldnt be that bloody cheeky after you fitted them .But we had to do the padlock years ago when we were getting our coal pinched .

Dadie
16-Mar-11, 17:23
Padlocks will deter a thief.
Install them on the coal bunkers doors and on the gate.

Try the cheaper easier option first.
If it doesnt work then try the lights, camera and police approach.

Simples

DO NOT USE GUNPOWDER etc in a piece as she could get into serious trouble if it hurt anyone even if they nicked the coal in the first place.

Besides its probably a neighbour or a near neighbour doing it if its a frequent occurance.

Angel
16-Mar-11, 22:28
Assuming they only nick coal from one house only. And maybe someone else planted the 'special coal'. It wasn't me officer, honest!

Angel...