PDA

View Full Version : Household hints and tips to make life easier

Leanne
15-Mar-11, 20:46
Share yours here!

I'll start...

1 - got a halogen/induction hob or granite worktop that always seems to look streaky? Spray with good old Pledge and buff for a super shiny surface

2 - fed up of cleaning the tiles in your kitchen/bathroom? Use car polish after you clean them and soap residue doesn't stick.

3 - black marks or stains on your carpet? Get some cheap shaving foam, spray on to the carpet, leave for 5 minutes and then rub with a damp cloth. Stains magically disappear! (if you have a wool carpet it's probably best to test in a 'hidden' area due to the dyes behaving differently)

annemarie482
15-Mar-11, 20:54
one word.............

VINEGAR

Phill
15-Mar-11, 21:33
Make bath nights more fun for the kids by playing 'moth aircraft carrier'. Simply float a shoebox in the bath with a torch attached. Leave a window open for ten minutes, then turn off the bathroom lights and watch as the moths attempt to make their dramatic and dangerous landings

northener
15-Mar-11, 21:47
Make a handy transporter for your pet snake by getting a discarded cardboard carpet centre roll and then attaching a roller skate at each end.

Then simply attach a piece of string to pull it along and place your snake in the tube.

PantsMAN
15-Mar-11, 21:52
Fed up with people who let their dog poop at your door/gate?

Next time, slip the poo into a plastic bag, follow them home, knock on the door, hand them the bag saying "I think you forgot something".

Surefire way to make new friends.

equusdriving
15-Mar-11, 21:57

Next time, slip the poo into a plastic bag, follow them home, knock on the door, hand them the bag saying "I think you forgot something".

or better still set light to it so when they stamp on it to put the fire out....................................

PantsMAN
15-Mar-11, 21:59
or better still set light to it so when they stamp on it to put the fire out....................................

Beautifully devious and malicious - jolly good!

John Little
15-Mar-11, 22:03
Fly annoying you?

Take one elastic band and cut it so you have a single length.

Tie knot in end.

Aim carefully at fly but approach no closer than 6 inches.
Let fly keeping hold of unknotted end.

Splat.

ducati
15-Mar-11, 22:33
When you are shot...........ah VIZ

or more practically, to make a handy garden shed, just board up all the windows in your green house.

equusdriving
15-Mar-11, 22:41
And never pat a burning dog

Corrie 3
15-Mar-11, 22:47
Become a Banker and let someone else take care of your chores!!!

Simples!!

C3....:roll:;)

Vistravi
15-Mar-11, 23:12
one word.............

VINEGAR

And baking soda!

Excellent for unblocking plugholes.

Had one recently in which the bath was draining dead slow or stop. poured in a quarter a tub and half a bottle of cheap vinegar down the plughole. After a lovely chemical reaction and a settling period of half an hour, boiled water poured down and bath drained much faster. Works in every vertical plughole! Save a fortune on mr muscle.

golach
15-Mar-11, 23:19
Share yours here!I'll start..

too Late Leanne, web site been going for a long time now http://www.hintsandthings.co.uk/

Kevin Milkins
16-Mar-11, 01:01
Share yours here!

I'll start...

1 - got a halogen/induction hob or granite worktop that always seems to look streaky? Spray with good old Pledge and buff for a super shiny surface

2 - fed up of cleaning the tiles in your kitchen/bathroom? Use car polish after you clean them and soap residue doesn't stick.

3 - black marks or stains on your carpet? Get some cheap shaving foam, spray on to the carpet, leave for 5 minutes and then rub with a damp cloth. Stains magically disappear! (if you have a wool carpet it's probably best to test in a 'hidden' area due to the dyes behaving differently)

I like all of the above idea's, and to make them even easier for me, I get Mr's M to do them for me.:lol:

Flippin Eck:eek: that was close, I thought she crept up behind then.

SunnyChick
16-Mar-11, 09:06
Pink candle wax melted into your brand new cream berber carpet?

You will need: A sheet of greasproof paper, a mug of boiling hot water and a teaspoon.

Place paper on carpet, heat spoon in water and rub spoon on paper.

It is a time intensive exercise, but works beautifully. The candle wax will melt insitu and stick to the paper.

ducati
16-Mar-11, 09:08
I hate it when that happens :mad:

orkneycadian
16-Mar-11, 21:43
A next door neighbours car aerial, carefully folded, makes an ideal coat hanger in an emergency.

joxville
16-Mar-11, 23:01
Save money on buying clothes by moving next door to someone the same size as you, just 'borrow' theirs from the washing line. :D

John Little
16-Mar-11, 23:02
Save money on buying clothes by moving next door to someone the same size as you, just 'borrow' theirs from the washing line. :D

But she might object to you borrowing her clothes....

ducati
16-Mar-11, 23:06
That reminds me, Don't spend £20 getting your favourite Armani suit dry cleaned just donate it to your local charity shop then go back the following week and buy it for £2 after they spent £20 getting it dry cleaned.

