PDA

View Full Version : Argh! Hair!!

cazmanian_minx
15-Mar-11, 19:58
Two springers, one horse, all moulting vigorously - I'm grooming everything twice a day and am a walking heap of animal hair!!

Any good tips for keeping the clouds of fur under control? One dog isn't too bad and the other has a short back and sides booked for the end of the month, but the amount of horse hair coming off Merlin this week is unbelievable - it seems the more I groom, the more he produces :lol:

Zee
15-Mar-11, 20:18
Get the hoover on him :lol:

Tatbabe
15-Mar-11, 20:50
For dog hair the 'Furminator' is really good - can highly recommend it.
You can get it on eBay or other online shops - not sure if Pets at Home have it.

dragonfly
15-Mar-11, 21:09
Breagha my choccy lab is the same CM, you can pull it out in tufts and I am brushing her daily too, 2 doodles seem to be ok but then they do cast less than the average dog anyway, just have to keep on doing it till they stop casting, least it gives the birdies some nice warm stuff for their nests

Vistravi
15-Mar-11, 23:30
Just keep brushing....eventually they'll finish casting mountains lol.

We've been quite lucky with our cat Merlin as the fur on one side is growing back so he's only casting from one side. But in general he seems not too bad for the casting to to being short haired.

cazmanian_minx
16-Mar-11, 21:54
Get the hoover on him :lol:

I'm tempted!! You should have seen him yesterday morning, he was doing bucking, snorting, prancing laps of the field, stopping at his rolling spot each time to fling himself down and plaster a new layer of mud on! I lost count after the tenth circuit.

Tatbabe, I wish we could use one, but Smokey is terrified of hoovers or any electrical gadget which makes a noise, I think a Furminator would probably put him under our bed for a week :)

Razz
16-Mar-11, 22:03
Oh the joys of spring!!!! I used to cheat and clip my horse each winter.

gmcborgie
16-Mar-11, 22:18
After reading this thread and the reviews of the "Furminator" I've just ordered one from Amazon!

Can't wait to try it out on my Labradoodle who casts loads!

Sarah
16-Mar-11, 23:39
Furminators are amazing. Seriously, the best invention for short and thick coated breeds.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
17-Mar-11, 00:40
Hey we have furminators and some cheaper versions that are cracking - we have a serious sized one in the shop at Hilltop Horse & Country (10/12 Kirk Lane , Wick) just now - do very hairy dogs or horses....

We also have shedders in the shop which are amazing at taking horse hair out and a lot lot lot cheaper that furminators - think only about 4 pound or so :-)

kel24
19-Mar-11, 19:48
Hey, after reading the positive comments on here about the Furminator, i went on amazon and ordered one for my lab, used it today for the first time and it was amazing!! What an amount of fur has come off, for anyone that is thinking of using this i advise u to have the hoover close by lol i ended up covered in his hair, but now his coat looks lovely and shiny and my floor has a lot less fur on it! :)

shoegal
06-Apr-11, 22:55
Does the horse shop in wick have these FURMINATOR things?
Cheers :)

cherokee
07-Apr-11, 09:09
Hey we have furminators and some cheaper versions that are cracking - we have a serious sized one in the shop at Hilltop Horse & Country (10/12 Kirk Lane , Wick) just now - do very hairy dogs or horses....

We also have shedders in the shop which are amazing at taking horse hair out and a lot lot lot cheaper that furminators - think only about 4 pound or so :-)

Hi shoegal.
KEEP ON TRUCKIN owns the horse shop in Wick - hope this helps.

donnick
07-Apr-11, 14:02
hover them i hover the horse she loves it.:lol: