PDA

View Full Version : New deputy police chief for the Highlands

Nwicker60
15-Mar-11, 09:53
Chief Super Andy Cowie will take up duty in May

THE Northern Joint Police Board is delighted to announce the appointment of a new deputy chief constable for Northern Constabulary.

The current Head of Support Services, Chief Superintendent Andy Cowie was selected following interviews held on Friday. Chief Superintendent Cowie will take up post on 22 May when the current Deputy Chief Constable Garry Sutherland retires.
Mr Cowie, originally of Edinburgh, studied in Aberdeen, where he gained a MA (Hons) in International Relations and Politics, after which he commenced his career in the police service in London in 1988 when he joined the Metropolitan Police. He worked in various roles moving from constable to sergeant before deciding to move north to continue his career.
In 1994, he transferred to Northern Constabulary serving in uniform roles in Inverness and Aviemore. He carried out the role of Emergency Planning Officer until 2003, when he was promoted to Chief Inspector and took on the post of Area Commander for Shetland.
Three years later he was promoted to the post of Superintendent in charge of Corporate Services before taking up the post of Divisional Commander of the East Division, during which time he also completed studies towards an MBA. In June 2009 he was appointed Chief Superintendent, Head of Support Services.
Councillor Norman MacLeod, Convenor of the Northern Joint Police Board, said: "I’m delighted that Chief Superintendent Andy Cowie has been appointed to the post of Deputy Chief Constable of Northern Constabulary. Mr Cowie clearly demonstrated vast experience and his vision for the future in difficult financial times meant he was the best suited applicant for taking on this important role. I look forward to working closely with Mr Cowie in continuing to deliver the high level of police service which is currently provided by Northern Constabulary. I wish him a very successful future in his new role."