Simple huh?

joxville
16-Mar-11, 23:36
But she might object to you borrowing her clothes....

Why let a thing like gender get in the way of money saving? [lol]

John Little
17-Mar-11, 00:02
Why let a thing like gender get in the way of money saving? [lol]

Could be true - especially if that's you of a weekend in your avatar...

Dog-eared
17-Mar-11, 00:19
Yeah, nice wig and makeup mate. Didn't recognise you for a sec..

George Brims
17-Mar-11, 19:53

Years ago when we had just bought Chatau Fixitforever, I was up on the roof taking a cold drink break from my work when a woman came by who obviously thought our barren patch of weeds etc (it now has lawns and rose bushes) would make a grand loo for her dog. Just as the doggie started to squat I yelled out "Anything he leaves will follow you home". I never saw her on our street again.

Dadie
18-Mar-11, 00:32
Between a steam cleaner(most stuff), hairspray(biro), nail varnish remover(really stubborn stuff) and a carpet cleaner(things in the carpet you dont really want to investigate) you can get rid of most of the marks caused by small kids on your possessions without redecorating the whole house or serious chemical warfare!
The jml eraser works well too.

silverlady
18-Mar-11, 11:03
That reminds me, Don't spend £20 getting your favourite Armani suit dry cleaned just donate it to your local charity shop then go back the following week and buy it for £2 after they spent £20 getting it dry cleaned.

Simple huh?

LOL,brilliant!!

cherokee
18-Mar-11, 18:12
When you change the duvet cover on your bed, make sure you button/press-stud up the opening in it before putting in the washing machine.
This stops any stray pillow-cases taking refuge in said duvet cover ! LOL!

ShelleyCowie
18-Mar-11, 18:42
Cant be bothered cleaning today? Pay someone else to do it! haha! I wish :)

Cherokee i do that! I hate having washing stuck inside the duvet cover, it seems to run away when your trying to get it out! Lol.

debimac
19-Mar-11, 10:47
Between a steam cleaner(most stuff), hairspray(biro), nail varnish remover(really stubborn stuff) and a carpet cleaner(things in the carpet you dont really want to investigate) you can get rid of most of the marks caused by small kids on your possessions without redecorating the whole house or serious chemical warfare!
The jml eraser works well too.
Can i ask what steam cleaner you use?
I am looking to buy one and I am getting mixed reviews.
Word of mouth is best review I think!! Thank you.

debimac
19-Mar-11, 10:50
I have just watched Diy sos!
Fab idea when painting! Cover the radiators up with cling film!!
I think every radiator in my house has very artistic splatter design going on!! :lol:

orkneycadian
19-Mar-11, 10:57
Why stop there? Cover yourself in clingfilm before painting for an easy cleanup!

debimac
19-Mar-11, 11:03
Why stop there? Cover yourself in clingfilm before painting for an easy cleanup!
Cracking idea! Thank you :lol:

orkneycadian
19-Mar-11, 11:23
Ladies - Save yourself the anguish of trying to track down a zumba class, and the cost of admission, by simply putting on a Latin American music CD and leaping around the house!

shazzap
19-Mar-11, 12:19
Ladies - Save yourself the anguish of trying to track down a zumba class, and the cost of admission, by simply putting on a Latin American music CD and leaping around the house!

Just had a horrible thought there, of me trying to leap about the house. [lol][lol][lol]

Penelope Pitstop
19-Mar-11, 12:30
Pink candle wax melted into your brand new cream berber carpet?

You will need: A sheet of greasproof paper, a mug of boiling hot water and a teaspoon.

Place paper on carpet, heat spoon in water and rub spoon on paper.

It is a time intensive exercise, but works beautifully. The candle wax will melt insitu and stick to the paper.

Same principle works when candle wax drips on your tablecloth. Hot iron and greaseproof paper or a brown paper bag. Brown paper/greaseproof paper on the tablecloth and iron it. Keep moving the paper as the wax melts into it. Viola !! :Razz

_Ju_
19-Mar-11, 12:37
And baking soda!

Excellent for unblocking plugholes.

Had one recently in which the bath was draining dead slow or stop. poured in a quarter a tub and half a bottle of cheap vinegar down the plughole. After a lovely chemical reaction and a settling period of half an hour, boiled water poured down and bath drained much faster. Works in every vertical plughole! Save a fortune on mr muscle.

Much easier to use coca-cola. It is very acidic and works a treat. Leave coca-cola to act for a while ( ie 15 minutes) the pour boiled water down the drain.

_Ju_
19-Mar-11, 12:41

whilst covered in clingfilm?

starfish
19-Mar-11, 12:51

i done this and it works

orkneycadian
19-Mar-11, 13:08
whilst covered in clingfilm?

Well, possibly - There is a school of thought that it aids weightloss (remember the Full Monty film?) You can always try it. There is also the possibility that your husband / boyfriend / bidey in / friend for the night (delete as applicable) may view you in a different light, being all hot and sweaty, wrapped up in clingfilm and dancing to Shakira. Might work to your benefit, might not! ;)